ADVICE - Please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Newb2law

New

ADVICE - Please

Post by Newb2law » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:54 pm

I need to send out a scholarship negotiation email to a school that I want to bump up my scholarship from 30k to full tuition I am above both their 75th LSAT and 75th GPA... I got full tuition scholarships from 2 schools that are ranked about 30 pts above it in the USNWR, but they are in different states than this one..

for the state that this school is in, l got full rides from 3 TTT schools.. not sure if l should mention that?

what do you guys think? I also got a scholarship for 33k from a school that is in the same state and ranked 25 pts above this school, as well as a scholarship for 37k from a school from another state as well, thats ranked about 12 pts higher...

I'm just not sure of what schools to include...?? I would love your input. Thank you. Sorry if this was confusing.
Last edited by Newb2law on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Re: advice please

Post by Nova » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Will you attend if you get the full ride?

If so, tell them that. Tell em its your top choice but you still need to financially justify attending.

lay all your cards on the table too, imo. Tell them all your offers.

Newb2law

New

Re: advice please

Post by Newb2law » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:01 pm

Nova wrote:Will you attend if you get the full ride?

If so, tell them that. Tell em its your top choice but you still need to financially justify attending.

lay all your cards on the table too, imo. Tell them all your offers.
Hi Nova,
Thank you. Yes l honestly would attend this school if they gave me a full ride. Should I say that? I'm just debating if I should only tell them about the full scholarship offers, or if I should tell them about the offers that are only 3k-5k more than theirs.
I was thinking to start off with 2/3 sentences about why I want to go to their school, and why I like their school. Then say, - however bcz of my financial situation scholarships make a big difference in my decision, and tell them l attached offers from others schools and that if they give me a full ride i will make my first seat deposit immediately..

Newb2law

New

Re: ADVICE - Please

Post by Newb2law » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:26 pm

It looks like there are only about 3 other people browsing this forum, but if any one has any advice please let me know... I'm especially torn on whether I should include the full tuition scholarships from the TTT's in my state.. (I also got a couple from out of state but I don't even think I should include those)

thank you

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:42 pm

Newb2law wrote:I need to send out a scholarship negotiation email to a school that I want to bump up my scholarship from 30k to full tuition I am above both their 75th LSAT and 75th GPA... I got full tuition scholarships from 2 schools that are ranked about 30 pts above it in the USNWR, but they are in different states than this one..

for the state that this school is in, l got full rides from 3 TTT schools.. not sure if l should mention that?

what do you guys think? I also got a scholarship for 33k from a school that is in the same state and ranked 25 pts above this school, as well as a scholarship for 37k from a school from another state as well, thats ranked about 12 pts higher...

I'm just not sure of what schools to include...?? I would love your input. Thank you. Sorry if this was confusing.

This was confusing. Make sure you're more clear in your negotiation e-mail. That being said, I would tell them that a) school X is your top choice but b) you can not justify attending when you have full tuition scholarships to schools Y and Z.

Ideally, schools Y and Z will be peer schools or better that compete in the same general region as school X (for example, Wisconsin could be a good school to play off vs Illinois, or vice versa.) It's really tough to say which offers you should use without knowing what schools you're talking about. I don't think you need to restrict yourself to only using schools in the same state.

Finally, retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Newb2law

New

Post by Newb2law » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:45 pm

AfghanTourist wrote:
Newb2law wrote:I need to send out a scholarship negotiation email to a school that I want to bump up my scholarship from 30k to full tuition I am above both their 75th LSAT and 75th GPA... I got full tuition scholarships from 2 schools that are ranked about 30 pts above it in the USNWR, but they are in different states than this one..

This was confusing. Make sure you're more clear in your negotiation e-mail. That being said, I would tell them that a) school X is your top choice but b) you can not justify attending when you have full tuition scholarships to schools Y and Z.

Ideally, schools Y and Z will be peer schools or better that compete in the same general region as school X (for example, Wisconsin could be a good school to play off vs Illinois, or vice versa.) It's really tough to say which offers you should use without knowing what schools you're talking about.

Finally, retake.
Thank you AfghanTourist,

That's the issue, the school I am trying to negotiate with is on the east coast, while the schools I have offers from are on the west coast/california.

Do you think I should also include the full tuition offers from TTT schools?

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:03 am

Newb2law wrote:
AfghanTourist wrote:

Ideally, schools Y and Z will be peer schools or better that compete in the same general region as school X (for example, Wisconsin could be a good school to play off vs Illinois, or vice versa.) It's really tough to say which offers you should use without knowing what schools you're talking about.

Finally, retake.
Thank you AfghanTourist,

That's the issue, the school I am trying to negotiate with is on the east coast, while the schools I have offers from are on the west coast/california.

Do you think I should also include the full tuition offers from TTT schools?

That's tricky. Again, it would really help to know specifics. BC is probably not going to give you a full ride because you tell them you have a full-ride offer from Suffolk. It seems like it would be better to talk about a school in their peer group, even if it's on the other side of the country. Maybe mention one of each: though your school is my top choice, I cannot justify going into $$ debt when I have been offered full tuition scholarships from (west coast peer) and (east coast TTT).

At the end of the day, you have to take your best shot. You know what your offers are, select your two best (any more seems redundant to me) and show your cards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”