UT School of Law Early Decision Timeline Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Julien_Benda

New

UT School of Law Early Decision Timeline

Post by Julien_Benda » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:47 pm

Just submitted ED application to UT.

Am curious if others - or perhaps past applicants - have a good sense of when I might hear back with a decision.

Website says 31 December, but other posters and off-board rumblings suggest a more abbreviated timeline.

Would be grateful for other datapoints.

Julien_Benda

New

Re: UT School of Law Early Decision Timeline

Post by Julien_Benda » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Thanks, BigZ. Had checked there and C/O 18 thread, but is awfully hard to distinguish signal from (non-ED) noise.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:00 am

Julien_Benda wrote:Thanks, BigZ. Had checked there and C/O 18 thread, but is awfully hard to distinguish signal from (non-ED) noise.
Yeah, that's probably the best (only?) collection of anecdotes on this site. I'd just keep scrolling through and see when people start reporting ED acceptances. For some reason I thought it was early November, but I could have just pulled that date out of my butt.

darth lulz

New

Post by darth lulz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:22 am

obligatory note of caution

if you have generic circumstances (e.g. not rich/do not have a butt load of savings/are paying your own living expenses) UT ED is not a terribly great outcome. many here would call it an indefensible outcome (130Kish in loans at graduation assuming you are in state)

what are you stats and why did you ed? if you are out of state you really should drop the ed right away and go regular decision. they give the tuition exemption to almost everyone from OOS; it's not worth ed-ing for

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:08 am

Well I suppose I'll just have to soldier on heart heavy with the knowledge that a bunch of directional-state K-TTTs with no direct knowledge of my plans find them indefensible.

If I'd wanted input on those matters, I would have asked.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:27 am

Julien_Benda wrote:Well I suppose I'll just have to soldier on heart heavy with the knowledge that a bunch of directional-state K-TTTs with no direct knowledge of my plans find them indefensible.

i couldn't care less what you do
but other 0Ls will find this thread in the course of their law school research
you're not going to make a thread advocating a reckless course of action for 90% of people without getting some pushback

UT ED, whether in-state or out-of-state, is an unreasonably risky (and in my opinion, indefensible and stupid) option for any student unless (a) they have very minimal cost of living expenses and in-state tuition, (b) have their tuition covered (other than the in-state stipend) by a substantial amount, or (c) have a guaranteed position lined up that can service the debt or qualifies for pslf

whether you fall into one of those categories or not is no concern of mine
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:29 am

Julien_Benda wrote:Well I suppose I'll just have to soldier on heart heavy with the knowledge that a bunch of directional-state K-TTTs with no direct knowledge of my plans find them indefensible.

What a way to be a dick.

Even if your covered by the GI bill and you're from Texas, it still might not be the best idea. Unless you have a family/kids and are already settled.

If your not significantly tied down to texas and you're covered by the GI bill, ED Michigan is the way to go.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:30 am

1. He's right about it possibly being an indefensible outcome, depending on financial circumstances.
2. Other people will read this thread and spreading the idea that ED UT is a good outcome is a disservice to them.
3. He's a not a "directional-state K-TTT"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:40 am

No ED is a good idea unless its a T14 and major money (UVA/Mich GI Bill or NU 150k).

Even UT + GI sucks balls cause your turning down the possibility of a full ride at a M or V. (which are better outcomes than H at sticker imo)

gchatbrah

Bronze

Post by gchatbrah » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:42 am

Are the people getting paternalistic about this ED decision unaware that UT ED for OOS applicants guarantees in-state tuition?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:43 am

you must be thick

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:47 am

Brut wrote:you must be thick
Don't you have a WoW raid to lead or something?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:50 am

no, i'm too busy not being a retard who can't get into UT regular decision

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:07 am

Brut wrote:no, i'm too busy not being a retard who can't get into UT regular decision
Ok, sweetheart. You enjoy that sick half-ride to DLA Piper.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:14 am

be honest, did you recruit gchat to come to your defense itt

i just checked out both of your post histories, since you clearly checked out mine

man
the depths of human denial is profound and troubling

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:31 am

Brut wrote:be honest, did you recruit gchat to come to your defense itt

i just checked out both of your post histories, since you clearly checked out mine
Good thing the LSAT didn't cover statistics. Otherwise we'd be looking at sticker to DLA Piper-land.

Perhaps you should turn your peerless powers of analysis to other pressing mysteries like the moon landing.

I'm just waiting to be enlightened...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:35 am

Julien_Benda wrote:Good thing the LSAT didn't cover statistics. Otherwise we'd be looking at sticker to DLA Piper-land.

Perhaps you should turn your peerless powers of analysis to other pressing mysteries like the moon landing.

I'm just waiting to be enlightened...
QED

darth lulz

New

Post by darth lulz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:27 am

gchatbrah wrote:Are the people getting paternalistic about this ED decision unaware that UT ED for OOS applicants guarantees in-state tuition?
completely aware

UT at in-state tuition is a relatively indefensible option if you fall under the general circumstances noted in my first post. Even if it's discounted 30K with the in-state ED, you're going to graduate with around 130K in debt, which is still pretty indefensible for UT.

you didn't notice what I said either: UT gives almost everyone from out of state the in-state tuition exemption. if they give you any scholarship at or above $1,000, it's their policy to do this: http://registrar.utexas.edu/schedules/082/tuition. You would be an idiot to ED out of state.

darth lulz

New

Post by darth lulz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:28 am

well arent you just a raging bitch

please dont come to UT

mist4bison

Gold

Post by mist4bison » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Brut wrote:

i couldn't care less what you do
but other 0Ls will find this thread in the course of their law school research
Yeah, actually found this helpful, because I wasn't aware they gave out the out-of-state exemption to most people. Super glad I found this because I was considering EDing UT (dependent on numbers)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:39 pm

darth lulz wrote:

please dont come to UT
Way to go a full fragment without using the word "indefensible."

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Julien_Benda wrote:
darth lulz wrote:

please dont come to UT
Way to go a full fragment without using the word "indefensible."
The answer to your OP - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=215988 - have fun and scroll away. And quit being a prick. I really hope I don't have any classmates like you next fall.

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:56 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote: The answer to your OP - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=215988 - have fun and scroll away.
Thanks for sharing. Before this thread was derailed by aspiring life coaches, I'd said to someone else that the problem with the c/o 17/18 threads was distinguishing between ED and RD.

Julien_Benda

New

Post by Julien_Benda » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:57 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote: And quit being a prick. I really hope I don't have any classmates like you next fall.
I wouldn't worry. I hear three syllable words are pretty uncommon in Tallahassee.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”