A couple questions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GruffGadfly

New

A couple questions

Post by GruffGadfly » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:01 pm

I've been lurking on these forums for over a year now, and I really appreciate the time and effort many of you have put in to helping people on here.

I'm a 25 year old freshman (possibly sophomore; explained later), and while I know it's a bit early to be trying to set anything in stone, I like to plan ahead. While I've been aware of the importance of the LSAT for a while, I have yet prepare in any way. I intend to put in at least 6 months of study following my UG graduation.

Anyways, my first question has to do with LSAT predictors. Specifically, which is a better predictor of future LSAT performance: performance on previous LSATs or on pretests designed to help those taking the current test?

I found the '07 test last night, and decided to give it a shot to see how I would do without study. I scored a 167, though this is obviously not accurate because I didn't check my start/stop times. I don't believe I took more than a couple hours, maybe a little less. I feel that I have reason to be optimistic about my future results (assuming adequate preparation), but I don't know if the test has changed substantially in content or difficulty in the last seven years, or whether it's expected to in the next three.

My second question is about grade padding. As with many others, I bombed my first semester (back in '08, just started again this spring). No excuses, nothing worthy of an addendum, just a depressed drunk. That being said, I'm ball-parking my best possible GPA (based on performance so far, interest and competence in my major field of study) as about 3.75. What is the consensus on taking easy summer classes to pad one's LSAC gpa? It seems like even a string of A's is only likely to bring me up to a bit above 3.8. Is a potential .5 gpa bump worth the investment in both money and time?

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks in advance for any advice offered.

edit: while I have done a few searches, it seems like many of the threads that might contain relevant information are several years old, and I'm hoping to receive advice/opinions on more recent trends (assuming trends have shifted at all).

hillz

Silver

Re: A couple questions

Post by hillz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:22 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by pretests. If you're referencing preptests, then those are previously administered tests (and yes, you should use them to study). A 167 is a great place to start.

If I were you, I would save the money you would spend on summer classes to purchase LSAT study materials later on (like preptests, the Bibles, and Cambridge packets) and work to boost your LSAT score. You're in a good place!

GruffGadfly

New

Post by GruffGadfly » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. And yeah, heh, I meant preptests. I hadn't realized that they were previously administered exams, good to know.

I may still do summer classes just to keep myself busy, but I won't treat them as obligatory. (although I certainly won't slack; I know they can still HURT me if I blow one off.

Another question, if you don't mind: while I know many questions I might have about chances at various schools will be met with a link to myLSN and the like (as well as reminding me that's it's awfully early to be focusing on it), is there a reliable source (other than simply published medians) of information on admissions stats that doesn't rely solely on self reporting?

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Check out Law School Transparency if you haven't already for more solid info. http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/
Also, there is an awesome Google Doc that some TLSers have put together with all of the current median LSAT & GPA and class size info here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=234059

I think, other than that, mylsn (as you mentioned) is the only real place you can enter your stats and see info on law school acceptances and scholarships. It's self-reported, but it's the best we've got!

GruffGadfly

New

Post by GruffGadfly » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks again for all the info, you've been a lot of help.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:23 pm

no, trends haven't shifted much
although standards are lower and certain schools may be more numbers-oriented

preptests: do them strictly timed, 35 minutes per section, back to back
good for you on the 167, if that was your first exposure to the test, i'd bet you end up safely in the 170s

yes, pad your grades if the cost is reasonable
if it's a state school and you're living at home, sure, go ahead
expensive private school and you're paying living expenses, that's a different story

GruffGadfly

New

Post by GruffGadfly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Local community college at the moment, so I can afford the extra for summer classes. Targeting Chapel Hill or Vandy for transfer, so extra classes may or may not be doable then.

I'll make sure to time future PTs. Is there a place to get them cheap or free? Once I start to really buckle down, I'll shell out for as many as recommended, but I figure until then a bit of practice can't hurt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”