Do schools consider the highest score or the latest score? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
roranoa

Silver

Do schools consider the highest score or the latest score?

Post by roranoa » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:42 pm

My most recent score dropped by two points. Will schools that don't average consider the latest or the highest?
Last edited by roranoa on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sims1

Bronze

Re: Do schools consider the highest score or the latest score?

Post by sims1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:52 pm

roranoa wrote:My most recent score dropped by two points. Will score that don't average consider the latest or the highest?
543 posts and asking one of the most asked questions of all time?

TCR: Most take highest since they have every incentive to do so for ABA reporting. HYS may look at multiple scores, huge discrepancies may raise some eyebrows. 2 points will likely mean no change from just your highest score.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:55 pm

^that

highest

besides possibly hys

2 pt diff is well within the score band and pretty much meaningless

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:02 pm

roranoa wrote:My most recent score dropped by two points. Will score that don't average consider the latest or the highest?
Neither. How many months apart were they? They'll assume that you're getting stupider by 2 points every X number of months, extrapolate that over the number of months between now and when you start law school, and use that score.

So, for example, if you started with a 170 in December 2013 and dropped to a 168 in June 2014, and you're applying next cycle, they'll assume a intellectual decline of 2 LSAT points every 6 months, and put you at a 163 by the time you matriculate in fall 2015. Sorry man.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:04 pm

I would get a job at Cutco. Your life as a lawyer is over.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:05 pm

redsox wrote:
Neither. How many months apart were they? They'll assume that you're getting stupider by 2 points every X number of months, extrapolate that over the number of months between now and when you start law school, and use that score.

So, for example, if you started with a 170 in December 2013 and dropped to a 168 in June 2014, and you're applying next cycle, they'll assume a intellectual decline of 2 LSAT points every 6 months, and put you at a 163 by the time you matriculate in fall 2015. Sorry man.
But on the bright side, if you go from a 170 to a 171, after a year you'll have over a 180 and they'll think you're a genius.

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:13 pm

Louis1127 wrote:
redsox wrote:

But on the bright side, if you go from a 170 to a 171, after a year you'll have over a 180 and they'll think you're a genius.
Yeah, a good way to try and game the system is to intentionally score lower than you are capable of at first, and then retake and try your best. At that point, the longer the wait, the better. Your cycle may be a bit unpredictable, and S isn't generally fooled by it, but if you wait long enough you should be T6 secure, assuming your gpa is at median or higher.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:41 pm

So which one is the credited response? I'm not familiar with american sarcasm

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:42 pm

roranoa wrote:So which one is the credited response? I'm not familiar with american sarcasm
My comment was British sarcasm so you shouldn't be having a problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CincinnatusND

Bronze

Post by CincinnatusND » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:46 pm

roranoa wrote:So which one is the credited response? I'm not familiar with american sarcasm
I don't think you need to be very familiar with American sarcasm to figure this one out, you probably just need to use a bit of common sense.

But the first two responses are legitimate answers to your question.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:12 am

CincinnatusND wrote:
I don't think you need to be very familiar with American sarcasm to figure this one out, you probably just need to use a bit of common sense.

But the first two responses are legitimate answers to your question.
Thank you good sir

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”