Nerves Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
InPursuitOfaPassion

New

Nerves

Post by InPursuitOfaPassion » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:40 pm

This has little bearing on anything, but I'm curious to know if any of you get nervouse before practice exams? I get super nervous before them and find myself weird for it, but know that it's because I feel as though each practice test is an indication of where I'm at...so Im nervous to find out. Anyone else find they go through this? And any of those who have gone through it and written the actual exam, were your test day nerves about the same as practice test days, worse, or less?

Cradle6

Bronze

Re: Nerves

Post by Cradle6 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:59 pm

InPursuitOfaPassion wrote:This has little bearing on anything, but I'm curious to know if any of you get nervouse before practice exams? I get super nervous before them and find myself weird for it, but know that it's because I feel as though each practice test is an indication of where I'm at...so Im nervous to find out. Anyone else find they go through this? And any of those who have gone through it and written the actual exam, were your test day nerves about the same as practice test days, worse, or less?
Nerves are of course worse on the actual test, but I feel you'll push yourself to be "in the zone."

I did about 30 PTs before the my actual LSAT, so I tried to just tell myself "this is just another PT."

Some light warm ups (a logic game or two, a few flaw questions) the morning of also helped me to be ready.

InPursuitOfaPassion

New

Post by InPursuitOfaPassion » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:09 pm

Yeah, see Im not sure that it's necessarily the case that nerves will be worse on test day. I'm inclined to believe, based on reports from people who have written it, that it's generally the case. But because individuals differ, it's possible that some people may be no more nervous than during practice because by the time they write the actual exam, they'll have developed enough confidence that, as you said, it's just another day writing the exam. I could be entirely wrong, though. Maybe it's impossible to escape the hightened anxiety.

Cradle6

Bronze

Post by Cradle6 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:51 pm

InPursuitOfaPassion wrote:Yeah, see Im not sure that it's necessarily the case that nerves will be worse on test day. I'm inclined to believe, based on reports from people who have written it, that it's generally the case. But because individuals differ, it's possible that some people may be no more nervous than during practice because by the time they write the actual exam, they'll have developed enough confidence that, as you said, it's just another day writing the exam. I could be entirely wrong, though. Maybe it's impossible to escape the hightened anxiety.
I think it's unavoidable before the test starts (while they're passing it out...nerve wracking).

But once you start I think most people forget where they are and just focus.

MidwestLifer

Bronze

Post by MidwestLifer » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:59 pm

I'd get a little nervous before PTs too. I have no logic behind why. Even more nervous when grading them! I think it's a good thing because you'll be nervous when you test, so you'll be used to that.

For me, thankfully, the nerves on the real thing went away after the first five questions or so and I feel back into the rhythm of "oh, I've done this 30-40 times already."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:23 pm

Cradle6 wrote: But once you start I think most people forget where they are and just focus.
This is what happened to me, every 35 minutes. Then a mini freakout, followed by another 35 minutes.

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:59 pm

InPursuitOfaPassion wrote:This has little bearing on anything, but I'm curious to know if any of you get nervouse before practice exams? I get super nervous before them and find myself weird for it, but know that it's because I feel as though each practice test is an indication of where I'm at...so Im nervous to find out. Anyone else find they go through this? And any of those who have gone through it and written the actual exam, were your test day nerves about the same as practice test days, worse, or less?
I did about 50 PTs before I sat for the actual test, and was very nervous for my last PT (about 3 days before the exam). This really freaked me out, but on test day I had zero nerves. I can't say why, but I just felt prepared. I ended up with a 7 point increase, so I can't complain.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:57 am

Take some beta blockers and or low dose xanax if it's really bad on actual test day

xylocarp

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by xylocarp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:36 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”