xx

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rigo

Diamond

Re: OK degree GPA but pretty bad LSAC GPA - What do I do??

Postby Rigo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Unless there was a reason outside of your control that contributed to the low grades (think death, health issues, etc.) then an addendum won't be helpful. Unfortunately, being young and foolish doesn't cut it.
Also, you need to shoot for way higher than a mere 160 in order for law school to be worth it for you. For Florida, you should really be looking at UF and FSU. Miami will be an awful deal as you are unlikely to get enough scholarship money with that GPA. Please do yourself a favor and cross Nova off your list.
Your prospects are looking pretty grim unfortunately. Recognize this and use it to motivate yourself to score at least high 160's on the LSAT. If you fall short, please don't financially handicap yourself and your husband by ignoring what you've heard in this thread and stubbornly going to a crappy, yet expensive, law school.

dmarieb

Bronze

Postby dmarieb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:26 pm

xx
Last edited by dmarieb on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:30 pm

dmarieb wrote:I've actually called a few large firms in the area asking about Florida International and Nova. I don't know how much the information I received is worth but I did mostly hear that if 2 applicants are exactly the same and come from the three [including U.Miami] different schools they don't rank one above the other based on the school attended.

This sounds more worrisome than reassuring.

dmarieb

Bronze

Postby dmarieb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:34 pm

xx
Last edited by dmarieb on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isuperserial

Silver

Postby isuperserial » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:43 pm

dmarieb wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
dmarieb wrote:I've actually called a few large firms in the area asking about Florida International and Nova. I don't know how much the information I received is worth but I did mostly hear that if 2 applicants are exactly the same and come from the three [including U.Miami] different schools they don't rank one above the other based on the school attended.

I think it means that it's more important to them that you're involved and doing well, no?

It shows that you apparently value subjective nonsense over objective data...

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:44 pm

dmarieb wrote:
Dirigo wrote:

I think it means that it's more important to them that you're involved and doing well, no?

Call me discerning, but if someone said my prospective school was judged the same as a TTTT, I would run for the hills.
Do yourself a favor and contact recent (post 2009) grads of UM, FIU, & Nova and ask them how they're doing and their thoughts on the value of their JD. Seek out honest feedback from those who have personally had to deal with the harsh realities of finding employment in the post-recession legal market.

isuperserial

Silver

Postby isuperserial » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:47 pm

You should look at this. I'll let the data speak for itself: http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/ ... miami/fiu/

Moneytrees

Silver

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:07 pm

I really think you should re-consider your decision to go to law school. Nobody like's shitting on people's dreams, but the reality is that a 2.6 GPA is really going to hurt you in regards to getting scholarship $$.

I get that your mind is set, but consider whether it's really worth it to take out hundreds of thousands of dollars of loans just to have a coin flip chance at being an attorney.

dmarieb

Bronze

Postby dmarieb » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:29 pm

xx
Last edited by dmarieb on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cardiowebman

New

Postby cardiowebman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:11 pm

dmarieb wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Your odds of becoming a lawyer at all if you attend any of those school are pretty bad. Getting a lawyer job in family or criminal law that will provide a salary much greater than what you're making now is very unlikely. If you could go for free it might make some sense but passing on a decent paying job to take out over 100K in loans to go to one of these schools is unconscionable, in my opinion. But that's for you (and your husband?) to decide, and you only live once I guess.

I would just be very careful about thinking that these schools do a good job creating lawyers and that being a lawyer always = money and success. None of that is true.

I don't think that being a lawyer = money and success. I have explained to my husband the employment stats and explained that just because someone has a JD does not mean they are going to get a job as a lawyer. (He's an engineer so he gets that) But we also both believe that stats aren't everything. Sometimes it really does come down to determination, interviewing skills, how well you do in school. Hopefully my LSAC GPA doesn't mean I'm going to suck in law school.

Anyway... I really think that my husband and I have talked through all the negatives and are OK with everything. We both took loans for UG and he took loans for his Masters, we're aware we are most likely going to be paying off our loans until we're dead. Stupid maybe, yes.

But I really do want to go to law school. I really do want to be a lawyer. This is NOT about me getting rich.

Like you say, success is enjoying what you do. I have had a very successful career as an entrepreneur and investor and at the age of 49 I am going to law school because I am interested in the law and will probably practice but I am not sure. Bottom line is that when you wake up every day to go to work and look forward to it, that is success!! Best of luck.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:27 pm

Sounds like you're rich though, which is a pretty drastic difference from someone who will be in debt until they die. You're bored and looking for something go spend excess money on, the OP has gotta do something to pay the bills. You can't see the difference there?

This is just an aside, but: whenever someone says they are academically interested in "the law" I seriously question whether they have ever taken a class in any other subject before. I really like school and learning and I can't think of a discipline any less intellectually stimulating than what is provided in law school. Add the case study/Socratic method and it's all the worse. I'd much rather audit like a poly sci class at a large state school than sit through anything they provide at a law school. There's nothing academically enriching or fulfilling to be had, at least based on what I have seen so far in law school. It's all a means to an end, IMO.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�