Problem with new job Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
luuma

Bronze

Problem with new job

Post by luuma » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Wow I did not get a single answer to my main question. Deleted!
Last edited by luuma on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fiero85

Gold

Re: Problem with new job

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Does your new employer know you are considering going to law school in like 4 months?

If not, leaving in so soon in August is a total dick move for any job that isn't seasonal or short term.

Even if you get into your most preferred school you should wait a year and save money. Defer or re-apply altogether to your current schools with more WE in your app.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Fiero85 wrote:Does your new employer know you are considering going to law school in like 4 months?

If not, leaving in so soon in August is a total dick move for any job that isn't seasonal or short term.

Even if you get into your most preferred school you should wait a year and save money. Defer or re-apply altogether to your current schools with more WE in your app.

No because I wasnt sure if I'd get in or if I'd defer another year. In case I didnt like the job, or whatever the case I didnt want to pass up the opportunity of losing out and everything else also not working out. But that's besides the case in the question I ask if its advisable to disclose this?

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:50 pm

At this point a scholarship making attending worthwhile is extremely unlikely. Take the new job as a shove pushing you to sit tight and reapply.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:02 pm

So... The main question.. To submit or not to submit...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:15 pm

I think working for a year and reapplying would be best. With applications continuing to drop, your numbers (whatever they are) will likely be more competitive next year. Also, you can save up your earnings over the next 16 months to reduce your overall law school debt, and hell, you might even like the job and stay. Getting a 100% pay increase isn't something that happens every day, so enjoy it. If you have any part-time schools near you and can keep your job, you may want to look into that as well.

pketpket

New

Post by pketpket » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:33 pm

All the previous posts are not from other people in the current workforce.

I am actually in the exact same boat as you. I just got promoted at work and by the same boss that wrote my recommendation letters for law school. He knew full well I was planning on going to school in the Fall, but is working hard to keep me on. That is his priority to do. My priority is to do what I think is best for me. The only advice worth listening to is your own and those in your life that are important to you and maybe those like me in a similar situation. For me, I have wanted to go to law school since 2009, but have not been able to justify leaving my job because I make so much money. At this point I realize money is just not that important to me. I really believe in a specific cause and I need a law degree to pursue that goal in my life. I am married to someone who makes significantly more than I do so my situation is unique. For me I took the promotion, but am fully committed to becoming a lawyer and starting school, just not sure if I will do full-time or part-time as I have both options on the table. If my only option was full-time I would choose law school. In the real world you have to look out for yourself, because everyone else is doing the same thing. Take the promotion, definitely let the law school know because it shows you are a marketable employee and will be after law school as well. Just be sure to emphasize that despite the new job you are still fully committed to becoming a lawyer first and foremost. That is exactly the type of passion they are looking for and no one can fault you for wanting to pursue your passion. The only jerk move you could make is take the new job and not actually earn the pay you are getting. I plan to work my heart out and impress my boss so that three years from now employers interviewing me will hear from my former boss I was a dedicated hardworking employee.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:47 pm

I left a new promotion at the old job for this new job. My problem isn't the work dilemma. It's whether or not to submit his LOR to my held application at Northwestern, which noone has answered!!!

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:48 pm

I appreciate the life advice, but my question has not been answered. Throw the letter away or submit it to NU?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:55 pm

pketpket wrote:All the previous posts are not from other people in the current workforce.

I am actually in the exact same boat as you. I just got promoted at work and by the same boss that wrote my recommendation letters for law school. He knew full well I was planning on going to school in the Fall, but is working hard to keep me on. That is his priority to do. My priority is to do what I think is best for me. The only advice worth listening to is your own and those in your life that are important to you and maybe those like me in a similar situation. For me, I have wanted to go to law school since 2009, but have not been able to justify leaving my job because I make so much money. At this point I realize money is just not that important to me. I really believe in a specific cause and I need a law degree to pursue that goal in my life. I am married to someone who makes significantly more than I do so my situation is unique. For me I took the promotion, but am fully committed to becoming a lawyer and starting school, just not sure if I will do full-time or part-time as I have both options on the table. If my only option was full-time I would choose law school. In the real world you have to look out for yourself, because everyone else is doing the same thing. Take the promotion, definitely let the law school know because it shows you are a marketable employee and will be after law school as well. Just be sure to emphasize that despite the new job you are still fully committed to becoming a lawyer first and foremost. That is exactly the type of passion they are looking for and no one can fault you for wanting to pursue your passion. The only jerk move you could make is take the new job and not actually earn the pay you are getting. I plan to work my heart out and impress my boss so that three years from now employers interviewing me will hear from my former boss I was a dedicated hardworking employee.
1) I for one, am in the "current workforce". Assumptions are bad.

2) I didn't say going to law school this fall was the jerk move, I said accepting a new job and leaving in 5 months without telling them your plans (and I mean way more than two week's notice - OP has known about this for awhile) is unprofessional.

Other than that I agree with your sentiment. This situation totally can be done without stepping on any toes and could even earn the OP connections for the future. But the way to do that would be to tell your employer in your interview (if you haven't, tell them NOW).
luuma wrote:I appreciate the life advice, but my question has not been answered. Throw the letter away or submit it to NU?
In terms of the law schools, OP, you can update them if you like, but that's not gonna change anything plus or minus.

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:01 pm

Fiero85 wrote:2) I didn't say going to law school this fall was the jerk move, I said accepting a new job and leaving in 5 months without telling them your plans (and I mean way more than two week's notice - OP has known about this for awhile) is unprofessional.
I'm a year out of UG and going to LS this fall. During the cycle I never explicity told my employers that I was applying to law school, but I certainly never hid it. They know I've been accepted to several programs with generous scholarships and have asked me to keep them in the loop. What do you think is a good timeframe to let them know my final decision? I will resign either June 1 or June 30.

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:02 pm

HRomanus wrote:
Fiero85 wrote:2) I didn't say going to law school this fall was the jerk move, I said accepting a new job and leaving in 5 months without telling them your plans (and I mean way more than two week's notice - OP has known about this for awhile) is unprofessional.
I'm a year out of UG and going to LS this fall. During the cycle I never explicity told my employers that I was applying to law school, but I certainly never hid it. They know I've been accepted to several programs with generous scholarships and have asked me to keep them in the loop. What do you think is a good timeframe to let them know my final decision? I will resign either June 1 or June 30.

Is this a troll response? This is good. Good one.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:11 pm

HRomanus wrote:
If you've passively made them aware for awhile that helps. They said they want to be kept in the loop - so I would do just that - simply tell them within a few weeks of when you've made your legit final decision. If you already have, just bring it up whenerever is best soon. If I were you I would tell them around May 1 as a courtesy whether your last day is June 1 or 30.

If you don't know currently, make sure you tell them even more promptly when you do decide. If I decided any time after the first week of May or so, I would tell them within one or two business days and hold off on resigning until June 30. Or whatever two full weeks later is at a minimum if it takes you into June to decide.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:12 pm

luuma wrote:
HRomanus wrote:

Not sure why you think this is a troll...

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:22 pm

luuma wrote:
HRomanus wrote:

Did I miss something?
Fiero85 wrote:If you've passively made them aware for awhile that helps. They said they want to be kept in the loop - so I would do just that - simply tell them within a few weeks of when you've made your legit final decision. If you already have, just bring it up whenerever is best soon. If I were you I would tell them around May 1 as a courtesy whether your last day is June 1 or 30.

If you don't know currently, make sure you tell them even more promptly when you do decide. If I decided any time after the first week of May or so, I would tell them within one or two business days and hold off on resigning until June 30. Or whatever two full weeks later is at a minimum if it takes you into June to decide.
Thanks for the suggestions and perspective! We are in the midst of a fundraising campaign and youth recruitment and it's an unfortunate timeframe to have to resign during. I am most concerned with ensuring the positive relationships remain so that I can leverage references or networks as needed for 1L summer or later.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 pm

luuma wrote:Hi all,

I recently accepted a new job that almost doubles my salary in the midst of app waiting games. I haven't disclosed to my schools that I accepted a new job because I didnt want to ruin my longevity or have them think I'm not taking LS in the fall seriously. I've been held at NU and I told them about a promotion I accepted at the old job, which is true. I left after to assume a paralegal position (from an admin assistant). The LOR says that I no longer work there but is a very good letter. Would taking a new job 5 months before LS look bad for a held app? Also I wasn't sure if I'd get in anywhere and go so I took the job as back up for the be t. 1.5 years and figure worst case and I get to earn more.. Best case I get into a good school and quit in August or defer the admission a year to save more money.

Should I submit the letter along w an updated resume?

On my iPhone, I apologize for any typos in advance!
No. Why would a law school want you to be unemployed for nearly half a year before matriculation? However, I am not sure why you would tell them where you a currently working. Is there a spot on the application where they asked for a current employer and told you there was an ongoing duty to update it?

I guess you can update your resume, and that might flag your file for a second look. But, its not going to have any positive or negative effect on your application whatsoever.

I would be a lot more concerned with not pissing of your new employer. Especially if its in the industry, I would let them know that you are "thinking" about law school but aren't sure where you would go. Then give them 2-3 weeks notice.

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:58 pm

luuma wrote:I left a new promotion at the old job for this new job. My problem isn't the work dilemma. It's whether or not to submit his LOR to my held application at Northwestern, which noone has answered!!!
It's not clear to me whether you actually misrepresented your work situation in your applications or simply haven't updated your file after making a subsequent change. If you submitted a resume or filled out the work experience section of your apps dishonestly, that's a whole different issue than if you're just unsure about letting the school know that you've made a change.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

luuma

Bronze

Post by luuma » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:18 am

TLSanders wrote:
luuma wrote:I left a new promotion at the old job for this new job. My problem isn't the work dilemma. It's whether or not to submit his LOR to my held application at Northwestern, which noone has answered!!!
It's not clear to me whether you actually misrepresented your work situation in your applications or simply haven't updated your file after making a subsequent change. If you submitted a resume or filled out the work experience section of your apps dishonestly, that's a whole different issue than if you're just unsure about letting the school know that you've made a change.
False assumption. I never lied on my application. I simply have not updated them yet. But wow, not a soul actually responded "yes or no it's not advisable to submit the letter". Deleting my post. Rescinding the question.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:29 am

luuma wrote:
TLSanders wrote:
False assumption. I never lied on my application. I simply have not updated them yet. But wow, not a soul actually responded "yes or no it's not advisable to submit the letter". Deleting my post. Rescinding the question.

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:27 am

luuma wrote:
TLSanders wrote:
I guess you don't know what "assumption" means. That will be troublesome for you in law school. If I had decided on my own, without evidence, that you'd lied, that would have been an assumption. Since I didn't know and recognized that I didn't know, I asked. That's the opposite of an assumption. This is going to be a very critical concept for you moving forward.

I wanted that information in order to offer you an informed response, but something about people responding with hostility when I'm offering to give away expertise I'm usually paid $150/hour for makes me disinclined to volunteer.

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:59 am

OP you had your question answered twice...

Articulated best here:
SemperLegal wrote: ...its not going to have any positive or negative effect on your application whatsoever.

I would be a lot more concerned with not pissing of your new employer. Especially if its in the industry, I would let them know that you are "thinking" about law school but aren't sure where you would go. Then give them 2-3 weeks notice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:58 pm

What a petulant OP. Nobody is going to care about the stupid LOR either way, but the fact that someone is this bad at communicating is actually significant.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:12 pm

TLSanders wrote:
luuma wrote:
TLSanders wrote:
I guess you don't know what "assumption" means. That will be troublesome for you in law school. If I had decided on my own, without evidence, that you'd lied, that would have been an assumption. Since I didn't know and recognized that I didn't know, I asked. That's the opposite of an assumption. This is going to be a very critical concept for you moving forward.

I wanted that information in order to offer you an informed response, but something about people responding with hostility when I'm offering to give away expertise I'm usually paid $150/hour for makes me disinclined to volunteer.
Calm down.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”