What should I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

What should I do?

Should I study for the september test?
30%
Should I take a year off and retake a year from now?
40%
Should I take multiple years off for WE?
30%

Total votes: 10

southerntexan

New

What should I do?

Postby southerntexan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:02 am

Long time lurker here and looking for some advice

I just recently took the June 14 LSAT and had an an abyssmal morning full of car trouble and a lot rain on my way to the exam. Because of this, I feel my score dropped considerably to a 152. I was PTing around a 160 and hoping for a test day miracle to end up around a 165 and then possibly retake in September.

I am entering into my senior year of school with what should be around a 3.42 GPA including high school dual enrollment credit as a physics major. My goal is to go somewhere in the top 25, but really hoping for a T14 and to focus in either IP or healthcare because my past physics research. During the school year I need to work because I do not come from much money which is something that I have to consider.

My question is should I skip the september test and take finish school to boost my gpa and gain work experience, or is it possible to get my desired score and get into a desireable school if I study dilligently for the September exam?

I appreciate the help.

whitespider

Silver

Re: What should I do?

Postby whitespider » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:32 am

Are you a URM? If not, I can't see you having much success in the T14, or "top 25" for that matter, even if you improve your score to a 3.42/160.

Have you considered taking an LSAT prep course to improve your score to something more competitive?

I would think an improved LSAT score should be a far higher priority than post-undergrad work experience.

If that's not something you're interested in, there's certainly no harm in taking the September test and reevaluating your options after.

Nova

Platinum

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:34 am

With a 3.4 ull need to hit school's medians to have a decent shot most places

gentlemanscholar

Bronze

Postby gentlemanscholar » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:16 am

I would recommend against the "test day miracle" strategy. To make law school a sound investment you will need a strong LSAT. September may be too soon for a retake. How many PTs have you taken so far? I recommend taking every official PT you can find, and the newer the better (the trend I've noticed is that RC sections have gotten harder with time). With your GPA, you will likely need an LSAT around 166 or 167 for good chance at top 20. If you can raise your GPA a touch over your senior year that would help.

stats.php?school=george-washington

onionz

Bronze

Postby onionz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:38 am

southerntexan wrote: During the school year I need to work because I do not come from much money which is something that I have to consider.

Are you not planning on taking out debt for law school? My point is that if you plan on taking out lots of debt for law school in the future, even if you have a good scholarship at a T14 (which most people here will say is necessary/highly desired) then the extra $ from a $10/hour job isn't worth it. That time might be better spent raising your GPA and getting a better LSAT.

That said, if you're not sure about LS, then a part time job to avoid debt/more debt in UG makes sense.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�