Unusual Profile Evaluation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoolpol

New

Unusual Profile Evaluation

Postby lawschoolpol » Sat May 24, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking for admisssions advice on a somewhat unusual profile.

In short, I have an interest in pursuing politics as well as a general fascination with the law, and I want to know what I need to do to get in to either Harvard or Yale for law school.

About me:

I graduated from a top 10 school (not HY) with a physics degree four years ago, and a ~3.0 GPA (I've never looked at it, but it's somewhere around there). Toward the end of my freshman year, I started a business which I ran throughout college and afterword, and which was eventually acquired in a payout that netted me nine figures. Since then, I've been travelling the world and generally decompressing. I Haven't taken the LSAT, but I scored a 179 on the free practice exam the LSAC publishes (no prep), and I had a perfect SAT score, so I don't imagine I'll have a hard time on that front.

I've done a bit of research, and it seems that based purely upon stats, I'm probably inadmissible at either school, but my business experience is pretty unusual. What do you guys think? And if not - who would I contact for developmental admissions?

transferror

Silver

Re: Unusual Profile Evaluation

Postby transferror » Sat May 24, 2014 7:16 pm

why the hell do you want to go to law school?

HRomanus

Silver

Postby HRomanus » Sat May 24, 2014 7:30 pm

transferror wrote:why the hell do you want to go to law school?

+1

Law school is just another form of investment. Unless you've squandered the cash, law school is probably a bad investment for you. You obviously have the intelligence and business skills to be very successful in the corporate world and, with your experience, should find lucrative employment there quickly.

Why is your GPA so low? Your standardized tests indicate you're intelligent and your business success indicates you're diligent and hardworking. What happened?

Cicero76

Silver

Postby Cicero76 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:35 pm

If he has NINE FIGURES in cash money and is bored and wants to go to law school, then why the hell shouldn't he? If he perfects the LSAT and writes about how he started an insanely successful company, there's a good chance HY will take him because they love to tout that stuff in their promo materials. And if he's a bored millionaire who wants to think about politics, then spending a year trying to go to Harvard or Yale law school seems like a perfectly fine hobby to me.

Go for it dude, and if you get into Yale, buy come me dinner with some of your ridiculous amounts of cash money and I'll hook you up.

(*this post assumes OP is not a flame who is trolling about making $100m as a 20 something)

mt2165

Silver

Postby mt2165 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Lol wtf

jkhalfa

Bronze

Postby jkhalfa » Sat May 24, 2014 7:56 pm

lawschoolpol wrote:I scored a 179 on the free practice exam the LSAC publishes (no prep)

I have to say I'm skeptical.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat May 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Donate a building or start a named scholarship. It would actually be pretty cool if there was a Yale or Harvard version of the Ruby. This, of course, assumes you're not just making crap up.

ymmv

Diamond

Postby ymmv » Sat May 24, 2014 8:36 pm

jkhalfa wrote:
lawschoolpol wrote:I scored a 179 on the free practice exam the LSAC publishes (no prep)

Lots of bells ringing at that bit. Instantly made me call BS on the whole post - especially in tandem with the 3.0.

jkhalfa

Bronze

Postby jkhalfa » Sat May 24, 2014 8:53 pm

ymmv wrote:
jkhalfa wrote:

Lots of bells ringing at that bit. Instantly made me call BS on the whole post - especially in tandem with the 3.0.

If this guy really is a 1 in a billion genius with $100,000,000+, he should be gunning for a nobel prize or the presidency or ending global poverty or something, not trying to get an HY JD.

I know if I were the next Einstein and a multimillionaire, I'd want to do more with my life than pay a quarter mil to sit in class for 3 years and get a degree I don't even have a reasonable use for.

ymmv

Diamond

Postby ymmv » Sat May 24, 2014 8:58 pm

jkhalfa wrote:
ymmv wrote:
jkhalfa wrote:

If this guy really is a 1 in a billion genius with $100,000,000+, he should be gunning for a nobel prize or the presidency or ending global poverty or something, not trying to get an HY JD.

I know if I were the next Einstein and a multimillionaire, I'd want to do more with my life than pay a quarter mil to sit in class for 3 years and get a degree I don't even have a reasonable use for.

Dude, school is like the funnest part of life. I enjoyed my professional break between UG and law school, but I would pick "career student" over any practical occupation in a heartbeat if I had unlimited funds to sustain me.

lawschoolpol

New

Postby lawschoolpol » Sat May 24, 2014 9:22 pm

HRomanus wrote:Law school is just another form of investment. Unless you've squandered the cash, law school is probably a bad investment for you. You obviously have the intelligence and business skills to be very successful in the corporate world and, with your experience, should find lucrative employment there quickly.

Why is your GPA so low? Your standardized tests indicate you're intelligent and your business success indicates you're diligent and hardworking. What happened?

As to costs, make no mistake: I see law school as a consumption good. I have no need for money, and I never will - I want to go to law school because I'm curious about the law, I'd like to pursue a career in politics, and because I'm getting bored with my current lifestyle. Exotic travel is entertaining for a time, but eventually I need to find something meaningful to do with my life. Finally, I'm more than a little lonely right now. And I would enjoy returning to a low-stress student lifestyle where I'm living with and learning from people around my age.

Regarding my GPA: 80 hours/week growing my business didn't leave much time for schoolwork - and physics was not my strong suit. I majored in it because I found it entertaining, and regularly skipped class to pursue business opportunities. For what it's worth, before I started the business, my first-year GPA was about a 3.7 or so.

ymmv wrote:Dude, school is like the funnest part of life. I enjoyed my professional break between UG and law school, but I would pick "career student" over any practical occupation in a heartbeat if I had unlimited funds to sustain me.

This, basically. I'm also contemplating doing another random degree program just for fun (Oxford M.St. art history).

beepboopbeep

Silver

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat May 24, 2014 9:26 pm

ymmv wrote:
jkhalfa wrote:If this guy really is a 1 in a billion genius with $100,000,000+, he should be gunning for a nobel prize or the presidency or ending global poverty or something, not trying to get an HY JD.

Dude, school is like the funnest part of life. I enjoyed my professional break between UG and law school, but I would pick "career student" over any practical occupation in a heartbeat if I had unlimited funds to sustain me.

Same, but though I generally enjoy law school, it's probably not something I'd spend three years on even if I were going for a ton of crazy degrees. I guess if you're a serial entrepreneur having some legal training could be helpful. Maybe he's gearing up for political office?

Or troll. Probably more likely.

beepboopbeep

Silver

Postby beepboopbeep » Sat May 24, 2014 9:34 pm

lawschoolpol wrote:
HRomanus wrote:Law school is just another form of investment. Unless you've squandered the cash, law school is probably a bad investment for you. You obviously have the intelligence and business skills to be very successful in the corporate world and, with your experience, should find lucrative employment there quickly.

As to costs, make no mistake: I see law school as a consumption good. I have no need for money, and I never will - I want to go to law school because I'm curious about the law, I'd like to pursue a career in politics, and because I'm getting bored with my current lifestyle. Exotic travel is entertaining for a time, but eventually I need to find something meaningful to do with my life. Finally, I'm more than a little lonely right now. And I would enjoy returning to a low-stress student lifestyle where I'm living with and learning from people around my age.

Regarding my GPA: 80 hours/week growing my business didn't leave much time for schoolwork - and physics was not my strong suit. I majored in it because I found it entertaining, and regularly skipped class to pursue business opportunities. For what it's worth, before I started the business, my first-year GPA was about a 3.7 or so.

ymmv wrote:Dude, school is like the funnest part of life. I enjoyed my professional break between UG and law school, but I would pick "career student" over any practical occupation in a heartbeat if I had unlimited funds to sustain me.

This, basically. I'm also contemplating doing another random degree program just for fun (Oxford M.St. art history).

Taking you seriously, if you're looking for a low-stress student lifestyle, law school is probably not the program you're looking for. There is like one guy in my class of 200 who's taking it easy and doing law school for fun. "Low-stress" and "student lifestyle" are not descriptions generally associated with law school. If you do go, it'll be somewhat hard to interact on the same level with people who are staking their financial futures and longterm careers on law school success. Then again, everything I've heard from 2Ls/3Ls points to it getting a lot more chill once you get out of 1L.

I'd really recommend a master's program over law school if the above is your goal. Do the fun stuff. I'm among the more enthusiastic lawl students in my class, regularly nerding out over shit like self-help specific performance remedies in contract doctrine of duress, and even I wouldn't say it's "fun" compared to other academic disciplines. Hell man, you can do three 1-year master's programs all in different things in the time it would take to get through law school.
Last edited by beepboopbeep on Sat May 24, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synch

Bronze

Postby Synch » Sat May 24, 2014 9:35 pm

Obvious troll is obvious.

jkhalfa

Bronze

Postby jkhalfa » Sat May 24, 2014 9:41 pm

ymmv wrote:

I can see the appeal, but we're talking about a potentially world-changing amount of money. I'd feel terribly lazy and wasteful if I spent my time collecting useless degrees instead of starting companies, buying politicians, directing research, saving starving orphans, etc.

But OP is probably a troll anyway so whatever.

HRomanus

Silver

Postby HRomanus » Sat May 24, 2014 9:45 pm

For the record, if someone with a nine-figure net worth is using TLS, hell yes.

If I had that much money as a twenty-something and wanted to pursue politics, I definitely wouldn't go to law school. I would go heavy into philanthropy and investing and take a prestige position in a company/nonprofit friendly to my political persuasion. At that wealth, the opportunity cost from three years spent studying law is huge.

DELG

Gold

Postby DELG » Sat May 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Donate a building, problem solved

lawschoolpol

New

Postby lawschoolpol » Sun May 25, 2014 3:50 pm

So nobody has actual advice? And I have looked at other things... I considered buying an ambassadorship, for instance, but it turns out to be much more difficult than just writing a check.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 25, 2014 3:53 pm

lawschoolpol wrote:So nobody has actual advice? And I have looked at other things... I considered buying an ambassadorship, for instance, but it turns out to be much more difficult than just writing a check.

I would hope so.

DELG

Gold

Postby DELG » Sun May 25, 2014 3:54 pm

lawschoolpol wrote:So nobody has actual advice? And I have looked at other things... I considered buying an ambassadorship, for instance, but it turns out to be much more difficult than just writing a check.

I think my advice was pretty solid. If it doesnt work straight off it might be easier to donate your way in as a transfer.

FuriousDuck

Silver

Postby FuriousDuck » Sun May 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Last edited by FuriousDuck on Thu May 29, 2014 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

dabigchina

Gold

Postby dabigchina » Sun May 25, 2014 6:27 pm

y'all poastin in a troll thread.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�