Class of 2017 LSAT/GPA stats Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Moneytrees

Silver

Class of 2017 LSAT/GPA stats

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:33 am

Does anyone know when the incoming class of 2017 stats are going to be released? I'm curious to see how the top schools schools are reacting to the decline in applications. What's the consensus on these boards? Do you guys think that the best schools will increasingly look to cut class size to keep their medians in place?

Crowing

Gold

Re: Class of 2017 LSAT/GPA stats

Post by Crowing » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:35 am

Moneytrees wrote:Does anyone know when the incoming class of 2017 stats are going to be released? I'm curious to see how the top schools schools are reacting to the decline in applications. What's the consensus on these boards? Do you guys think that the best schools will increasingly look to cut class size to keep their medians in place?
They won't be out until ℅ 2017 orientation at the earliest. Many schools will release info [much] later.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:40 am

Crowing wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:Does anyone know when the incoming class of 2017 stats are going to be released? I'm curious to see how the top schools schools are reacting to the decline in applications. What's the consensus on these boards? Do you guys think that the best schools will increasingly look to cut class size to keep their medians in place?
They won't be out until ℅ 2017 orientation at the earliest. Many schools will release info [much] later.
I see. Thanks. Are we talking fall/winter/even later?

oxie

Bronze

Post by oxie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:12 am

Moneytrees wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Last year schools started posting their incoming class profiles in late August. Those aren't always complete, though -- schools will sometimes just post their medians or just their 25th/75th percentiles.

I believe schools have to post the full stats by December 15, which is the deadline for publishing their ABA 509 reports.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:09 pm

oxie wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Last year schools started posting their incoming class profiles in late August. Those aren't always complete, though -- schools will sometimes just post their medians or just their 25th/75th percentiles.

I believe schools have to post the full stats by December 15, which is the deadline for publishing their ABA 509 reports.
Thank's for the info, Grande Bellezza :) . Any thoughts on how schools will approach declining applications? If apps continue to decline at the same rate as they did last year (which could be the case, given that registration for June's LSAT was down 8% if I'm not mistaken), will T14 schools be forced to settle for lower medians? Or will schools just cut continue to cut incoming class sizes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oxie

Bronze

Post by oxie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Thank's for the info, Grande Bellezza :) . Any thoughts on how schools will approach declining applications? If apps continue to decline at the same rate as they did last year (which could be the case, given that registration for June's LSAT was down 8% if I'm not mistaken), will T14 schools be forced to settle for lower medians? Or will schools just cut continue to cut incoming class sizes?
Di niente! :wink:

Last year most T14s let their LSAT medians drop a bit, although it's worth nothing that the number of 170+ applicants actually increased this year. T14 class sizes have also decreased somewhat in the past few years. It'll be interesting to see where the final numbers end up for this cycle. In terms of predictions for how schools will react going forward, someone like Mike Spivey would probably be a better person to ask!

pdt1765

New

Post by pdt1765 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Word has it June LSAT takers down to 21,802, almost a 10% decrease from a year ago. This can only mean medians will dip as well across the board.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm

It will be interesting to see how these schools approach this situation. Like for Georgetown, you have to imagine they are going to have to cut their huge class size or face at least a point (or 2) median LSAT decrease. But then again, isn't it hard to imagine T14 incoming medians being at UCLA or UT's current level? Even if the latter schools likewise accept lower medians, it would be strange to see these elite schools having a 166 or 167 median for their incoming class.

Penguin515

New

Post by Penguin515 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:14 pm

It wouldn't be that strange imo. Cornell's Median for the past year was 167 according to their own website.

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... plying.cfm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Top 14 and probably top 20 will keep the same median I think but the lower ranked schools will drop again for sure.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Penguin515 wrote:It wouldn't be that strange imo. Cornell's Median for the past year was 167 according to their own website.

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admiss ... plying.cfm
True. Cornell's apps did not decline last year, so they will probably still have a 167 median LSAT score for their incoming class. Take UCB, however. Their LSAT median was 167 last year. However, apps to Berkeley decreased around 15% this past cycle, and for all we know, UCB might face a similar decline next cycle. So it's not crazy to think that what was once considered to be one of the hardest schools in the country to get into could have a 166 median next year. That is the same score that schools like Minnesota and BC had just a couple years ago.

It would be kind of weird to start seeing schools like Northwestern and UCB, who had 170 medians just a couple of years ago, descend into the mid-160's. But then again, all of this is speculation. Schools might just start cutting class sizes in a major way, and avoid any huge decreases in median.

pdt1765

New

Post by pdt1765 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”