moderate GPA with 2 minicourse fails Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chanbaik

New

moderate GPA with 2 minicourse fails

Post by chanbaik » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:17 am

hi guys,
I graduated from one of the schools from (UCLA, USC, UMICH, Gtown) with a double major in economics and asian studies honors. My GPA is not that bad (very personal and relative here, around 3.68), didnt take LSAT yet. I also complete my degree in 3 years so I guess that could appeal to admission committees.

My concern is this. After the freshmen year, I took two geoscience minicourses (1 credit each) and failed them. :( luckly i didnt take them with credits so they just appear as fails, not counted towards GPA. Still, I am greatly concerned and devasted as I am preparing to apply sometime next year.

With all those facts counted, what will my chance be getting into one of the schools from T14 (My first choice will be from columbia, stanford, nyu, umich, ucberkeley, gtown, northwestern)? Please save me from this devastation.

Thanks

whitespider

Silver

Re: moderate GPA with 2 minicourse fails

Post by whitespider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:19 am

chanbaik wrote:hi guys,
I graduated from one of the schools from (UCLA, USC, UMICH, Gtown) with a double major in economics and asian studies honors. My GPA is not that bad (very personal and relative here, around 3.68), didnt take LSAT yet. I also complete my degree in 3 years so I guess that could appeal to admission committees.

My concern is this. After the freshmen year, I took two geoscience minicourses (1 credit each) and failed them. :( luckly i didnt take them with credits so they just appear as fails, not counted towards GPA. Still, I am greatly concerned and devasted as I am preparing to apply sometime next year.

With all those facts counted, what will my chance be getting into one of the schools from T14 (My first choice will be from columbia, stanford, nyu, umich, ucberkeley, gtown, northwestern)? Please save me from this devastation.

Thanks
I'm confused. You audited them and it still displays a grade?

chanbaik

New

Post by chanbaik » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:32 am

whitespider wrote:
chanbaik wrote:hi guys,

Thanks
I'm confused. You audited them and it still displays a grade?
I didnt transfer them to the LSAC CAS system yet. Will two fails disapper after when they are processed?

whitespider

Silver

Post by whitespider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:39 am

No, I mean on your school's transcript. Does it in any way indicate that the class is worth one credit? If so, then there's a VERY good chance it will count against your GPA.

When I've seen audited classes in the past, I've never seen a grade listed with it. Wouldn't it usually say Au or something similar in place of the grade? That's the root of my confusion.

EDIT: And don't double-post questions in multiple forums. Admins tend to frown upon that.

chanbaik

New

Post by chanbaik » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:49 am

whitespider wrote:No, I mean on your school's transcript. Does it in any way indicate that the class is worth one credit? If so, then there's a VERY good chance it will count against your GPA.

When I've seen audited classes in the past, I've never seen a grade listed with it. Wouldn't it usually say Au or something similar in place of the grade? That's the root of my confusion.

EDIT: And don't double-post questions in multiple forums. Admins tend to frown upon that.

this is what it says. sorry I am new to the forum and the two were my first posts. thanks for yor help

Spring 2011 GRADE HOURS MSH CTP MHP

ECON 101 Principle Econ I A+ 3.00 3.00 3.00 12.00
ENGLISH 125 College Writing A 4.00 4.00 4.00 16.00
GEOSCI 105 Continent Adr P/F F 1.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
GEOSCI 113 Planets&Moons P/F F 1.00 0.00 0.00 0.0

Term Total GPA: 4.000 9.00 7.00 7.00 28.00
Cumulative Total GPA: 3.809 31.00 56.00 118.10

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whitespider

Silver

Post by whitespider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:50 am

So, you didn't audit them. According to your transcript, you took them pass/fail.

Which means those "F"s will factor into your LSAC GPA and drag it down a bit.

Sorry dude/dudette.

chanbaik

New

Post by chanbaik » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:53 am

well gotta try harder for lsat then! thanks for your help. greatly appreciated

whitespider

Silver

Post by whitespider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:56 am

BTW: One thing that stands out from what you posted is your A+. Not many schools grant them, and LSAC counts them at 4.33 quality points instead of the 4.0 quality points your university does. If you have a few of those that could bump you up a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”