Incomplete vs. 3 F's Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kinseyjo

New

Incomplete vs. 3 F's

Post by kinseyjo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:39 am

Hey TLS'ers

I'm applying in Fall for law school, currently studying my ass off for my LSAT retake in September.

I just completed my junior year abroad in France (two semesters). I just received my grades for my second semester, and I failed 3 of my 8 2-credit classes (classes completed in French on the topic of international business - not easy). I have the option of either taking them as they are-F's. Or taking them as incompletes and resitting the exams in the end of October. Which would look better sent in on my transcript? I plan on talking about the experience in my personal statement- failed grades and all. The only problem with resitting is that it will be while I am completing my senior thesis, applying to law school, and studying for midterms, so I'm afraid I'll just fail them all over again.

Need advice!!!

thanks.

bombaysippin

Gold

Re: Incomplete vs. 3 F's

Post by bombaysippin » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:40 am

uh ohs. I'd rather have incompletes rather than Fs. Fs will destroy your lsac gpa.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:42 am

I mean, if you keep the Fs, you have 3 Fs calculated into your LSAC GPA, right? Versus 3 potentially not-Fs if you take the incompletes and retake. I would much rather explain incompletes than Fs.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:27 pm

Retake the exams, pass them, work for a year or two, and reapply with a PS about something better than failing study abroad classes.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:28 pm

banjo wrote:Retake the exams, pass them, work for a year or two, and reapply with a PS about something better than failing study abroad classes.
+1

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:40 pm

kinseyjo wrote:I plan on talking about the experience in my personal statement- failed grades and all.
Don't.
kinseyjo wrote:The only problem with resitting is that it will be while I am completing my senior thesis, applying to law school, and studying for midterms, so I'm afraid I'll just fail them all over again.
If this workload is not manageable, then taking a semester off to focus on fixing this problem would be much better than winding up with six credits of Fs on your transcript. That would annihilate your GPA and likely significantly affect your law school/scholarship, and thus career, options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”