Deciphering status language Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mizzou

New

Deciphering status language

Post by Mizzou » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:08 pm

I applied to several schools, but Alabama was my top choice. I was "under review" up until a few days ago. Now my status has changed to "pending final review." I called and was told a final decision would be made by the end of June.

I've already been accepted and placed a deposit down at the U of Missouri, and received a scholarship that covers 2/3 of my tuition, allowing me to graduate debt free and with money left in my 529. If I don't go, I lose a deposit and the scholarship. Also have to finagle an apartment lease situation.

Here is my question: is "pending final review" the language used right before you get rejected? Or is it more likely going to lead to an acceptance? I wondered if anyone had more experience with these things and might be able to shed some light.

Thanks!

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Re: Deciphering status language

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:02 am

I think you are trying to read into something that can't be successfully read into. Pending final review most likely means....well, that they are getting close to making a final decision. I realize it sucks, but you will just have to wait until a decision is made to have any clarity. On the bright side, you weren't auto-dinged, but I think it could still go either way. Good luck.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Not to derail this thread but what are the stipulations on that scholarship?

Mizzou

New

Post by Mizzou » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:18 am

For the scholarship I have to maintain a 3.0 and be a full-time student. It was a very generous scholarship.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:24 am

Mizzou wrote:For the scholarship I have to maintain a 3.0 and be a full-time student. It was a very generous scholarship.
What is the median? How many people lose their scholarships? 3.0 is generally a pretty high bar, one or two bad days and boom, you lose it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:11 pm

phillywc wrote:
Mizzou wrote:For the scholarship I have to maintain a 3.0 and be a full-time student. It was a very generous scholarship.
What is the median? How many people lose their scholarships? 3.0 is generally a pretty high bar, one or two bad days and boom, you lose it.
Depending on which campus you're talking about (Columbia vs. Kansas City), the job prospects from U of Missouri law school are bad or terrible. Neither school is justifiable at anything less than a full ride, which you could lose. You should strongly consider calling the school and getting specific answers to both of the questions philly asks because the answers will probably surprise you.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:37 pm

Yeah, dude, proceed with caution. A lot of schools will offer very generous scholarships, then stack the deck so a lot of students lose them.

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Really confused that your username is "Mizzou" and yet Alabama was your top choice (I'm assuming you are from Missouri).

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:12 am

I'm guessing Kansas City, since Columbia uses a non-standard grading system? Searched but couldn't find their median GPA with a valid citation (although it's purported to be under 3.0 - http://www.top-law-schools.com/wiki/UMKC_School_of_Law). They don't mention the curve at all on their website, except to say that 3.0 is a B, which is hardly useful. Here is their 509e, which like all of the ABA required disclosures, they've done a great job of hiding: http://law.umkc.edu/pdfs/scholarship-data-aba.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paayter

Bronze

Post by paayter » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:40 am

phillywc wrote:

lol not if u go uva where the median is a 3.5!!! they really need to just standardize medians across all schools

Mizzou

New

Post by Mizzou » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks for the responses and links. I'm referring to the U of MO-Columbia campus, not UMKC. I checked and scholarship requires I stay in top 50% of class, and since my goal is to be in the top ten %, that should be very doable. And yes, I'm from MO, but love AL and it was my first choice.
Definitely appreciate all of the feedback and info and wish everyone good luck!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Exchanged PMs with OP, but I want to reiterate in here for the benefit of others who may be considering similar stips.

A top 50% stip is not a very good deal; over the past four years 37% of scholarship recipients at UMissouri-Columbia did not retain their awards. That's an awful track record -- close to four out of every ten people who had the GPA/LSAT to get $$ from UMissouri-Columbia had it taken away from them.

In a situation like this, you simply must try to negotiate with financial aid about the stip. Maybe they can lower the cutoff or eliminate it altogether. Remember - everyone thinks they're going to do well in law school, especially those with the stats to get $$. But the data suggests this is a risky presumption.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”