What Schools Should I Apply To?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rubbishdump

Re: What Schools Should I Apply To?

Postby Rubbishdump » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:20 am

Last edited by Rubbishdump on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmathers

Postby bmathers » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:White male with 165/3.8 here. From Cleveland. Not sure what schools I should be targeting. Others have suggested Emory, Case Western, Tulane, etc. Not sure about going out of state and entering markets in the south I don't have ties, too, however - but feel my scores are too low to go anywhere with national reach. Any ideas?

If you want to stay in Ohio, a good option would be to shoot for a full ride or significant ship at Ohio State. You should be in the ball park of a full ride. A full ride at Case wouldn't be a bad option to have either, if you want to work in Cleveland.

Steven24

Postby Steven24 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:07 am

Hi there,

Looking at these new statistics gives me a little bit of hope in a sense. I did not do great in my undergrad as I struggled with figuring out what exactly I wanted to do.. I graduated with a low GPA of 2.5. I know.. it's below average. It's nothing at all to be proud of. Nothing has interested me more than the possibility of getting into Law school. I've been studying for the upcoming LSAT for February and plan on taking it in June in case all does not go well. My goal is to aim for a 160-165 as I feel like that is realistic.

What is the best school do you think I can get into with scholarships and such? My initial goal was St.Thomas in MN as it is local but if I can hit my LSAT score range, I'd love to go to Ohio State? Thoughts? Insight?

Rubbishdump

Postby Rubbishdump » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:39 pm

Rubbishdump

Postby Rubbishdump » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:40 pm

sharpie202

Postby sharpie202 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:21 pm

I have a 3.4 GPA (lower first year GPA, but 3.86 last semester in college) from top 3 liberal arts college (also many collegiate accolades)...I am registered for the LSAT in February, hoping to apply for entry in Fall 2018. What LSAT score do I realistically need to aim for to be considered for Berkeley, Cornell, Penn, or NYU. My practice tests are a bit all over the place but the highest I have recently received was a 164 and then 168. Given that I am not applying until the Fall, should I postpone my February test date and take it in June (would rather be one and done than take it in Feb and then again in June or September). I work full-time, so feel as though the Feb test might be approaching a few weeks too quickly (one month to go), but also feel as though 4 months until the June LSAT is rather long. All test prepping advice and recommendations are welcomed.

Dodocogon

Postby Dodocogon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:05 pm

sharpie202 wrote:I have a 3.4 GPA (lower first year GPA, but 3.86 last semester in college) from top 3 liberal arts college (also many collegiate accolades)...I am registered for the LSAT in February, hoping to apply for entry in Fall 2018. What LSAT score do I realistically need to aim for to be considered for Berkeley, Cornell, Penn, or NYU. My practice tests are a bit all over the place but the highest I have recently received was a 164 and then 168. Given that I am not applying until the Fall, should I postpone my February test date and take it in June (would rather be one and done than take it in Feb and then again in June or September). I work full-time, so feel as though the Feb test might be approaching a few weeks too quickly (one month to go), but also feel as though 4 months until the June LSAT is rather long. All test prepping advice and recommendations are welcomed.

I'd go for the June take - 4 months working full time isn't 'too long' in my eyes, and if you're truly shooting for one-and-done, I think that's the test for you. Plus, if something happens on the test or you know you can do better, you do still have the Sept. test to fall back on (you aren't going to need it, but it can help with nerves to know this isn't a final thing).

As for a target LSAT for those schools, I'd say a 168 gets you a look from Cornell, 169 for Penn, and maybe a 171/172 for NYU/Berk. So obviously get the highest you can, but I think you'll need to break into the 170's to get as strong a chance as you would want for those schools.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”