What to do? 176 LSAT PT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hopefulsplitter93

Silver

Re: What to do? 176 LSAT PT

Post by hopefulsplitter93 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:56 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
hopefulsplitter93 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:how bad was your GPA last semester? To go from a 3.7 after 2.5 years to a 3.1 after 3 years is pretty remarkable.

If last semester you really got like straight D's or whatever then yes you'll want to write an addendum.
EDIT: I am shying away from an addendum if my padding can yield a median GPA as to not draw attention. I'm really torn in a lot of directions, I wish I was done with all of this UG business because I really enjoyed studying for the LSAT, now I have to put that to the side as I can only receive A's, A-s from here on out. I will also be delaying graduation and taking a fair amount of summer courses (pending someone proving to me that CC courses will ruin my admission chances). I have a sneaking suspicion that schools are still more concerned about their bottom line.

Yeah, it was really bad. At the time I was taking finance honors classes (the regular finance classes at my school yield a 3.3). My grandfather and my aunt being diagnosed with cancer really ended up hitting me hard, I spent most of my time with them in the hospital and that didn't bode well for my derivatives classes. On a lighter note, what is your opinion on GPA padding? I have some master scheme for the rest of my days at UG that should land me right in between the 25-50 mark GPA wise at NYU. I understand that my actual LSAT may (probably) deviate from my highest diagnostic of 176 but I feel that with a median GPA this wont really be an issue. Thoughts/suggestions?
I don't think you can mathematically have a median GPA. If even possible, having a pile of Cs and Ds is going to raise some eyebrows. You really should write something short and to the point.

I forgot to mention that I just recalucated my GPA using my official transcripts (and that LSAC calc) and am currently sitting at a 3.34 (I've attended multiple UGs.) I'm going to be taking on some more majors/minors not for the purpose of a resume or anything just for the grades and the fact that I really enjoyed the professors who taught them....not to mention they are logic classes and will be useful for LSAT prep in some way. I do agree though that given the circumstances I should write a letter. There is just a part of me that doesn't want to write the addendum because I acknowledge the fact that many students lose loved ones during UG and I don't want to come off as someone who is whining.

hopefulsplitter93

Silver

Post by hopefulsplitter93 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:00 am

I should also note that I am 100% committed to going to law school (thats worthwhile) and willing to do anything it takes to get my GPA there. Would an extra year with a new major be frowned upon? I would also be taking summer classes at a CC or my UG, whichever one makes more sense once summer courses are released.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:35 pm

hopefulsplitter93 wrote:I should also note that I am 100% committed to going to law school (thats worthwhile) and willing to do anything it takes to get my GPA there. Would an extra year with a new major be frowned upon? I would also be taking summer classes at a CC or my UG, whichever one makes more sense once summer courses are released.
It wouldn't be frowned on. I mean, it's not the norm to do 5 years but when you're already not a 4 year straight through student, and will already be writing an addendum for your personal situation (I don't think your concern in the post above is necessary - it's neither their business nor their place to judge whether your reaction to two deaths is reasonable, they really aren't going to be put off by it), I think that fitting into the mold isn't really a concern. I would also calculate your best possible GPA (via LSAC because you might be wrong) both with and without the extra year. If you're going to be below median but above 3.4 either way, it's not really worth the trouble).

hopefulsplitter93

Silver

Post by hopefulsplitter93 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
hopefulsplitter93 wrote:I should also note that I am 100% committed to going to law school (thats worthwhile) and willing to do anything it takes to get my GPA there. Would an extra year with a new major be frowned upon? I would also be taking summer classes at a CC or my UG, whichever one makes more sense once summer courses are released.
It wouldn't be frowned on. I mean, it's not the norm to do 5 years but when you're already not a 4 year straight through student, and will already be writing an addendum for your personal situation (I don't think your concern in the post above is necessary - it's neither their business nor their place to judge whether your reaction to two deaths is reasonable, they really aren't going to be put off by it), I think that fitting into the mold isn't really a concern. I would also calculate your best possible GPA (via LSAC because you might be wrong) both with and without the extra year. If you're going to be below median but above 3.4 either way, it's not really worth the trouble).
I'm at a 3.3 lsac (used my actual transcripts from past UGs, nice surprise). I have 43 credits remaining and will be taking an additional 30 via summer/winter courses. I think that I really should be able to bring myself to a 3.5-6....really working toward that .6 to alleviate their numbers concerns.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:57 pm

the tls hivemind would frown on it b/c it's kind of a wasted year of your life. you could be getting work/new life experiences w/ a year or two in-between. you're in a holding pattern in school that adds little value to your life beyond ls admissions.

if in your extra year you cram in 50 credits of a's will it help you greatly in ls admissions? absolutely.

and to your grains of salt question, it's pretty established here any school that's not hys (which you have no real shot at either way) don't give a fuck if your grades are from a CC or Princeton.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopefulsplitter93

Silver

Post by hopefulsplitter93 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 am

McAvoy wrote:the tls hivemind would frown on it b/c it's kind of a wasted year of your life. you could be getting work/new life experiences w/ a year or two in-between. you're in a holding pattern in school that adds little value to your life beyond ls admissions.

if in your extra year you cram in 50 credits of a's will it help you greatly in ls admissions? absolutely.

and to your grains of salt question, it's pretty established here any school that's not hys (which you have no real shot at either way) don't give a fuck if your grades are from a CC or Princeton.
even granted circumstances (Junior starts taking random classes at CC in between semesters)? this is literally the last time I will ever ask this question because I'm starting to piss myself off at this point....thanks for responses, they are appreciated

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:57 am

Yeah the first thing you're going to want to do, is convert that PT into an actual scoar.

hopefulsplitter93

Silver

Post by hopefulsplitter93 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:09 am

Clearly wrote:Yeah the first thing you're going to want to do, is convert that PT into an actual scoar.
I've put PT's on hold until I get a reasonable GPA....my life usually happens in this backward manner

EDIT: it would be one thing if my GPA was at an acceptable level now, but to fuck up in school devoting all my effort to LSAT only to find out I don't hit my PT score (more than likely) I will be miserable

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:17 am

huh? No. Take the LSAT sooner than later. If you're actually PTing that high then keep studying now and convert it. It'll take a lot more effort to get back to that level if you shut it down for several months.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:35 am

McAvoy wrote:huh? No. Take the LSAT sooner than later. If you're actually PTing that high then keep studying now and convert it. It'll take a lot more effort to get back to that level if you shut it down for several months.
this. you should be able to do both at the same time

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”