164/3.16 Possible addendum citing ADHD for unimpressive GPA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
howsthecow

New

164/3.16 Possible addendum citing ADHD for unimpressive GPA?

Post by howsthecow » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:59 pm

I was diagnosed with ADHD the summer after my freshman year in college. I have a lackluster cumulative GPA (3.16), but there is an apparent upward trend on my transcript - freshman year (2.3), sophomore year (3.0), junior year (3.9). LSAT 164, and I may retake in September. I took the June test without accommodations.
Would it be helpful to write an addendum explaining that the upward trend in my GPA correlates with the diagnosis and treatment of my ADHD? Would law schools take this seriously? Or could it even be detrimental to mention that I have ADHD? I've searched TLS forums and the like for an answer, but similar questions are asking about an addendum to explain low LSAT scores. Any advice would be helpful.

Cradle6

Bronze

Re: 164/3.16 Possible addendum citing ADHD for unimpressive GPA?

Post by Cradle6 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm

I personally wouldn't, just because an ADD/ADHD diagnosis is not a rare thing by any means.

I don't think it would have the desired effect personally, but I could be wrong.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:00 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

howsthecow

New

Re: 164/3.16 Possible addendum citing ADHD for unimpressive GPA?

Post by howsthecow » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 am

MistakenGenius wrote:
Cradle6 wrote:I personally wouldn't, just because an ADD/ADHD diagnosis is not a rare thing by any means.

I don't think it would have the desired effect personally, but I could be wrong.
Agreed. Lots of people have ADHD/ADD or worse things and still do pretty well. You have an okay GPA, combine that with a stronger LSAT score and you'll be fine. An addendum for that isn't going to help at all.
I think there's a misconception that ADHD is especially common. The actual estimation is around 5% in the U.S., and of those, less than 5% actually earn a college degree. It is true, however, that diagnoses in children have increased over the past decade, so I take your point. With the general attitude toward ADHD, it may do more harm than good to be mentioned in an application. Thanks for the response.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”