Trying to get everything in order early for admissions. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DSD2013

New

Trying to get everything in order early for admissions.

Post by DSD2013 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:04 pm

Hey everyone, Just finished my 3rd year in undergraduate with a 3.8 gpa cumulative. I just made an LSAC account. I would like to get a lot of things done early such as sending in my transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc. What should I be doing? I am studying for the September 2014 LSAT and would like to have everything in order so that once I receive my score I could send in my application.

Thanks.
Last edited by DSD2013 on Thu May 01, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Reporting Race Creating LSAC Account?

Post by bk1 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:06 pm

It won't matter.

WaltGrace83

Silver

Re: Trying to get everything in order early for admissions.

Post by WaltGrace83 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:22 pm

The biggest advice I have (which you cannot take it this late anyway but I'll post it for future applicants) is to game your LORs. What I mean is that people often will ask for LORs months or, in most cases, years after they have had the professor. The problem is that the professor will probably not be able to pinpoint the most specific things about you that makes you you.

When I asked for LORs, I asked within days of receiving my grade in that class. I started getting LORs my sophomore year of college and I have all three of my LORs in now, even though I won't even be applying until this upcoming cycle or maybe even later. I was able to sit down with my profs, have all the original drafts of my work with their comments on them, and give them the forms early so they could take as long or as little time to craft my LOR as they wanted to. It was probably nice for them to hear "just get to it when you have some spare time" as I am sure most students wait until the deadlines are approaching to get their LORs. Hopefully, it worked out!

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Thu May 01, 2014 11:16 pm

WaltGrace83 wrote:The biggest advice I have (which you cannot take it this late anyway but I'll post it for future applicants) is to game your LORs. What I mean is that people often will ask for LORs months or, in most cases, years after they have had the professor. The problem is that the professor will probably not be able to pinpoint the most specific things about you that makes you you.

When I asked for LORs, I asked within days of receiving my grade in that class. I started getting LORs my sophomore year of college and I have all three of my LORs in now, even though I won't even be applying until this upcoming cycle or maybe even later. I was able to sit down with my profs, have all the original drafts of my work with their comments on them, and give them the forms early so they could take as long or as little time to craft my LOR as they wanted to. It was probably nice for them to hear "just get to it when you have some spare time" as I am sure most students wait until the deadlines are approaching to get their LORs. Hopefully, it worked out!
This is definitely credited. The only caveat is that you may end up taking more classes with/doing more work for the professor and therefore want an updated letter. This happened to me, as one of my LOR writers ended up as one of my thesis advisers. If you think that this may be the case, out of courtesy be sure to let the professor know ahead of time that a request for a rewrite may be in the future.

lilyt93

New

Post by lilyt93 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:43 am

WaltGrace83 wrote:The biggest advice I have (which you cannot take it this late anyway but I'll post it for future applicants) is to game your LORs. What I mean is that people often will ask for LORs months or, in most cases, years after they have had the professor. The problem is that the professor will probably not be able to pinpoint the most specific things about you that makes you you.

When you say that you have them in, what exactly do you mean by that? I'm also a junior applying this fall, and I just asked two of my professors to write LORs, but I was under the impression (very possibly incorrectly) that I would have to wait until later, maybe August, to get them to LSAC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alicepaul

New

Post by alicepaul » Fri May 02, 2014 10:58 am

lilyt93 wrote:

When you say that you have them in, what exactly do you mean by that? I'm also a junior applying this fall, and I just asked two of my professors to write LORs, but I was under the impression (very possibly incorrectly) that I would have to wait until later, maybe August, to get them to LSAC.
On LSAC, you will be able to enter their email addresses and they will be able to upload them to LSAC from there- that's what "having them in" means. If they want, they could also do it by mail (you would have to download the form for them) but I doubt that will happen. They can send them in at any time as long as you have an LSAC account. Like what everyone else said, try to get them in as early as possible- Oct. 1 is a good deadline, if not earlier. Don't be like me and be panicking because one of your recommenders hasn't submitted when you have all your other materials done.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Fri May 02, 2014 11:53 am

The only things you really need to worry about are LORs and a dean's letter if you have character and fitness issues. You can do everything else while you're waiting for your score.

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Fri May 02, 2014 6:32 pm

That is an excellent strategy, but all is not lost for those applicants who didn't think to act in the moment. Creating a packet to go along with each recommendation request can make a positive impression on the recommender, make his/her job much easier, help ensure a balance among your recommendations and provide a reminder of key accomplishments, past compliments paid, etc. to refresh the professor's memory as he/she embarks on the letter.

lilyt93

New

Post by lilyt93 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:38 pm

alicepaul wrote:On LSAC, you will be able to enter their email addresses and they will be able to upload them to LSAC from there- that's what "having them in" means. If they want, they could also do it by mail (you would have to download the form for them) but I doubt that will happen. They can send them in at any time as long as you have an LSAC account. Like what everyone else said, try to get them in as early as possible- Oct. 1 is a good deadline, if not earlier. Don't be like me and be panicking because one of your recommenders hasn't submitted when you have all your other materials done.
Thanks, Alice! I'm planning to keep in touch with my recommenders over the summer, so late summer is probably a good time to enter the email addresses and make it available for them! I appreciate your help!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Sat May 03, 2014 2:54 pm

I asked profs for my LORs in March for the next cycle. Best thing I did for my apps honestly. I gave them a "deadline" of my graduation to get them in (i was taking a year to work in between LS and undergrad) bc I wanted to have that portion of my apps done while I was still around campus to take care of things in person. Both profs had the letter in by the end of May before I left. It was great to have that done and over with. I say ask earlier than later bc that gives them enough time to write it without you hounding them.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sat May 03, 2014 3:40 pm

Working on your PS a bit can't hurt. I found it difficult to write while waiting for my score. Plus, revisions are more effective if you take some time after the initial write, so if you get a draft in decent shape over the summer and revise in September you should be good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”