Lewis & Clark Law vs. Oregon Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which should I chose - Lewis & Clark or University of Oregon?

Lewis & Clark Law School
65%
University of Oregon School of Law
35%

Total votes: 20

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Re: Lewis & Clark Law vs. Oregon Law

Post by yeslekkkk » Mon May 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Here's an idea: Move to Portland. Declare residency. Get a job. Study for the LSAT and retake. Enjoy outdoorsy adventures. Apply next cycle. Make connections in Oregon. Figure out if you're dedicated to the state for the long run. Get more of a scholly to either school. Go to school. There we go.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon May 05, 2014 12:40 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:Here's an idea: Move to Portland. Declare residency. Get a job. Study for the LSAT and retake. Enjoy outdoorsy adventures. Apply next cycle. Make connections in Oregon. Figure out if you're dedicated to the state for the long run. Get more of a scholly to either school. Go to school. There we go.

Solid plan, OP. Include it in your personal statement too.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:07 pm

Lewis and Clark is a good option only for people from here (or who have lived here for 5ish plus years), get a massive scholly, and have zero biglaw aspirations.

U of O can be okay under the same conditions as above.

Willamette is an absolute toilet. Don't go there under any circumstances, that school needs to be bulldozed.

OP, if you want to work in Portland as a lawyer, you need to live here before LS. End of story.

dsamuels

Bronze

Post by dsamuels » Mon May 05, 2014 1:11 pm

deputydog wrote:Lewis and Clark is a good option only for people from here (or who have lived here for 5ish plus years), get a massive scholly, and have zero biglaw aspirations.

Willamette is an absolute toilet. Don't go there under any circumstances, that school needs to be bulldozed.

OP, if you want to work in Portland as a lawyer, you need to live here before LS. End of story.
I'm from the area and agree with deputydog 100%. hahaha Willamette.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:15 pm

dsamuels wrote:
deputydog wrote:Lewis and Clark is a good option only for people from here (or who have lived here for 5ish plus years), get a massive scholly, and have zero biglaw aspirations.

I'm from the area and agree with deputydog 100%. hahaha Willamette.
Yupp. I don't think people realize how many people move here because they heard whatever great thing, and then move two years later because they can't stand the drizzle. The legal market in PDX might be the most parochial in the country.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kali5

New

Post by Kali5 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:42 pm

I’m always shocked at the responses I see on this website. These are both phenomenal schools in environmental law, and energy/land use is one of the fastest growing fields of law. Yes, Lewis and Clark and Oregon do not have national pull, but they are widely respected on the west coast. Portland is your best shot at a great job and that’s where most your connections will be made, so I recommend L&C on the basis of location, but do not listen to these “T-14 or bust” purists. Claiming you won’t get a job if you don’t graduate top 10% of in your class or from a T14 is ludicrous, you may not get a 6 figure job initially, but if you build experience there is growth potential, seasoned lawyers are in demand. Best of luck

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”