when to write why X optional essays Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sesto elemento

Gold

Re: when to write why X optional essays

Post by sesto elemento » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 pm

walterwhite wrote:how profound should our why x statements be? I mean I know I need something stronger than "I'm applying to your school bc its T14," but exactly how much stronger?

I've read some threads where people said they've basically just done research on the school's web site and wrote about things that interested them. Is that a good idea? It sounds like that could lead to a very bland essay...
lol that's basically what I did. Throw in a thing or two about joining xyz club/org/assoc and rave about their employment numbers in a certain market and i think you're good.

Bilka

Bronze

Post by Bilka » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:02 pm

Would submitting a Why X letter lower your chances of scholarship money?

If the school can see that you are very likely to attend if admitted, wouldn't they be less inclined to offer more money?

dontdoitkid

Bronze

Post by dontdoitkid » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:38 am

walterwhite wrote:does anybody know how Georgetown or Cornell views these essays?
I'd like to know this is as well, specifically about Cornell.

Canof09

New

Post by Canof09 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:15 pm

I was a strong CCN candidate with an outside shot an HYS. I didn't write why X essays for Duke, NYU, Penn, or Virginia, and I didn't get in to any of them. I wrote why X essays for Michigan, GULC, and NU and I got in to all of them with good scholarship. Ended up deciding between matching scholarship offers from Uchicago & Columbia. Didn't write why X for either.

I would write them if I were you. I feel like it made a difference with most of the T14 for me. However, I seriously doubt that HYS and Columbia/UChi care very much. Maybe NYU is in this group as well, not really sure. NYU didn't like me for whatever reason, but I can't say that the outcome would have been any different if I would have written the why X essay.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:03 am

walterwhite wrote:how profound should our why x statements be? I mean I know I need something stronger than "I'm applying to your school bc its T14," but exactly how much stronger?

I've read some threads where people said they've basically just done research on the school's web site and wrote about things that interested them. Is that a good idea? It sounds like that could lead to a very bland essay...
I wrote about location and areas the school has that interests me. It's a very short essay so it's not like you can get into too much detail as is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

walterwhite

Bronze

Post by walterwhite » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Is Why Duke supposed to be different than the other Why X's? Their prompt asks "about why you have chosen to apply to law school in general and Duke in particular. We are interested in the factors that have prompted your interest in a legal career and the ways in which you think Duke can further that interest. "

So should I basically write a "Why Law" for my "Why Duke?" :?

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:52 pm

Last edited by ChemEng1642 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:11 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:Eh I think that the Duke one is more of a spend two to three sentences on your goals and why law and the majority of it on how Duke will help you achieve those goals. On of the other school's prompts was also phrased like that but I can't remember which one right now - that's what I did for that.

There seem to be a lot of mixed reviews on whether a Why Chicago or a Why NYU should be written and those are the two I am on the fence about. Hmm...
In my opinion (take with a grain of salt, but I like to pretend it's logical): it won't hurt. Worst case scenario is they don't read it and just throw it away. Best case is they read it and it gives you a tiny boost.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Last edited by ChemEng1642 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Force J.D.'s

New

Post by Force J.D.'s » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:51 pm

Bilka wrote:Would submitting a Why X letter lower your chances of scholarship money?

If the school can see that you are very likely to attend if admitted, wouldn't they be less inclined to offer more money?
This.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”