Whether to Apply Part-Time or Full-Time Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mwallace930

New

Whether to Apply Part-Time or Full-Time

Post by mwallace930 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:46 am

I'm beginning the application process right now, and considering George Washington U. My LSAT/GPA is 162/3.67, which puts me in at around the 30%ile/50%ile, roughly, for full-time admitted students, but gives me a significant boost in the LSAT %ile for the part-time admittance. I have been out of undergrad for seven years, have a masters in U.S. history from a prestigious university, and significant international work experience, so I have several "soft" factors in my favor. Considering that GW has a 44% acceptance rate for full-time versus 19% for part-time, I'm torn as to which would be increasing my chances for acceptance. To be clear, I do not have a job that necessitates part-time study, so my goal would be to secure admittance, and then find a job in my field of interest for that year before transferring to the full-time program.

What do you think? I'm not sure if the acceptance rate is deceptive and I should go for where I'm a more prominent candidate, or play the acceptance rate numbers and assume that, since I fall within the 25%-75% range for both categories, I stand a good chance of admittance.

Thanks.

haus

Gold

Re: Whether to Apply Part-Time or Full-Time

Post by haus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:43 am

You can opt to have your application considered for both part-time and full-time programs.

Although, as someone who is going down the PT path, I would not advise the PT path, unless you do have a compelling reason to do so (e.g. a quality job)

Good Luck,

penncon

New

Post by penncon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Is there no way you can retake the LSAT? You're already at their GPA median. If you could bump it up to a 166-167, you'll be at median for both.

A few people with your current stats got in last year. Check out the data points:
http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1415

If you decide to go part-time you have to weigh the extra year of tuition and the missed year of salary.

mwallace930

New

Post by mwallace930 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:32 am

I considered retaking it, as I was testing at 167 before taking a slump on the actual test back in February. However, I work overseas and wouldn't be able to retake the exam until December. I only arrive back in the States in early-to-mid November, so that would give me three weeks of prep. Doing a cost-benefit analysis, I decided it would be better to get my applications in early rather than invest my time in studying for a retest, when three weeks doesn't really give me much time to relearn the methods, etc.

Thanks for the advice on being able to apply for both, and also your personal experience doing PT. That pushes me more towards full-time, considering I don't have a quality job.

Best,

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:13 am

Well you might get in but with that lsat you're not getting a scholarship that would make attending not a batshit crazy idea. Absolutely need to retake here.. What exactly is preventing you from studying while overseas? You might want to run that cost benefit analysis one more time.

Also your softs are pretty close to meaningless, unfortunately. (Not saying your softs personally, just in general)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”