Waiting for higher GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ariel_917

New

Waiting for higher GPA

Post by ariel_917 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:42 pm

I currently have a 3.56 GPA and I am still waiting on my LSAT score but I have been scoring in the 158-160 range on the practice tests. After this semester, I will have a 3.61 GPA. Should I wait until my GPA raises in December when grades come out or is it not much of a difference. P.S I am an AA (African American) student if that matters. I am also graduating from school that is in the top 50 ranking and have had many internships/research and extracurricular experience like mock trial awards.

tortsandtiaras

Bronze

Re: Waiting for higher GPA

Post by tortsandtiaras » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:45 pm

ariel_917 wrote:I currently have a 3.56 GPA and I am still waiting on my LSAT score but I have been scoring in the 158-160 range on the practice tests. After this semester, I will have a 3.61 GPA. Should I wait until my GPA raises in December when grades come out or is it not much of a difference. P.S I am an AA (African American) student if that matters. I am also graduating from school that is in the top 50 ranking and have had many internships/research and extracurricular experience like mock trial awards.
Start and send your applications now! They will update the gpa once you send in new transcripts. Waiting until January to send in your apps is pretty late and a .05 diff is pretty dismal in my opinion.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:51 pm

legallyrose wrote:
ariel_917 wrote:I currently have a 3.56 GPA and I am still waiting on my LSAT score but I have been scoring in the 158-160 range on the practice tests. After this semester, I will have a 3.61 GPA. Should I wait until my GPA raises in December when grades come out or is it not much of a difference. P.S I am an AA (African American) student if that matters. I am also graduating from school that is in the top 50 ranking and have had many internships/research and extracurricular experience like mock trial awards.
Start and send your applications now! They will update the gpa once you send in new transcripts. Waiting until January to send in your apps is pretty late and a .05 diff is pretty dismal in my opinion.
Alternatively you could sit out this cycle and buckle down with LSAT prep. A 5 point bump in the LSAT will do you way more good than a .05 boost to GPA. Also, do you still have another semester left after this or are you graduating in December? A similar bump in the Spring would be helpful for you application and would not come in time to have a noticeable effect on your outcomes this cycle.

ariel_917

New

Post by ariel_917 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:01 pm

hoos89 wrote:
legallyrose wrote:
Alternatively you could sit out this cycle and buckle down with LSAT prep. A 5 point bump in the LSAT will do you way more good than a .05 boost to GPA. Also, do you still have another semester left after this or are you graduating in December? A similar bump in the Spring would be helpful for you application and would not come in time to have a noticeable effect on your outcomes this cycle.
I graduate in the spring. Yes I was thinking of taking a year off if I do not get the LSAT score that I want because I don't really have enough time to study for the December LSAT and make a big improvement.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Don't settle for anything less than the best LSAT you can get. You can most likely score higher than 160 if you try hard enough. You're in a range where each additional point can be very valuable.

Take a look at lawschoolnumbers.com and I think you will see what I mean.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”