waitlist etiquette Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Silver

waitlist etiquette

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:06 pm

So soon after writing an apparently dynamite LOCI I got a call from a high ranking admissions official asking me where I was in the decision process. My loci showed a lot of interest but I obviously didn't say I would attend for sure if admitted.

I told him that I was very interested but needed some time to think. I felt/feel kind of awkward. If I was in his shoes I would be thinking "Wtf? Then why did he write that LOCI and submit it just hours ago."

What is considered proper here?

HRomanus

Silver

Re: waitlist etiquette

Post by HRomanus » Wed May 21, 2014 5:12 pm

Did he extend an offer of admission?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:35 pm

HRomanus wrote:Did he extend an offer of admission?
De facto offer. Not explicitly. But no one who gets the call and says they would attend is not accepted

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Wed May 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Seoulless wrote:
De facto offer. Not explicitly. But no one who gets the call and says they would attend is not accepted
Stop the madness! Why did you not say you would attend? There's literally no downside to saying that.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:25 pm

HRomanus wrote:
Seoulless wrote:
Stop the madness! Why did you not say you would attend? There's literally no downside to saying that.
Can't make that commitment at this point... It would def make me look bad to say that and back out. BTW I am heavily considering retaking so its very possible I will be applying again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Wed May 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Seoulless wrote:Can't make that commitment at this point... It would def make me look bad to say that and back out. BTW I am heavily considering retaking so its very possible I will be applying again.
If you do attend this year, I don't think backing out of a verbal commitment would injure your career prospects.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed May 21, 2014 6:52 pm

HRomanus wrote:
Seoulless wrote:Can't make that commitment at this point... It would def make me look bad to say that and back out. BTW I am heavily considering retaking so its very possible I will be applying again.
If you do attend this year, I don't think backing out of a verbal commitment would injure your career prospects.
But it would injure the chances of a positive admission for next cycle, no? Fuck me over once...

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Wed May 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Seoulless wrote:But it would injure the chances of a positive admission for next cycle, no? Fuck me over once...
Yea probably, so I understand why you were hesistant with the decision. Still, you probably could have worded it in such a way as to get the offer without making an explicit commitment. From what I understand of WLs, it's pretty unlikely you'll be admitted this cycle.

Trout et al

Bronze

Post by Trout et al » Wed May 21, 2014 7:30 pm

Last edited by Trout et al on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Trout et al wrote:What is the school?

Dean: "Where are you in the decision process?"
You: "Hi Dean of Y! I am currently planning to attend X, with the possibility of sitting out a year to strengthen my application, but I would love the opportunity to attend Y! Y has been my top choice since the beginning of the admissions process."

I'm assuming that the situation is that you would like to attend, but not at any cost. I was in a similar situation in my cycle. You don't need to say unequivocally that you will attend if admitted, but you want to still come of as enthusiastic as possible so that they don't think they are wasting an admit.

How did the conversation end?
PMed the name of the school to you. The conversation ended pretty well in the sense I did not sense any non-linguistic cues that there was some frustration with me (changes in voice tone, shortness etc..) or other change in his/the school's feelings about me.

I think what you said would be great advice. How did it work out for you?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”