Quick question on GPA/Apps to anyone who’s applied/gotten in Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
WordPass

New

Quick question on GPA/Apps to anyone who’s applied/gotten in

Post by WordPass » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:01 am

My GPA is really low (3.0-3.3). I’m taking a few extra classes to bump it up by hopefully a few points.

First question and I guess this is mainly for people who have already gone through the application process: is it possible to submit my application without indicating my GPA (immediately)? I know LSAC calculates your GPA and whatnot but would they have to have done all of that prior to your app being submitted?

My plan is that if I can score well into the 170s, then I can almost use that as leverage and let schools know I’m waiting for my other grades to come in so they can factor in what would be my now higher GPA. My concern is that my app would be considered with my lower GPA when the grades i would be getting back (end of Fall semester/December) would make a decent amount of difference.

any help is appreciated!

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:09 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

WordPass

New

Re: Quick question on GPA/Apps to anyone who’s applied/gotten in

Post by WordPass » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 am

Thanks for the quick response. I've done the math already. It'd approximately move me up about .1.

So let's say from a 3.1 to a 3.2. Is that worth it? I know on paper a 3.1 looks better than a 3.2, but do admissions officers care at all about such a difference? Is the benefit of moving up an extra .1 greater than an early app?

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:35 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

WordPass

New

Post by WordPass » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:47 am

So you'd say probably get in all my transcripts now then, right? Then just update it?

Also, I've played around with lsn, and as you've pointed out, not a ton of data, but it seems to make "some" difference. It's hard to really say, though, since a couple people getting into a school can change the percentages drastically. Where it seems to make a difference is among the lower T14 (and the ones close by), which I would say is more my range. Which is kinda why i'm afraid that among those schools, it might actually make the difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Post removed.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:22 pm

why not just wait until you've finished school to take the LSAT and apply so you have an entire additional year to improve your grades. it doesn't make any sense to apply now when your grades suck and you have eight or more classes left to ace. especially since you don't have an LSAT score and you seem pretty clueless generally (no offense, it's true of most rising seniors in your circumstances). Play around with LSN all you want, but at the end of the day it would be a foolish and wasteful choice to apply to law school this fall.

network your way into a job, part time if necessary, for when you graduate and prep for the June & October 2015 LSATs.

WordPass

New

Post by WordPass » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:why not just wait until you've finished school to take the LSAT and apply so you have an entire additional year to improve your grades. it doesn't make any sense to apply now when your grades suck and you have eight or more classes left to ace. especially since you don't have an LSAT score and you seem pretty clueless generally (no offense, it's true of most rising seniors in your circumstances). Play around with LSN all you want, but at the end of the day it would be a foolish and wasteful choice to apply to law school this fall.

network your way into a job, part time if necessary, for when you graduate and prep for the June & October 2015 LSATs.
What exactly makes you think I don't finish in December? or that I have 8+ more classes to even take? I never really stated anywhere I was a rising senior.

In any event, thanks for your input (this isn't me being sarcastic) but I actually don't have an entire additional year, as you've stated. I think it's safe to say that December is the latest one should get their apps in for that cycle and don't really think it makes sense for me to wait out this cycle as it won't do anything to really increase my chances drastically (given that I score what I'm aiming for on the LSAT).

But if you have any input/insight on whether or not +.1 difference in GPA benefits my application more than an early application would, then let me know pls!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:49 pm

WordPass wrote:
But if you have any input/insight on whether or not +.1 difference in GPA benefits my application more than an early application would, then let me know pls!
False dichotomy. You have a third option: apply Sept 1 the following year, and take advantage of the +.1 difference in GPA. Alternatively, don't stack your required classes this fall and extend your year into the spring to improve your grades more, if possible.

Between the two less ideal choices you propose, the GPA improvement will matter more than the time in collapsing application cycles.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:22 am

I agree with jbagelboy regarding his advice to apply when it's best for your personal situation, even if it is a year later.

To respond to your question I don't think a 3.1-3.2 is a significant difference since both are already in the lower end of the favorable GPA spectrum. The 0.1 increase from 3.1-3.2 is not as impressive as the increase from say 3.8-3.9 since the latter requires higher grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”