Decent local school w/$$ or retake Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MegamanX2

New

Decent local school w/$$ or retake

Post by MegamanX2 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:57 pm

I am from Portland, OR, married, and want to stay here if possible. 2 years in politics here with significant connections to the legal community. Here are my options:

Lewis & Clark (80% scholarship) - not highly ranked, but the highest in OR, and well respected in Portland.
University of Washington (still waiting on $$) - highest ranked school in the NW
UCLA, no $$ - not doing this

I am 3.9/165. A few years ago I would be a snap-retake with dreams of a t10, but things change. I'd like to stay in the NW, and even getting into a t10 with a retake would mean uprooting my wife's career path a little bit (she's open to it, but there is a big cost there). I'm also 28 and eager to get started this year.

So I'm heavily leaning toward taking the $$ at LC and doing well there + using connections to get a clerkship / mid-sized firm job in PDX.

Any TLSers with a similar choice out there? Anyone else take the $$ over retaking & waiting a year? I think I've mostly made up my mind but want to hear peoples' thoughts before I make the final call.

Thanks!

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Decent local school w/$$ or retake

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:08 pm

I agree that UCLA at sticker is a bad choice.

UW might be an ok option if you get good money.
How strong are your connections, could you get a job through them if you were median or below at L&C? Did you get accepted anywhere else? If so try to negotiate with L&C for a better scholarship. Will your wife's job cover living expenses? How much would you take out in loans to attend L&C with 80% scholarship?

Rad has a good point, you may need to rethink your goals.

MegamanX2

New

Post by MegamanX2 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks for the responses!

Still waiting on UW $$, not expecting more than 80% from them though, and COL is higher in Seattle.

I wouldn't expect a great job at median or below at LC, but I would expect a job if I am top 25%, and a good job if I am top 10%. I am confident I can be in that range, and to be honest, if I'm not my first semester, I might just cut my losses and go back into politics.

Thought about negotiating for more at LC, but not sure how to do that when they're offering 80% already. Got into a much lower ranked school in OR with a full ride, but I've heard LC doesn't care much about that. Any advice negotiating an 80% offer up to 100% would be much appreciated.

To clarify my career goals: I am open to other options as well - smaller firms, lobbying, etc. Mid-size firm / clerkship is what I would aim for though, and think I could get assuming I do well.

MegamanX2

New

Post by MegamanX2 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Wife's job won't cover all living expenses, but it helps quite a bit and she has some opportunities for significantly increased income if we stay here.

Last question was loans - The 80% at LC would allow me to make it out at just around 50k including living expenses.

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:27 pm

I think it's ridiculous to think someone has to rethink their goals if their main goal is achieved by ~20% of people in their current position. A Goal isn't meant to be a sure-thing! It's meant to be something to be reached for, to work one's butt off day in and day out in order to achieve. It's smart to brace yourself for the possibility that you might not reach the goal in the end, but you should never have to rethink or change your goals simply because the odds are not in your favor. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”