C&F Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DaRascal

Gold

C&F Advice

Post by DaRascal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Last edited by DaRascal on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

wingding

Bronze

Re: C&F Advice

Post by wingding » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:49 pm

Was the charge dismissed without prejudice?

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:50 pm

Last edited by DaRascal on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingding

Bronze

Post by wingding » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:02 pm

DaRascal wrote:"Have you ever been...charged with a criminal offense that was later dismissed as a result of a plea bargain or alternative sentencing arrangement, or are such criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?"
1: "Have you ever been...charged with a criminal offense
2: that was later dismissed as a result of a plea bargain or alternative sentencing arrangement
3: or are such criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?"

The requirement is 1 + (2 or 3)

Analysis of prong 1:
"Have you ever been...charged with a criminal offense - yes, yes you have.

Analysis of prong 2:
that was later dismissed as a result of a plea bargain or alternative sentencing arrangement
again, 3 parts. (A) that was later dismissed (B) as a result of a plea bargain or (C) alternative sentencing arrangement. The requirement is A + (B or C)
A) that was later dismissed Yep, it was dismissed
B) as a result of a plea bargain Nope, no plea bargain
C) or alternative sentencing arrangement Nope, no alternative sentencing arrangement
A is true, B is false, and C is false.
A being true is not enough, because A must be true and either B or C must be true, but both B and C are false, therefore, prong 2 fails.

analysis of prong 3:
or are such criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?"
Nope, not true (unless you're not telling us something -and let's be honest, you're a weird one, who knows what shit you've been up to)

1 is true, 2 is false, and 3 is false.
1 being true is not enough, because 1 must be true and either 2 or 3 must be true, but both 2 and 3 are false, therefore, no need to disclose

disclaimer: I've treated this as an LSAT question, and am not providing legal advice of any kind. I take no responsibility for being completely wrong. Like you are. Always.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:15 pm

having your thread locked generally isn't an invitation to start a new one to continue the discussion

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wingding

Bronze

Post by wingding » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Brut wrote:having your thread locked generally isn't an invitation to start a new one to continue the discussion
Obviously you missed the part where he can't take no for an answer

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Last edited by DaRascal on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingding

Bronze

Post by wingding » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:31 pm

DaRascal wrote:Thanks, wingding, I appreciate your response and I am convinced you are right.
Keep in mind that it's not my ass that's in trouble if I'm wrong. Maybe you should get professional help?

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wingding

Bronze

Post by wingding » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:39 pm

DaRascal wrote:
wingding wrote:Maybe you should get professional help?

A couple of pieces of paper hanging on a wall isn't going to make someone more correct than you. The 4th post in this thread is flawless and gives me a definitive answer to my question. Thank you, my friend. :)
I was thinking more along the line of a psychologist or a sociologist, but, whatever

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Do you HAVE to disclose this. Maybe, maybe not. I'm not completely convinced that you don't have to.

SHOULD you disclose even if you don't have to? YES! If only out of an abundance of caution, you ABSOLUTELY should disclose every little thing that could potentially be a C&F issue. If you have to ask the question "Should I disclose?", the answer is almost always Yes!.

When you apply for the bar and the examiners find this--and they will find it--you are going to be asked why you didn't disclose and you are going to have a lot of problems. You don't have a good reason for not disclosing.

I have read some of your posts and I know that you are really just looking for someone to validate your opinion that you aren't at fault and that you don't have to disclose. But if you go that route you are making a huge, potentially life ruining, mistake. Do you really want to go $50k+ in debt and not be able to get a job that will let you pay it back because you didn't get admitted to the bar just because you refuse to take responsibility for your actions?

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:40 pm

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:21 pm

wingding wrote:
DaRascal wrote:"Have you ever been...charged with a criminal offense that was later dismissed as a result of a plea bargain or alternative sentencing arrangement, or are such criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?"
1: "Have you ever been...charged with a criminal offense
2: that was later dismissed as a result of a plea bargain or alternative sentencing arrangement
3: or are such criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?"

The requirement is 1 + (2 or 3)

Analysis of prong 1:
"Have you ever been...charged with a criminal offense - yes, yes you have.

Analysis of prong 2:
that was later dismissed as a result of a plea bargain or alternative sentencing arrangement
again, 3 parts. (A) that was later dismissed (B) as a result of a plea bargain or (C) alternative sentencing arrangement. The requirement is A + (B or C)
A) that was later dismissed Yep, it was dismissed
B) as a result of a plea bargain Nope, no plea bargain
C) or alternative sentencing arrangement Nope, no alternative sentencing arrangement
A is true, B is false, and C is false.
A being true is not enough, because A must be true and either B or C must be true, but both B and C are false, therefore, prong 2 fails.

analysis of prong 3:
or are such criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you?"
Nope, not true (unless you're not telling us something -and let's be honest, you're a weird one, who knows what shit you've been up to)

1 is true, 2 is false, and 3 is false.
1 being true is not enough, because 1 must be true and either 2 or 3 must be true, but both 2 and 3 are false, therefore, no need to disclose

disclaimer: I've treated this as an LSAT question, and am not providing legal advice of any kind. I take no responsibility for being completely wrong. Like you are. Always.
Hahahaha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wingding

Bronze

Post by wingding » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DaRascal wrote:
theotherone823 wrote: When you apply for the bar and the examiners find this--and they will find it--you are going to be asked why you didn't disclose and you are going to have a lot of problems. You don't have a good reason for not disclosing.
I do have a good reason for not disclosing. I want to maximize my chances of admission at that school (why do people retake the LSAT and try to get the best grades they possibly can in college?), it is unfair that a mistake that would not affect my ability to function as a lawyer would, if disclosed, adversely affect those chances and how I'm perceived in the eyes of future employers who find out about that mistake through a background check, and the language of the application form does not require me to disclose that mistake.
How about a mistake indicative that you should not be a lawyer?

theotherone823

Bronze

Post by theotherone823 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:01 pm

DaRascal wrote:
theotherone823 wrote: When you apply for the bar and the examiners find this--and they will find it--you are going to be asked why you didn't disclose and you are going to have a lot of problems. You don't have a good reason for not disclosing.
I do have a good reason for not disclosing. I want to maximize my chances of admission at that school (why do people retake the LSAT and try to get the best grades they possibly can in college?), it is unfair that a mistake that would not affect my ability to function as a lawyer would, if disclosed, adversely affect those chances and how I'm perceived in the eyes of future employers who find out about that mistake through a background check, and the language of the application form does not require me to disclose that mistake.
That's not a good reason. In fact, if that's the reason you give the bar examiners, I can damn near guarantee that you will never get admitted to the bar. What you are saying is no different from an attorney saying: "Well I really wanted to increase my chances of winning the trial, so I withheld evidence that could possible have helped the other side." That is an ethics violation and it is the exact thing that the bar examiners are trying to avoid. The whole point of C&F screening is to make sure that you are going to be an ethical lawyer. Any past record of unethical behavior, or even just perceived unethical behavior, is going to be a serious stain on your bar application. The best way to deal with it is to be upfront and honest about it and take responsibility for your actions. Stop trying to waive a magic wand and make your mistakes everyone elses fault or pretend that your mistakes aren't relevant. They are. Man up. It might not be fair, but the mature and responsible thing to do is to take responsibility for your mistakes, even if it might hurt you. If you aren't mature enough to accept that, then you aren't mature enough to go to law school.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:09 pm

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:10 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:30 pm

sunsheyen

New

Post by sunsheyen » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Applying to Mercer?

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Last edited by DaRascal on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SnakySalmon

Bronze

Post by SnakySalmon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:28 pm

There's no point to EDing to a school other than Northwestern, since it'll cost you any scholarships, and you don't seem like you'd get the Northwestern ED scholarship, so I don't see the point.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:38 pm

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:39 pm

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”