What Schools Should I Apply To? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
icechicken

Bronze

Re: What Schools Should I Apply To?

Post by icechicken » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm

guyguyguy wrote:As far as a job, I'd like to work with start ups or in VC both as a a financial and legal consultant. Still pretty open to most fields within law, but I definitely want to get into politics later in life.
So you don't want to be a lawyer? You're probably better off just applying to the job(s) you actually want.

Eman1994

New

Post by Eman1994 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:31 pm

3.1 167 AA Male. From the Deep South and looking to work near NYC or DC. Would like to work in Big Law (at least initially). What should be my targets/reaches/safeties?

Jrs46tj

New

Post by Jrs46tj » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:41 pm

I’m thinking of heading to law school for IP law. I have a PhD & MS in Electrical Engineering, publications, a patent, and have been working in Engineering for the past few years.

I figure my family can afford it if I can do a part-time 4-year program, while still working my day job (or perhaps a new one with an IP firm).

I feel that I have mastered most of what I need to know to be successful in my career path, but I feel my work has become methodical and boring. I could continue with what I am doing, but I’m itching to get some work that will challenge me and require me to think outside the box. Reflecting back on my experience when filing my patent and work I recently performed when combating a forensic attorney I started thinking that a career in law could provide this.

With that said... am I crazy to think that law can provide the environment I’m looking for? If not, any recommendations on schools for IP law?

All insight is much appreciated!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:30 pm

Jrs46tj wrote:I’m thinking of heading to law school for IP law. I have a PhD & MS in Electrical Engineering, publications, a patent, and have been working in Engineering for the past few years.

I figure my family can afford it if I can do a part-time 4-year program, while still working my day job (or perhaps a new one with an IP firm).

I feel that I have mastered most of what I need to know to be successful in my career path, but I feel my work has become methodical and boring. I could continue with what I am doing, but I’m itching to get some work that will challenge me and require me to think outside the box. Reflecting back on my experience when filing my patent and work I recently performed when combating a forensic attorney I started thinking that a career in law could provide this.

With that said... am I crazy to think that law can provide the environment I’m looking for? If not, any recommendations on schools for IP law?

All insight is much appreciated!
What kind of IP job are you imagining you want? Are you hoping to work at a big firm doing patent litigation, or would rather use your PhD in prosecuting patents before the PTO? Your imagined career path will be helpful in determining whether this is even a sane decision for you. Going to law school would be a new academic pursuit, and you'd be very marketable in the patent space with your credentials, but whether or not you'd be "thinking outside the box" or challenge you in new and exciting ways remains to be seen.

If I were you, I'd look into becoming a scientific advisor or maybe a patent agent at a patent firm to see the inner workings before you dive in to law school. Work with some patent litigators, get some experience in the mechanics of patent law, and see if a legal career would excite you.

I'm probably projecting on you a little bit, but anyone who goes through to a EE PhD, works for a few years as an engineer, and is now looking for a new, exciting field because the work you're doing has become boring makes me skeptical. Not because you're not bored, but because there is a very real chance you just get restless in what you're doing and want to switch careers every couple of years because you become restless in general. Especially considering your only exposure to the career is getting one patent issued and working adverse to forensics.

This is a fine first step in doing your research into a legal career, but considering how much you've invested into your academic credentials already, I just want to warn you that taking on three or four additional years of training to enter a completely new field should be deliberate. Figure out what you imagine a legal career being in IP, meet with actual litigators and prosecutors, read the relevant anecdotes on this thread about patent work (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... ypical+Day), and continue considering whether a complete career shift is really what you ultimately want. Don't make the shift only because it sounds exciting and new.

am88282911am88282911

New

Post by am88282911am88282911 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 pm

I need help!! Hi all, I am in my mid-30's and have worked over 12 years within the nonprofit sector. Currently, I am working within a leadership role for a city agency. I make a six figure salary but law has always been an unreachable goal of mine. On my spare time, I love to read depositions, watch endless Forsenic Files, and viewing Netflix's OJ mini series (starring Cuba Gooding Jr.) - all of this for the legality aspect. I have been thinking about law all throughout my adult life and have even attended a recent CUNY School of Law's open house session. I honestly fell in love with the school - as a core specialization is Human Rights. My fear-a six figure loan choke hold. I am already attempting to pay back on my MPA school loans and I am nervous about all that I hear with the bureaucracy of law schools and the law school students (post graduation). Last note, I am thinking about attending LSAT prep courses at Queens College, take the LSAT's, with the hopes of doing well enough to get a possible scholarship. I'm all over the place but any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danniel

New

Post by Danniel » Fri May 18, 2018 4:00 am

This is a great sort of information.

RK6

New

Post by RK6 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:17 am

Hi!

I have a 4.08 and a 161 LSAT score. I really want to go to USC. Do I have a shot?

Thank you!

(If it helps, I was an econ major and UCLA)

nevergiveup77

New

Post by nevergiveup77 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:56 pm

Hello,

Thank you to any and all who take the time to both read and answer my question as it will help a great deal.

To Begin, my GPA is a 4.0 in which I graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Florida (tied for #35 University in the nation with current rankings) with a degree in Public Relations focused on Politics. My LSAT score is a 172 (only took it once). I am also a first generation college student. I do understand that such numbers should put me in good company for a chance of acceptance into Harvard Law but my circumstances are a bit more complicated.

I attended two other colleges before transferring to UF. While there, my gpa was around 2.6–2.8 at both schools before I eventually transferred to UF. There were also a few classes I failed and some I even dropped or withdrew from. However, the poor grades were not due to lack of intelligence or effort rather I was experiencing hardships/obstacles in my life over that 3 year span. I am an adopted child (fathered died when I was young and my mother has been incarcerated all my life) and was living in a bad home environment during those beginning years of my college career. I eventually moved out and started my own business so it did turn out for the best. But it was difficult to juggle the life changes, challenge of starting and running a business AND going to school. I should have taken a bit of time off from school but I was young, ambitious and pretty naive so I thought I could juggle it all and make it work but it didn’t workout at first.Although, eventually it did all work out, the business was and is in a great position in which I was able to return to school and I was presented with a fresh start at the University of Florida that turned out great. As I mentioned, I graduated with a 4.0 while also starting a small charity providing school clothes and supplies to under privileged children like myself during that time. I also worked on a political campaign for a Mayor of a major city who has also written me a great letter of recommendation. I am just worried that given the fact that the LSAC combines my GPA from all undergraduate grades that the poor performance of my previous years will hurt my chances at Harvard Law. I do plan to add an addendum explaining these circumstances and it will be included in my personal statement but I wanted to see some of the opinions of folks who have experience with such cases, law school admissions, Harvard, etc. Do I still have a shot? Should I try and get a better LSAT? I’m open for all suggestions. Thanks again for your time!

FootballGuy28

New

Post by FootballGuy28 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:55 pm

I’m primarily interested in two schools, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Further I’m still not 100% sure they are even the right schools to apply to.

To start, I’m a bit of a splitter, Graduated in 2016 with a 3.4 undergrad in Economics and Finance. LSAT should be at a minimum 164 but most likely 167+ based on my practice tests. I count as a Wisconsin resident so I think that gives me a pretty good shot to get in there when combined with my other scores. On the other hand I’m worried about Minnesota which is currently my number one. My GPA is below their 25th, and I don’t think my background would give me any special considerations. (A year of management consulting at a smaller firm before transitioning to a career as a football analyst/analytics guy with PFF 18 months ago)

My end goal is to stay in the world of football but to work on the legal side where there is substantially more money available compared to the “football side” which is where I am now. I’d also and like to remain in the Midwest, though that’s not as important. Ideally I’d like to work with a player agency firm, or with a team. I have multiple people I’ve met through my football career that fall in each bucket that are willing to help me get a foot in the door.

I’m open to suggestions from the people far more knowledgeable than I am on both my chances at Minnesota/Wisconsin and also other schools that might be a better fit. Appreciate any advice/tips, I’m somewhat new to this

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LivHandsome

Post by LivHandsome » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi all! I'm not very far into the application process, and financing is making me balk at getting my heart set on law school, but I'm hoping I can get some guidance before I get too far into the weeds.

- [Redacted], 3.87 GPA, slight but steady upward trend so may well get up to a 3.9.
- Haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I think 170 is a reasonable estimate. Will take practice tests soon and can report back.
- Worked/working 2 jobs, one in nonprofit/public service throughout college; planning on doing 1-2 years of VISTA (probably) or TFA (if I can't swing living on poverty wages) post-grad.
- Could reasonably get in-state in [redacted], or, if requirements are lax, wherever I go post-grad.
- White, queer, lower-middle-class woman.
- Hoping to go into environmental, public interest, or government. Would really like to practice in the South or Appalachia.
- Not too preoccupied with prestige. As long as I'm doing work I enjoy and can cover my loans, whether I work at the ACLU or a local nonprofit/PD doesn't make a difference to me. Not interested in biglaw.

Mostly I'm concerned about financing. I know I could get into a good school, but I'd have to get pretty near a full ride to not graduate with significant debt--I'll already have about $20,000 after undergrad and don't have high hopes about paying all that much off before law school.

I know this is all very vague, but I'd appreciate even limited guidance as to what I should set my sights on. I'd rather not dream of NYU if I have no chance of making it a reality.

Thanks much!

Moderator note: [Redactions] made per OP's request. -QContinuum

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:42 pm

LivHandsome wrote:Hi all! I'm not very far into the application process, and financing is making me balk at getting my heart set on law school, but I'm hoping I can get some guidance before I get too far into the weeds.
With your GPA, no school - including YSH - is out of reach. You just need to do well on the LSAT. It's pretty much all up to your LSAT at this point.

The LSAT is very learnable, but don't underestimate the challenge of scoring 170+.

LivHandsome

Post by LivHandsome » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:36 pm

QContinuum wrote:
LivHandsome wrote:Hi all! I'm not very far into the application process, and financing is making me balk at getting my heart set on law school, but I'm hoping I can get some guidance before I get too far into the weeds.
With your GPA, no school - including YSH - is out of reach. You just need to do well on the LSAT. It's pretty much all up to your LSAT at this point.

The LSAT is very learnable, but don't underestimate the challenge of scoring 170+.
Noted. I'm a good test-taker generally, but I'll be sure not to underestimate the effort needed to get that score and won't bank on it. Thank you!

drakiyhan

New

Post by drakiyhan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:13 am

Hi, I'm an international student with a GPA 3.72 and scored 163 in LSAT.

I hope to focus on corporate law or intellectual property.
The location is not that important since everywhere would be new to me.

Really need your advice.

ps. I wonder why some GPA can exceed 4.0, cuz previously I thought 4 is the highest one can get.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:05 pm

drakiyhan wrote:Hi, I'm an international student with a GPA 3.72 and scored 163 in LSAT.

I hope to focus on corporate law or intellectual property.
The location is not that important since everywhere would be new to me.

Really need your advice.

ps. I wonder why some GPA can exceed 4.0, cuz previously I thought 4 is the highest one can get.
Retake for 170+ so you can get a discount at a T14, not complicated. Being international could make the job search more difficult but being open to NY helps.

Some places award A+ or analogous grades that LSAC treats as 4.33.

ProbablyWaitListed

New

Post by ProbablyWaitListed » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:23 am

Hi all, I'm a current cycle applicant with a 171 LSAT and 3.42 LSAC GPA. 1.5 years legal WE, decent softs. I have no interest in Big Law and want to practice in Chicago - thinking about plaintiff's law pretty seriously. Where can I go that will yield me $$$ and strong opportunities for non- Big Law practice areas in the Midwest?

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:48 am

ProbablyWaitListed wrote:Hi all, I'm a current cycle applicant with a 171 LSAT and 3.42 LSAC GPA. 1.5 years legal WE, decent softs. I have no interest in Big Law and want to practice in Chicago - thinking about plaintiff's law pretty seriously. Where can I go that will yield me $$$ and strong opportunities for non- Big Law practice areas in the Midwest?
Lower T14, Notre Dame and all the good state schools in the Midwest - Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, OSU (in addition to Michigan of course). As a splitter you should cast a fairly wide net because you don't know where the money is going to come from and you're live for scholarships at all of those places.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:44 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
ProbablyWaitListed wrote:Hi all, I'm a current cycle applicant with a 171 LSAT and 3.42 LSAC GPA. 1.5 years legal WE, decent softs. I have no interest in Big Law and want to practice in Chicago - thinking about plaintiff's law pretty seriously. Where can I go that will yield me $$$ and strong opportunities for non- Big Law practice areas in the Midwest?
Lower T14, Notre Dame and all the good state schools in the Midwest - Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, OSU (in addition to Michigan of course). As a splitter you should cast a fairly wide net because you don't know where the money is going to come from and you're live for scholarships at all of those places.
It's also worth asking what kind of plaintiff side law you want to practice. Slip and fall cases or some sort of impact litigation, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ProbablyWaitListed

New

Post by ProbablyWaitListed » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:55 am

Yeah, I've already submitted my app to Notre Dame and it honestly seems like it'd be perfect for what I want to do. Hopefully they throw me dollars. I'll obviously be applying to Michigan, but wouldn't that likely come at sticker for me? And I feel like none of the prominent PI attorneys in Chicago went to somewhere like Michigan

ProbablyWaitListed

New

Post by ProbablyWaitListed » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:20 am

Wubbles wrote:
It's also worth asking what kind of plaintiff side law you want to practice. Slip and fall cases or some sort of impact litigation, etc.
I wanna do big goddamned torts. Basically these guys: https://www.salvilaw.com/

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:26 am

ProbablyWaitListed wrote:
Wubbles wrote:
How many years are you willing to spend chasing ambulances to get there?

ProbablyWaitListed

New

Post by ProbablyWaitListed » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:05 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:
How many years are you willing to spend chasing ambulances to get there?
Bro that's a very fair question, but I bet being a young associate in one of the major major Chicago PI firms would involve you doing a lot cooler work (to me, at least) than sitting around some bulge bracket bank in Manhattan and "turning comments" for 90 hours a week. To be honest, several of my best friends, including my ex-girlfriend, who live that BBB Associate (I can never remember if associate or analyst comes first) lifestyle - and it seems like the most miserable goddamn thing I can ever imagine.

Basically the way I see it is that the only mega downside of the PI career path as opposed to BigLaw is that you're getting paid about 40% as much money out of law school, with no ironclad guarantee it gets any better. Yet I think a 50 year old successful PI partner who actually owns his firm and hauls in a couple 7 figure judgments a year (!!!) has it so infinitely better than the sad 50 year old BigLaw partner who could get turned out into the cold as soon as the committee or whatever decides they don't like him anymore.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:30 am

cavalier1138 wrote:How many years are you willing to spend chasing ambulances to get there?
Bro that's a very fair question, but I bet being a young associate in one of the major major Chicago PI firms would involve you doing a lot cooler work (to me, at least) than sitting around some bulge bracket bank in Manhattan and "turning comments" for 90 hours a week. To be honest, several of my best friends, including my ex-girlfriend, who live that BBB Associate (I can never remember if associate or analyst comes first) lifestyle - and it seems like the most miserable goddamn thing I can ever imagine.

Basically the way I see it is that the only mega downside of the PI career path as opposed to BigLaw is that you're getting paid about 40% as much money out of law school, with no ironclad guarantee it gets any better. Yet I think a 50 year old successful PI partner who actually owns his firm and hauls in a couple 7 figure judgments a year (!!!) has it so infinitely better than the sad 50 year old BigLaw partner who could get turned out into the cold as soon as the committee or whatever decides they don't like him anymore.

So I would caution you that the grass always appears greener, etc.

You seem primarily interested in cash money and independence. Legal practice generally isn't a great track for either of those things. The downside of the path you've mentioned is that most personal injury cases really aren't that complex or interesting. If your concern is that the work won't be "cool" enough for you, I'd strongly recommend looking at your most likely career tracks. It is extremely unlikely that you go from law school to directly working the plaintiff's side of a toxic tort class action.

And I'd also suggest looking closer at exit options from biglaw. Your ex seems to have given you a bit of a scare (which is good--most people think they want biglaw and don't have any insight into how much they won't like it), but your description of that career track is pretty narrow. Associates at big firms are not bound to become partners. They're actually far more likely to lateral into in-house or government positions, depending on their practice area.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't be interested in personal injury law. But you might want to do a bit more investigating; you seem to have cherry-picked the best parts of PI and the worst parts of biglaw to compare. At least make sure you're going into this with a clearer understanding of what legal practice entails (and no debt if you go the PI route).

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:09 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
ProbablyWaitListed wrote:Bro that's a very fair question, but I bet being a young associate in one of the major major Chicago PI firms would involve you doing a lot cooler work (to me, at least) than sitting around some bulge bracket bank in Manhattan and "turning comments" for 90 hours a week. To be honest, several of my best friends, including my ex-girlfriend, who live that BBB Associate (I can never remember if associate or analyst comes first) lifestyle - and it seems like the most miserable goddamn thing I can ever imagine.

So I would caution you that the grass always appears greener, etc.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't be interested in personal injury law. But you might want to do a bit more investigating; you seem to have cherry-picked the best parts of PI and the worst parts of biglaw to compare. At least make sure you're going into this with a clearer understanding of what legal practice entails (and no debt if you go the PI route).
+1 to cav's post above. I'd also add:
  • You cite as an example of BigLaw "sitting around some bulge bracket bank in Manhattan ... several of my best friends, including my ex-girlfriend, live that BBB Associate lifestyle." The i-banking analyst lifestyle is notoriously, monotonously brutal. As much as the BigLaw lifestyle sucks, it is not remotely comparable to being an i-banking analyst. The work is far more interesting and the hours are (comparatively) far better. If being a BigLawyer = being an i-banker, no one would ever go to law school.
  • You cite an expectation that "the only mega downside of the PI career path as opposed to BigLaw is that you're getting paid about 40% as much money out of law school." That expectation is frankly unrealistic. You are far likelier to start out making ~$50k (or less!) than to start out making close to $80k (40% of $190k = $76k).
  • Becoming a BigLaw partner is rare, but it's positively common compared to a "50 year old successful PI partner who hauls in a couple 7 figure judgments a year."

katie33

New

Post by katie33 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:43 pm

Looking for some guidance on where to apply. I scored a 165 on LSAT and am relatively happy with my score, but wish I scored a few points higher. I have a 4.24 GPA and a strong resume.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am

katie33 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:43 pm
Looking for some guidance on where to apply. I scored a 165 on LSAT and am relatively happy with my score, but wish I scored a few points higher. I have a 4.24 GPA and a strong resume.
1) is 4.24 your LSAC GPA?

2) https://mylsn.info/c2d9gk/
Looks like some sort of chance at some, but not all, lower T14 schools. Apply to those. Below that, where do you want to practice and what are your career goals?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”