ED and applying to Canadian law schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:59 pm

WeeBey

Silver

Re: ED and applying to Canadian law schools

Post by WeeBey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:20 pm

smccgrey wrote:
canadianbrother wrote:
smccgrey wrote:Guys. Montreal. Cheap, fun, and always something interesting to do.
isnt the job market pretty crappy in MTL?
It's no worse than the rest of the country - I haven't any trouble finding decent jobs. Though I imagine it varies between industries.

It's definitely a great city for students.
If i get some acceptances im gonna reward myself and go up there for reading week

P.J.Fry

Bronze

Post by P.J.Fry » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:34 pm

canadianbrother wrote:
Compare NY first year to Canadian articling. 75k toronto, 70k cal, 50k van. And van salaries plateau much quicker than toronto and calgary.

And Toronto COL isnt that bad, in toronto you have options that are cheap, if you look you can find it. but i here vancouver is just expensive no matter how much you look.
Yes, the articling salaries in Van are pretty unfortunate. Being as it is only for 10 months though, I'd be willing to take that hit in order to not have to spend the next decade living in Calgary (I've lived and worked there as well). It certainly works in favor of the Toronto argument for me though.

Vancouver, like Toronto, gets cheaper the further away you are from the prime areas (Downtown, Kitsilano, Kerrisdale etc.). Things get much more reasonable in East Van, and even further so if you head out to Burnaby, Coquitlam, Surrey or other suburbs which are just a skytrain away from Downtown. You will not find anything cheap anywhere close to Bay St., and most reasonably priced Toronto accommodation will similarly require a commute.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:45 pm

canadianbrother wrote:You'd rather live in DC than Toronto? Eww
Toronto is probably the best city in North America after NY and LA.

I can see how schools would not want you to ED and then go to a peer school in the T14, but why would they do that to an international student? I can't see a school not letting you out of a ED contract if your unable to study in the states, or if you actually can't get any loans and its impossible for you to attend any school in the US, but your able to attend a Canadian school for gov't loans. Remember their people too.
You should probably check with the schools you're considering about their policies on this before you rely on this. At least in the US, it has nothing to do with whether you're ditching the school for a peer school. You could ED to Columbia and then want to withdraw to go to Cooley and it would be against the rules. And if you can't get funding in the US, the contract likely precludes you from going to another law school at all - after all, no one made you apply to law school without knowing if you could fund it.

(Don't mean to sound critical, just wanted to throw out what I think law schools might say.)

mpc347

Bronze

Post by mpc347 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:10 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”