UVA application: Letters of recommendation from employers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
npchristian1985

New

UVA application: Letters of recommendation from employers

Postby npchristian1985 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:23 am

I don't have a letter of recommendation from my undergrad. I was in the Marine Corps at the time and my command would not allow me to take classes unless I took them online. Unfortunately that left me with a different professor every class and more often than not on the other side of the country. I never really felt comfortable asking them to recommend me for law school considering each class was only 8 weeks long (accelerated program) and I didn't think they could really get to know me.

I can easily get two solid letters of recommendation from my employer (I work for state government). My concern is that admissions will see this negatively and be concerned that I do not have an academic LOR. My concerns are compounded by the fact that my undergrad was not especially challenging (criminal justice) nor at a prestigious school (Park University).

I have two years before I can attend (getting out of debt before I go to law school). Should I enroll at a local university just to get a LOR from a local professor?

Any thoughts?

thelawyerguy

New

Re: UVA application: Letters of recommendation from employers

Postby thelawyerguy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:33 am

Don't worry, two solid LOR is better than making sure you have one generic academic LOR.

swampman

Bronze

Postby swampman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:58 am

Don't worry at all about the academic LOR. Focus 100% on upping your LSAT.

After significant work experience (and time since graduating) academic LORs aren't so important. A high LSAT also proves you have strong reading and reasoning skills, which will mitigate any concerns they have about the quality of your undergrad education.

npchristian1985

New

Postby npchristian1985 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:49 pm

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer. I appreciate it.

Best of luck!

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:25 pm

I got in at UVA with no academic LORs. Can confirm the above.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�