Concerned about lack of softs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
You'veGotRedOnYou

New

Concerned about lack of softs

Post by You'veGotRedOnYou » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Hey there,

I'm currently signed up for the September LSAT and looking to apply this cycle. My GPA is a 3.97 and my target school is Penn. I'm hopefully looking to get a 170+ but I'm also a bit nervous I won't be able to achieve that score. Still, i'm more worried about how bad my lack of softs will impact my admission chances.

Basically, all i have is:

2 fortune 500 internships
Invitation Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society (its apparently a legitimate honor society, but should I even join this?)
Publication/ Involvement with Campus Paper
Publication in Gainesville Today

Pretty lame...I know.

I still have this semester to become involved with whatever I can. Any suggestions?

toothbrush

Gold

Re: Concerned about lack of softs

Post by toothbrush » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Your softs are fine.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:39 pm

not worse than most KJDs probably, but be aware you may underperform with no full time WE

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:42 pm

The internships with the big companies are good IMO. What really matters is that beautiful GPA, now get the LSAT score to match and law schools will be beggin' for ya.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:45 am

You'veGotRedOnYou wrote:Hey there,

I'm currently signed up for the September LSAT and looking to apply this cycle. My GPA is a 3.97 and my target school is Penn. I'm hopefully looking to get a 170+ but I'm also a bit nervous I won't be able to achieve that score. Still, i'm more worried about how bad my lack of softs will impact my admission chances.

Invitation Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society (its apparently a legitimate honor society, but should I even join this?)

Pretty lame...I know.

I still have this semester to become involved with whatever I can. Any suggestions?
Get your 170+ and these softs won't hurt you at all, even if they are a little on the lame side. Definitely don't join that honor society. Don't join any honor society not named Phi Beta Kappa. If you're still worried about softs, try doing a thesis or getting involved with some kind of community thing.

Sounds like you might be a fellow Gator too. If so, hello and welcome to TLS :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:46 am

james.bungles wrote:not worse than most KJDs probably, but be aware you may underperform with no full time WE
this hardly ever happens

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:09 am

Cicero76 wrote:
james.bungles wrote:not worse than most KJDs probably, but be aware you may underperform with no full time WE
this hardly ever happens

This cycle lots of people would disagree

You'veGotRedOnYou

New

Post by You'veGotRedOnYou » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
You'veGotRedOnYou wrote:Hey there,

Pretty lame...I know.

Get your 170+ and these softs won't hurt you at all, even if they are a little on the lame side. Definitely don't join that honor society. Don't join any honor society not named Phi Beta Kappa. If you're still worried about softs, try doing a thesis or getting involved with some kind of community thing.

Sounds like you might be a fellow Gator too. If so, hello and welcome to TLS :)
The thing is, I looked up online and read that Phi Kappa Phi is essentially the alternative to Phi Beta Kappa for schools without Phi Beta Kappa. I doubt its as prestigious though.

This is an alt account actually, so I've been here a bit, but thanks for the welcome regardless! And I actually go to another Florida school- although my girlfriend was indeed a fellow Gator (she's attending Penn this year, hence my "target school.")

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:01 pm

You'veGotRedOnYou wrote: The thing is, I looked up online and read that Phi Kappa Phi is essentially the alternative to Phi Beta Kappa for schools without Phi Beta Kappa. I doubt its as prestigious though.

This is an alt account actually, so I've been here a bit, but thanks for the welcome regardless! And I actually go to another Florida school- although my girlfriend was indeed a fellow Gator (she's attending Penn this year, hence my "target school.")
I'd expect you to perform more or less exactly as your numbers would indicate. Don't worry about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”