Does professor rank matter for LORs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
harveyspecter993

New

Does professor rank matter for LORs

Post by harveyspecter993 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi,

Specifically for HYS, does it make a difference if one's LORs are written by distinguished/emeriti profs as opposed to assistant, adjunct or associate profs.

Secondly, it is advisable to ask postdoctoral fellows who taught classes you took for LORs.

Thanks

Cradle6

Bronze

Re: Does professor rank matter for LORs

Post by Cradle6 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:35 pm

Prevailing logic is to ask the person who knows the you best and can best attest to your work ethic, talent, etc.

Asking someone high profile but knows nothing about you won't impress anyone.

It's like when people get governors to write letters for undergrad: usually not the best idea.

sunbai1029

New

Post by sunbai1029 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:19 pm

The above poster is mainly right, however there is no need to pretend as if LoR's from well-known figures are unimportant. HY especially is a haven for the elite and if you're "one of them" so to speak it will go along way. Connections, as minimal as they may be, can boost an applicant. At the least, it won't hurt. But a professor who has a Doctorate as opposed to just a masters, for example, is probably not going to mean much.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:23 pm

not really

Cradle6

Bronze

Post by Cradle6 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:35 pm

sunbai1029 wrote:The above poster is mainly right, however there is no need to pretend as if LoR's from well-known figures are unimportant. HY especially is a haven for the elite and if you're "one of them" so to speak it will go along way. Connections, as minimal as they may be, can boost an applicant. At the least, it won't hurt. But a professor who has a Doctorate as opposed to just a masters, for example, is probably not going to mean much.
Very true.

There are a few cases, (if the dean of admissions at Harvard writes you a letter that would probably help. :))

Or a big donor.

But when most people ask this question they mean asking some judge, or a semi-famous professor that has nothing to say about the applicant.

I still maintain that if the only thing the recommender can say is that you got an A in the class they're the wrong person to ask in 90% of situations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:38 pm

one of my recommenders was one of the most preftigious people in my major's entire department, and my cycle went about exactly how you might expect from mylsn

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:40 pm

What about getting a judge to write a LOR? As opposed to a professor? Like, does it matter more who's writing the letter, or the content of the letter itself?

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:52 pm

choward014 wrote:What about getting a judge to write a LOR? As opposed to a professor? Like, does it matter more who's writing the letter, or the content of the letter itself?
I sat on our admission committee for years. Use academic letters above all else unless you have no choice. LORs are only useful if they are written by someone who clearly knows you and your capabilities. We tossed plenty of LORs from politicians and prominent business leaders because it was clear from the content that the applicant had just been an intern or something and that the "writer" didn't have anything useful to say about the applicant. We see so many of those things that it becomes easy to see through the BS and buzz word plaudits.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:01 am

If Amartya Sen says you're the most brilliant student he's ever taught, the LOR will probably carry more weight than the same LOR from the average professor. Other than something extraordinary like that, title/renown is not important. Get letters from the professors best able to speak positively of and specifically to your strengths/abilities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:21 am

You should ask your professor to include her cv so Columbia adcomms know how big of a deal your Vanderbilt sociology professor is. Don't risk them not recognizing her name. I know it seems impossible to not remember all the famous professors you got in your Topps Prof trading cards deck but without the cv the adcomms might forget about that highly cited article in European sociology journal from 2004.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Detailed, specific positive letter from bigwig prof > detailed, specific positive letter from no-name prof > detailed, specific positive letter from non-prof >>>> generic letter from anyone.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:46 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Detailed, specific positive letter from bigwig prof > detailed, specific positive letter from no-name prof > detailed, specific positive letter from non-prof >>>> generic letter from anyone.
tbh I'm pretty sure LORs are just a way that schools try to screen for sociopaths

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:18 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Detailed, specific positive letter from bigwig prof > detailed, specific positive letter from no-name prof > detailed, specific positive letter from non-prof >>>> generic letter from anyone.
tbh I'm pretty sure LORs are just a way that schools try to screen for sociopaths
yeah, I nearly added "to the extent that LORs matter." Since the OP specified HYS, they may actually get read.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
yeah, I nearly added "to the extent that LORs matter." Since the OP specified HYS, they may actually get read.
you're a more generous lady than me, I stopped taking that particular stip seriously many threads ago

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”