Should I wait for retake score or submit now and update? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lurkerrr

New

Should I wait for retake score or submit now and update?

Post by lurkerrr » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:27 am

My stats now are: 165/3.78
I'm pretty confident I can get a 170+ in September (misbubbled in June and didn't find out till I got my score :shock: ) The thing is the earlier the better, so should I wait for my retake score, which will be around mid-late October, and then submit all my applications or can I at least submit to some of my target schools and update them with my new score once it's out? When will they normally make a decision? My concern is that they will probably reject/wl me even before I get my retake score..

P.S. I have got all my Personal Statement/Diversity Statement/Optional Essays/LoRs ready.

My target schools are: CLS, NYU, Penn, UVA, Michigan, Northwestern

so above all: wait? or submit some of my applications?

whitespider

Silver

Re: Should I wait for retake score or submit now and update?

Post by whitespider » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:55 am

Wait. Definitely wait.

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:02 am

I'd wait. Applying immediately once you have your new score in mid-late October isn't going to do you any harm, as it's still pretty early in the cycle.

lilkrnq

New

Post by lilkrnq » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:12 pm

whitespider wrote:Wait. Definitely wait.
I'm curious about this too. Waiting until near end of October is something I understand but what about for December? Anybody have thoughts?

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:24 pm

If you think you can get above 170, but you only have a 165 then you shouldn't apply until you get to 170 or until you've used up all your retakes. And December isn't that late anymore. Take your time. Apply in December if you have a 170 at that time. Take the LSAT a third time and wait until next year if you don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iVi

Bronze

Post by iVi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:15 am

Nomo wrote:If you think you can get above 170, but you only have a 165 then you shouldn't apply until you get to 170 or until you've used up all your retakes. And December isn't that late anymore. Take your time. Apply in December if you have a 170 at that time. Take the LSAT a third time and wait until next year if you don't.
As someone who will be taking the Dec. LSAT in Korea (retaking a 169 from June, for personal reasons cannot take Oct. test), I won't have my new score until Jan. 5th. Although I'm confident in getting a better score (averaged 174 on +30 PTs),
this seems pretty late to be submitting applications,

Thoughts? Is January considered late enough to hurt one's chances?

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:30 am

iVi wrote:
Nomo wrote:If you think you can get above 170, but you only have a 165 then you shouldn't apply until you get to 170 or until you've used up all your retakes. And December isn't that late anymore. Take your time. Apply in December if you have a 170 at that time. Take the LSAT a third time and wait until next year if you don't.
As someone who will be taking the Dec. LSAT in Korea (retaking a 169 from June, for personal reasons cannot take Oct. test), I won't have my new score until Jan. 5th. Although I'm confident in getting a better score (averaged 174 on +30 PTs),
this seems pretty late to be submitting applications,

Thoughts? Is January considered late enough to hurt one's chances?
It's late, but it's not the end of the world... and if you're able to perform at your PT level, the late app mid-170 will outweigh the early app 169. I'd advise having your application completely ready so that when Jan 5th comes around you submit immediately.

iVi

Bronze

Post by iVi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:25 am

[/quote] It's late, but it's not the end of the world... and if you're able to perform at your PT level, the late app mid-170 will outweigh the early app 169. I'd advise having your application completely ready so that when Jan 5th comes around you submit immediately.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Is it better to wait until the score is released to submit the app? I was considering submitting the app and notifying schools that I'll be taking the Dec. test. Any cons to that approach?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”