Help! Please Advise!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
coffeeandtoast

Help! Please Advise!

Postby coffeeandtoast » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:54 pm

So for the Conduct Information section of applications, it says "affirmative answers to any questions do not necessarily preclude or prejudice admissions to the school of law", but I have a box to check yes on, explain (i.e. a couple felonies) and would like to know just how much does a bad conduct record influence your admissions decisions if at all or if anyone knows of people who still get into to good law schools with these poor undergraduate student conduct records (i.e. underage drinking in dorms, possession of controlled substance, sexual assault, academic dishonesty, ect.)?

We all make poor choices in college, and the only other option is to wait 7 years for the record to be destroyed! :cry:

Thanks to all in advanced!

Cicero76

Re: Help! Please Advise!

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:01 pm

coffeeandtoast wrote:So for the Conduct Information section of applications, it says "affirmative answers to any questions do not necessarily preclude or prejudice admissions to the school of law", but I have a box to check yes on, explain (i.e. a couple felonies) and would like to know just how much does a bad conduct record influence your admissions decisions if at all or if anyone knows of people who still get into to good law schools with these poor undergraduate student conduct records (i.e. underage drinking in dorms, possession of controlled substance, sexual assault, academic dishonesty, ect.)?

We all make poor choices in college, and the only other option is to wait 7 years for the record to be destroyed! :cry:

We don't "all" try to go to law school with multiple felonies, drugs, sexual assault, and academic dishonesty on our records.

If not a flame, please don't go to law school. If a flame, 150. Do better next time.

transferror

Postby transferror » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:06 pm

coffeeandtoast wrote:(i.e. underage drinking in dorms, possession of controlled substance, sexual assault, academic dishonesty, ect.)?

Ha, those are very different things. You should probably temper expectations if you're the sexual assault guy, but have nothing to worry about if you're the "caught me with weed" or "MIP at the dorms" guy.

7 years to be destroyed? Sounds to me like you fall in the academic dishonesty column rather than the rapist johnny column, since felony records don't ever go away and academic misconduct would only be on file for about that long. Accurate?

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SFrost

Postby SFrost » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 pm

A lot of people actually don't make that many poor choices in college.

You're an adult in college, just so you know. I'd say you start being responsible for sexual assault at the latest by middle school.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Go talk to a lawyer to see if you can even get barred in the states you want to work in

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:54 pm

coffeeandtoast wrote:So for the Conduct Information section of applications, it says "affirmative answers to any questions do not necessarily preclude or prejudice admissions to the school of law", but I have a box to check yes on, explain (i.e. a couple felonies) and would like to know just how much does a bad conduct record influence your admissions decisions if at all or if anyone knows of people who still get into to good law schools with these poor undergraduate student conduct records (i.e. underage drinking in dorms, possession of controlled substance, sexual assault, academic dishonesty, ect.)?

and you want to be a lawyer......why?

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Postby n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:52 pm

I guarantee that some school would accept you, but the correct play is definitely to talk to a lawyer to see if you can pass your state's C+F.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”