Undergrad Minor - please help me make a decision Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
andy2012

New

Undergrad Minor - please help me make a decision

Post by andy2012 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by andy2012 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

HRomanus

Silver

Re: Undergrad Minor - please help me make a decision

Post by HRomanus » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:31 pm

(1) Minors are basically useless in LS admissions and, I would assume, entirely useless in law firm hiring.

(2) I believe your LSAC GPA comes off the official transcript they receive, so any courses completed for the degree and reflected on the transcript will be reflected in your LSAC GPA.

(3) P/F in a couple classes will not have any major affect, but might undermine your point of minoring.

There's no real reason to stay another year beyond enjoying undergrad and boosting your LSAC GPA, which is high enough to be competitive anywhere. But seriously, don't waste your time or money. Having one year of work experience will do far more for your application than this minor or a tenth of a point GPA boost from it.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:12 am

1) If I had to choose based on your career goals, I would say finance, but know that your minor will most likely not affect law school decisions.
2) Poster above answered this and I think he/she is right.
3) As with most answers to these types of questions, I think only Yale/Stanford would really care about this. Surprised that you can take all your minor courses P/F though. At my school, even minor courses need to be taken for letter grades.

If you know for sure you are going to law school to become a lawyer, then your major and minor don't matter. Your LSAT and GPA are way more significant, so you should just focus on those and avoid doing things which would compromise either (including a minor which could bring down your GPA). Learning the field-specific knowledge and business savvy you will need should be possible later on; a basis in undergrad is supposedly not necessary.

andy2012

New

Post by andy2012 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:44 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by andy2012 on Wed May 11, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:07 pm

andy2012 wrote:Thank you for all the comments! I have decided not to take on a minor.
Good decision. Use the time to study for the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:37 pm

spanish

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Graduate with your current major & stellar GPA. If you have a driving desire to study accounting and/or finance, then consider getting an MBA after working for 2-5 years. Both accounting & finance can be useful for lawyers focusing on corporate/business matters, but that doesn't mean that you should jeopardize your current GPA if planning to apply to law schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”