Question on choosing LORs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gutrot3

New

Question on choosing LORs

Post by gutrot3 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:28 am

From what I've read the normal amount of LORs usually submitted is 2-3.
Basically I'm wondering if I should submit two academic LORs and one professional or vice-versa.
One LOR will come from my thesis adviser with whom I was very close with. The other options are from a Congressman, a NYC Councilman, and another tenured IR professor.
The two professional ones would be from recent internships I've completed. The professor was familiar with my work, however with the amount of students she has I doubt she'd remember many specifics. I'm not sure what the best option would be and I'd appreciate some input.

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Question on choosing LORs

Post by malleus discentium » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:44 pm

gutrot3 wrote:From what I've read the normal amount of LORs usually submitted is 2-3.
Basically I'm wondering if I should submit two academic LORs and one professional or vice-versa.
One LOR will come from my thesis adviser with whom I was very close with. The other options are from a Congressman, a NYC Councilman, and another tenured IR professor.
The two professional ones would be from recent internships I've completed. The professor was familiar with my work, however with the amount of students she has I doubt she'd remember many specifics. I'm not sure what the best option would be and I'd appreciate some input.
Did you do actual substantive with the congressman and councilman in person or did you just work in their office? LORs from people like this are almost always the former and are also always useless. Get two academic letters.

Christina AA

New

Re: Question on choosing LORs

Post by Christina AA » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:31 pm

The most important question in determining from whom you should solicit LORs is: "Who knows me well and can write me a substantive and glowing recommendation?" The school will be much more impressed with a junior faculty member writing you a detailed and very positive LOR than with Congresswoman X or Senator Y writing a form letter. The schools knows from your resume where you worked/interned. The LOR, like the personal statement, is your chance to shine beyond the known facts.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”