Addedum Necessary?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MtnGinger

Bronze

Addedum Necessary?

Postby MtnGinger » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:51 pm

So I have a decent GPA currently 3.8 and hoping to increase in the fall. I will be applying to schools this fall and my dream is Berkeley but I have one problem with my transcript, my fall of junior year. I was doing a study abroad program in Vienna that didn't start until October and I went there in August to take a language class beforehand. I finished the three week language class but I can't receive credit for it. My aunt who needs a kidney became very ill causing family trouble and my mom ended up pulling me from the program back home around October 1st which was too late to take any other classes and I couldn't work. I ended up spending the semester taking care of my grandparents. Will it look terrible to have a whole semester with no work and no classes? Should I write an addendum?

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Re: Addedum Necessary?

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:57 pm

MtnGinger wrote:So I have a decent GPA currently 3.8 and hoping to increase in the fall. I will be applying to schools this fall and my dream is Berkeley but I have one problem with my transcript, my fall of junior year. I was doing a study abroad program in Vienna that didn't start until October and I went there in August to take a language class beforehand. I finished the three week language class but I can't receive credit for it. My aunt who needs a kidney became very ill causing family trouble and my mom ended up pulling me from the program back home around October 1st which was too late to take any other classes and I couldn't work. I ended up spending the semester taking care of my grandparents. Will it look terrible to have a whole semester with no work and no classes? Should I write an addendum?

People take years, or even decades off between undergrad semesters. I think an addendum would just look whiney to be honest but I could be wrong. Just focus on getting the best grades you can. If you want to mention it, you could possibly turn the topic into a personal statement.

McAvoy

Gold

Postby McAvoy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:02 pm

If applying HYS, IDK. If not, no.

oxie

Bronze

Postby oxie » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:10 pm

Many schools ask for a brief (500 characters or less) explanation of post-high school education gaps, so you will probably need to write an addendum. Even for those that don't require an addendum, though, I think it would be a good idea to send one so they don't jump to any bad conclusions about what you were doing with your time off. But I definitely don't think it will hurt your application as long as you provide an explanation.

MtnGinger

Bronze

Postby MtnGinger » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Thanks I'll definitely start working on one. I figure as long as I don't sound whiney it can't really hurt.

ms9

Gold

Postby ms9 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:14 pm

oxie wrote:Many schools ask for a brief (500 characters or less) explanation of post-high school education gaps, so you will probably need to write an addendum. Even for those that don't require an addendum, though, I think it would be a good idea to send one so they don't jump to any bad conclusions about what you were doing with your time off. But I definitely don't think it will hurt your application as long as you provide an explanation.

This.

Plus if you just state the facts it won't sound whiney.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�