Strengthening Application (+ career goal benefits) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SickerThanYoAverage

New

Strengthening Application (+ career goal benefits)

Post by SickerThanYoAverage » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:36 pm

Hey Everyone :!:

I have a 3.2 undergraduate GPA with degree in Philosophy and a minor in Psychology. I am taking the September 2014 LSAT. In December of 2013 I scored a 155 and decided to re-take the test. I have been consistently scoring a 165 on PTs for the past 3 exams and have obtained a tutor to help increase my score.

I have been spending all day today researching and talking to attorneys as well as professionals at Ernst & Young, Accenture, and Deloitte and have been asking them ways to make myself stand out when being considered by law school admissions board members.

Here is additional background information: I am employed by my father in his commercial real estate business (he owns an LLC) and have over the years observed and participated in the day-to-day operations of maintaining and developing his real estate sites in the Greater Chicagoland Area. This takes up a bulk of my professional life up to date. My reasoning for wanting to go to law school is so I can help make progress in this business and "take it to the next level" in terms of gaining a greater return on investment, maximizing profits and minimizing costs.

** My career goals involve working for a firm (i.e., real estate, investment banking, accounting) that will allow me to see the details behind the workings of a corporate business and applying that sort of knowledge while participating with the family business.

** I have been advised to take the Series 6 or Series 7 (as well as Series 66) License exam in order to "impress" law schools and prospective employers. I have also been advised to get a Real Estate Broker/Agent License for the same reason.

*** My question is for those who would see an applicant with a 3.2 GPA and 165-172 LSAT: what do you recommend me doing in order to strengthen my application? ***

I'll appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by SickerThanYoAverage on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Re: Strengthening Application (+ career goal benefits)

Post by ilikebaseball » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:37 pm

first off, you cant just assume you'll get a certain score on the LSAT, especially if you've already taken it and gotten a 155

SickerThanYoAverage

New

Post by SickerThanYoAverage » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:40 pm

choward014 wrote:first off, you cant just assume you'll get a certain score on the LSAT, especially if you've already taken it and gotten a 155
Thanks for the positive feedback, I edited my post for clarification.

PotenC

Bronze

Post by PotenC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:56 pm

Just concentrate all your energy on getting a higher LSAT bro, forget everything else. Image

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:55 pm

None of those things hurt, but 95% of your outcomes will follow numbers. In your case, that means LSAT, because you're not going to be helping anyone's GPA medians. Ergo you shouldn't undertake anything that will keep you from maximizing your LSAT.

Research which schools are friendly to high-LSAT, low-GPA folks and use all of your free time studying for 170+.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:08 am

Put all of your effort into studying for the LSAT and getting as high of a score as possible. Be open to the idea of retaking if you need to.

Also I think you should take your name out of the OP for the sake of anonymity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”