Diversity Statement Questions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Silver

Diversity Statement Questions

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Under what circumstances should those who are white/ white-Non-URM mixed write diversity statements?
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

patogordo

Gold

Re: Another white dood wants 2 do a diversity statement

Post by patogordo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:13 pm

i think it's risky. adcoms are likely to wonder why you would willingly leave the U.S. and put yourself at risk, knowing that your family would suffer greatly if you were murdered.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:01 pm

Depending on where you lived and why, I think you could write a credible diversity statement. The key question is whether you have a certain perspective that would enrich the law school community. A couple of years bartending in Europe won't give you much perspective, but 10 years in Pakistan might.

sideroxylon

Gold

Post by sideroxylon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:12 pm

it's not going to help you

what's your LSAT? do you need the bump?

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:16 pm

patogordo wrote:i think it's risky. adcoms are likely to wonder why you would willingly leave the U.S. and put yourself at risk, knowing that your family would suffer greatly if you were murdered.
Spot on. Don't think the benefit outweighs the risks here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:21 pm

I think it will make you come across like a selfish asshole

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:28 pm

Unless you were a merc or something of that nature, I would assume you were doing something different than most people. If you just traveled a lot for pleasure, no. If you were a US soldier that spent the 6 years of your adult life in combat, sure. What's the deal?
Last edited by RCSOB657 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

IPmaybe

New

Post by IPmaybe » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:51 pm

If you could cover it in your personal statement (unless you are completely redoing the personal statement and are planning on completely ignoring this part of your story), I don't see what writing a separate diversity statement would get you.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:56 pm

IPmaybe wrote:If you could cover it in your personal statement (unless you are completely redoing the personal statement and are planning on completely ignoring this part of your story), I don't see what writing a separate diversity statement would get you.
This is pretty damning, coming from someone who sincerely advocated last week that a upper-middle class white girl from Minnesota should write a diversity statement about working in IT

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:05 pm

Retake for money
Last edited by RZ5646 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:11 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Question: let's say I'm white but I'm lower-middle class and the first person in my family to go to college. Does that make me diverse?

Seems to me like class has a much greater effect on academic achievement than race, so it's kinda ridiculous that for example Obama's kids would get a URM bonus but the kid from Good Will Hunting would not.
makes sense. i would include this argument in your diversity statement so they understand why you're writing it, though.

IPmaybe

New

Post by IPmaybe » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:16 pm

McAvoy wrote:
IPmaybe wrote:If you could cover it in your personal statement (unless you are completely redoing the personal statement and are planning on completely ignoring this part of your story), I don't see what writing a separate diversity statement would get you.
This is pretty damning, coming from someone who sincerely advocated last week that a upper-middle class white girl from Minnesota should write a diversity statement about working in IT
I sincerely don't understand your anger about different opinions of diversity, but either way, I did not advocate anything in that post. I presented a possible scenario that the OP may be able to present in a diversity statement. If you believe that equals advocacy then so be it. I never suggested she should or that it would come out as a great statement. I just pushed back against all of you very angry anti-diversity crowd about a white woman being incapable of being diverse according to law school admissions (when in fact, and in opposition to your thoughts of how diversity works, many law school applications define diversity very broadly). Others in the thread suggested she include those aspects in a personal statement. I happen to agree, if those aspects fit into her personal statement.

It's the same for this scenario. I believe the OP could write a compelling diversity statement (even as a white male), but why do that if you are going to include it in a personal statement. It's the same for members of the LGBT community. If it's a major plot point in your personal statement, don't be redundant in the diversity statement. They are different yet interrelated stories.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:19 pm

RZ5646 wrote:Question: let's say I'm white but I'm lower-middle class and the first person in my family to go to college. Does that make me diverse?

Seems to me like class has a much greater effect on academic achievement than race, so it's kinda ridiculous that for example Obama's kids would get a URM bonus but the kid from Good Will Hunting would not.
basically my scenario too; still wouldn't write about it though. Worry about your numbers instead and everything will take care of itself.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:20 pm

IPmaybe wrote:
McAvoy wrote:
I sincerely don't understand your anger about different opinions of diversity, but either way, I did not advocate anything in that post. I presented a possible scenario that the OP may be able to present in a diversity statement. If you believe that equals advocacy then so be it. I never suggested she should or that it would come out as a great statement. I just pushed back against all of you very angry anti-diversity crowd about a white woman being incapable of being diverse according to law school admissions (when in fact, and in opposition to your thoughts of how diversity works, many law school applications define diversity very broadly). Others in the thread suggested she include those aspects in a personal statement. I happen to agree, if those aspects fit into her personal statement.

It's the same for this scenario. I believe the OP could write a compelling diversity statement (even as a white male), but why do that if you are going to include it in a personal statement. It's the same for members of the LGBT community. If it's a major plot point in your personal statement, don't be redundant in the diversity statement. They are different yet interrelated stories.
This makes me very angry

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:28 pm

McAvoy wrote:

basically my scenario too; still wouldn't write about it though. Worry about your numbers instead and everything will take care of itself.
Why? You've been raging against people writing diversity essays on several threads now. What's your deal? If a kid grew up in destitute poverty, worked multiple jobs through high school to afford to even apply to school, and was the first one of his family to get a secondary education, then there's nothing wrong with writing a diversity statement about that, as long as those things haven't been touched in his/her PS.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:33 pm

You might want to look at OP's very recent post history before you start going full retard on each other re: diversity statements.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:34 pm

You guys are going to be fantastic law students.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:38 pm

just print this thread to pdf an attach it to your application

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
McAvoy wrote:

Why? You've been raging against people writing diversity essays on several threads now. What's your deal? If a kid grew up in destitute poverty, worked multiple jobs through high school to afford to even apply to school, and was the first one of his family to get a secondary education, then there's nothing wrong with writing a diversity statement about that, as long as those things haven't been touched in his/her PS.
LOL how have I been raging? Please feel free to quote and demonstrate. Also this thread is flame.

But I think that, as a general rule, a white kid doing a diversity statement is more of a liability than a potential boost. Fair or unfair, fact of the matter is that race is what is important in getting a diversity boost. They do these to cover their asses and try to justify diversifying, how one 0L put it recently, "the voice of [their] law school community." A white kid who has overcome socioeconomic/family background obstacles in getting to law school can risk coming across as a lot of things they don't intend when they do a diversity statement, and, even if they avoid that, it's probably not going to really help -- or at least that's what the data indicate.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:46 pm

Or don't. Impotent raging also works.

gatesome

Bronze

Post by gatesome » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:58 pm

McAvoy wrote:But I think that, as a general rule, a white kid doing a diversity statement is more of a liability than a potential boost. Fair or unfair, fact of the matter is that race is what is important in getting a diversity boost.
Racist bullshit.

Law schools already know your race from other parts of your application (unless you choose not to disclose). If they only care about race, there is no need for a diversity statement at all.

The only way a diversity statement is a liability is if you're a terrible writer and submit sixteen pages of "I have black friends."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:01 pm

gatesome wrote: Law schools already know your race from other parts of your application (unless you choose not to disclose). If they only care about race, there is no need for a diversity statement at all.
check you supreme court cases

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:02 pm

patogordo wrote:
gatesome wrote: Law schools already know your race from other parts of your application (unless you choose not to disclose). If they only care about race, there is no need for a diversity statement at all.
check you supreme court cases

BillsFan9907

Silver

Diversity Statement Questions

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:07 pm

Okay thanks.
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Turning to a discussion on AA. Good stuff, I'm intrigued.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”