Northwestern at full price v. Full Ride at Pitt Law

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Re: Northwestern at full price v. Full Ride at Pitt Law

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Thanks for posting the examples, sparty, those are really helpful.

jkhalfa

Postby jkhalfa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Mauve.Dino wrote:Enjoy Pittsburgh. Seriously--awesome city :)

As a current Pitt student (UG), I take issue with this. Pittsburgh fucking sucks.

janetdoe

Postby janetdoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:03 am

Rayuela wrote:
Big Dog wrote:Let's not assume that you have been awarded any money from NULS until you have.

Unless you want to live in Pitt permanently, retake is the only option between these two.

I just received word from Northwestern that I received $15,000 a year guaranteed, with no conditions on grades. I was expecting less so I’m happy, but the $200K debt still intimidates me. Career-wise, I would love to be doing appellate work at a firm or in the government (less likely) some day, and if I went to Northwestern I have a much better chance of attaining a clerkship to put me on that track. That said, I also have a chance of neither obtaining a clerkship nor getting a BigLaw job after graduating Northwestern, in the worst case scenario in which I perform poorly. I’m confident I’ll do well there but I have to confront the possibility that I won’t.

At Pitt I would have fewer job options, and almost no chance at a clerkship. But I could also be a competitive applicant for local firms/government work which I would find interesting. High performing students at regional schools do cool things. And I would have zero debt, or close to zero relative to NW.

Here are my stats: I’m five years out of law school and work in a law-related profession.

GPA: 3.75 (+ PBK)
LSAT: ‘09: 164
‘13: 165
‘14: 163

Here is something I just posted in response to a few peeps (different post) who wanted to know more about NU and had some questions about the business culture. In case this may matter to you/you want to know about the environment/student body/COL, here you go.

Btw, there is something very important you should know before enrolling at NU. Whichever school you go to, whether it be Pitt, NU, Harvard, blablablabla, the very best students are the ones getting the Federal Appellate Clerkships. This does not mean >25% makes the cut. The current students I know right now at NU and UofC law school who have been selected for those positions are in the top 10% of their class (at NU, this currently means GPA > 3.85), and they have received the elusive A+s in various classes (usually awarded to 1-2 students. means they were the best in that class). I am not saying that you or anyone on these forums cannot do this. Perhaps you all can. It's just something to think about. Currently, a few of my friends are working for judges, and literally there are 800 people applying for 1 position. If you are the shiznit, then I say don't worry about debt and just go to the best school you can.

I think it's very important to clarify that just going to NU alone will NOT increase your chances of getting one. Just want to clear this up. Btw, a friend is working for a very important judge in Illinois, and one of his clerks did not go to a fancy school. He went to a school on the level of Pitt, but he was one of the best students there. Another friend working for a judge was there when all the clerks were sworn in. Not all went to fancy schools, BUT what they all shared in common were that they were the best students at their schools. If you are curious, schools represented ranged from schools like DePaul, UofI, (will insert more later, can't remember now), all the way to Northwestern, UofC, Harvard, Yale, etc.

-----------------

Anyway, here's the info I posted about NU law school. It was in response to individuals interested in NU but wanted to go public interest.

Most of my Chitown law friends are currently attending or have graduated from NU or UofC. I am well acquainted with both schools. NU is heavily business-oriented; UofC is very academic. NU is an "older" law school. Most of their applications are much more than 2 years removed from school; that is, they've had a career. I believe the average age at NU is ~28. 2-3 years ago, only 2-3% of their applicants were KJD. Of the small # of KJD applicants admitted in that cycle, 1's dad is the former CEO of Disney; the other's parents were one of the families that started another recognizable company. Now, however, I think we will see the avg age go down a little, as all the law schools will struggle to keep their numbers up despite a shrinking applicant pool.

Note, this does not mean most of their applicants went and worked as investment bankers, consultants, etc. To the contrary, a large portion of their admitted class worked for nonprofits or test prep companies. One current 2L is a former NHL hockey player. WE runs the gamut. Age is more important to this school than others. So, I would say at NU it's actually AGE > WE; they want maturity, and NU is very specific about this.

I feel that a strong aspect demonstrating NU's no-nonsense attitude is their application process/numbers game. They're very splitter friendly, and numbers are very important to them. One current student had a 178 and a 2.5 GPA. You may say someone with those numbers would of course get into some T14 schools, but many prefer a more "well-rounded" applicant. The fact that NU has historically taken many of these kinds of applicants is somewhat telling to their process and vision. They're a no-nonsense school that cares a lot about numbers. While PS may matter more at other schools, I get the strong feeling while it may matter somewhat at NU, perhaps not as much. That does not necessarily mean that they have no interest in public interest, though. It is a strong school with an even stronger business school, and it often attracts a certain kind of applicant.

Also, this may or may not help fill out more of a picture for you: most of my friends at NU and UofC are all in the top 10% of their classes. none of them (including those that are <10% but >25%) will be going into public interest. They're all going into BigLaw or Federal Appellate Clerkships. That being said, I don't think going to NU and doing well there would hurt anyone's chances of going into public interest. Hope this helps.

If I may add one more thing: be prepared for very expensive cost of living near NU. The avg 1 bedroom apt within walking distance is $1700. Many students have studios. One student lives in a studio, and it costs $2200/month. It's across the street from the $1700/month one. Both are 4 blocks from school. The groceries are not cheap, either. They're definitely more expensive that NYC groceries. It also doesn't help that most nearby grocery stores are all organic/european-y type stores. (note that most students afford this type of expensive ass city living because they worked for many years and have saved some money. that does not mean anyone likes it lol).

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:16 am

janetdoe wrote:Most of my Chitown law friends are currently attending or have graduated from NU or UofC. I am well acquainted with both schools. NU is heavily business-oriented; UofC is very academic. NU is an "older" law school. Most of their applications are much more than 2 years removed from school; that is, they've had a career. I believe the average age at NU is ~28. 2-3 years ago, only 2-3% of their applicants were KJD.

This isn't true anymore. The avg. age of their incoming class for c/o 2013 was 25, which is basically the same as every other T14. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ofile.html

Mauve.Dino

Postby Mauve.Dino » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 am

jkhalfa wrote:

As a current Pitt student (UG), I take issue with this. Pittsburgh fucking sucks.

Pittsburgh is the greatest! They put fries on their sandwiches, for God's sake! #FeelTheLove

janetdoe

Postby janetdoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:31 am

Nelson wrote:
janetdoe wrote:Most of my Chitown law friends are currently attending or have graduated from NU or UofC. I am well acquainted with both schools. NU is heavily business-oriented; UofC is very academic. NU is an "older" law school. Most of their applications are much more than 2 years removed from school; that is, they've had a career. I believe the average age at NU is ~28. 2-3 years ago, only 2-3% of their applicants were KJD.

This isn't true anymore. The avg. age of their incoming class for c/o 2013 was 25, which is basically the same as every other T14. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ofile.html

As stated, expect their age numbers to go further down in struggles to keep their numbers high. Nevertheless, I mention what the school has historically preferred and why.

JMC562

Postby JMC562 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:27 pm

jkhalfa wrote:

No idea what you are talking about. I have lived in many cities in my life (I'm 24) and Pittsburgh is one of the nicest.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”