USNWR Rankings 2016 Predictions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dwil770

Gold

Re: USNWR Rankings 2016 Predictions

Post by dwil770 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:40 pm

kaiser wrote:
dwil770 wrote:
kaiser wrote:The sub tier thing is silly even by TLS standards. Who cares whether Penn is more like the schools just above or just below it. Imagine going around asking someone if the number 7 was closer to 6 or closer to 8.
I asked a few questions in a broad topic and people fixated on the positioning of the letter p, so to answer "who cares?": you, me, and most people here
Because there is nothing else to talk about on the topic. Everyone knows HYS are sort of a holy trinity as far as law schools go. Everyone knows that Columbia and Chicago are very close together, with NYU just a tad behind in most employment stats. Literally the only place anyone is ever confused is whether P is "more like" the schools above it or the schools below it (a point I already noted was beyond silly and narrow).

Oh so you think HYS CC N P?

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:42 pm

This is worse than posting a two-page-OP skype interview tips thread.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:46 pm

EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:21 pm

rpupkin wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
goldeneye wrote:With the Sandusky debacle now in the past, I see Penn moving up to join CCN
I don't know. Penn was not on the same level as CCN even before Sandusky got himself some in the locker room. I can't see that changing.
You might be right but their reputation really took a hit once that news broke. I saw recently that Paterno family is still going after the school and I can't imagine that will help the school.
2011 called. It wants its worn out "pretend to confuse U Penn with Penn State" trolling back.
Since when are there TWO Penns?!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:22 pm

dwil770 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
dwil770 wrote:
kaiser wrote:The sub tier thing is silly even by TLS standards. Who cares whether Penn is more like the schools just above or just below it. Imagine going around asking someone if the number 7 was closer to 6 or closer to 8.
I asked a few questions in a broad topic and people fixated on the positioning of the letter p, so to answer "who cares?": you, me, and most people here
Because there is nothing else to talk about on the topic. Everyone knows HYS are sort of a holy trinity as far as law schools go. Everyone knows that Columbia and Chicago are very close together, with NYU just a tad behind in most employment stats. Literally the only place anyone is ever confused is whether P is "more like" the schools above it or the schools below it (a point I already noted was beyond silly and narrow).

Oh so you think HYS CC N P?
I think that's sensible. For now. But have you seen the internal numbers of the most recent USWNR rankings? The trends look bad for Penn. If things stay on the current trajectory, Penn will be struggling to stay above Duke by 2017. When all is said and done, the long-term sub-tiers will likely look as follows:

HY
SC
C
NBV
M
PDN
GC
Last edited by rpupkin on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Do they really count law school funded jobs?? if yes expect everyone to hire their unemployed grads..

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:27 pm

rpupkin wrote: I think that's sensible. For now. But have you seen the internal numbers of the most recent USWNR rankings? The trends look bad for Penn. If things stay on the current trajectory, Penn will be struggling to stay above Duke by 2017. When all is said and done, the long-term sub-tiers will likely look as follows:

HY
SC
C
NBV
M
PDN
GC
I'm going to need clarification on your second "C."

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
rpupkin wrote: I think that's sensible. For now. But have you seen the internal numbers of the most recent USWNR rankings? The trends look bad for Penn. If things stay on the current trajectory, Penn will be struggling to stay above Duke by 2017. When all is said and done, the long-term sub-tiers will likely look as follows:

HY
SC
C
NBV
M
PDN
GC
Columbia. Although CLS is hanging tough, it's about to slip relative to Chicago, which is becoming the Palo Alto of the Midwest. At the same time, CLS is putting distance between itself and the other "T6" school in NYC.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:32 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

HY
SC
C
NBV
M
PDN
GC
Columbia. Although CLS is hanging tough, it's about to slip relative to Chicago, which is becoming the Palo Alto of the Midwest. At the same time, CLS is putting distance between itself and the other "T6" school in NYC.
Based on what stats? The NLJ Go to Schools List?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:34 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
goldeneye wrote:With the Sandusky debacle now in the past, I see Penn moving up to join CCN
I don't know. Penn was not on the same level as CCN even before Sandusky got himself some in the locker room. I can't see that changing.
Haha, you're thinking of Penn State which is a public school, whereas the University of Pennsylvania or "Penn" is actually an Ivy League university.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:40 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

HY
SC
C
NBV
M
PDN
GC
Did someone say something about Chicago droves?

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:45 pm

Cooley's rank will skyrocket and Detroit Mercy will crack the t-14 for sure - prepare yourselves the masses will be flocking in droves - DROVES I TELL YOU!

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:23 pm

rpupkin wrote:2011 called. It wants its worn out "pretend to confuse U Penn with Penn State" trolling back.
:lol:

Also. I think the burning question here is: if NW/Cor/Gtown tied, would it be called the T12 instead of the T13?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 pm

james.bungles wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Haha, you're thinking of Penn State which is a public school, whereas the University of Pennsylvania or "Penn" is actually an Ivy League university.
What? I knew what I was saying. Penn had Sandusky as a football coach and he got into major trouble. The university got majorly sanctioned. You're mistaken.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:01 pm

goldeneye wrote:
james.bungles wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
What? I knew what I was saying. Penn had Sandusky as a football coach and he got into major trouble. The university got majorly sanctioned. You're mistaken.
I swear to god I'm going to ban the next person who either makes or falls for a Penn = Penn State joke.

okay, I won't, but maybe you all should avoid tempting me

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 pm

:lol: :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:18 am

There are very few funny TLS memes. Penn/Penn State is not one of those select few.

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:25 am

1. yale
2. hartford
3. samford
4. colombia
5. chicago-kent
6. NYLS
7. penn
8. uva
9. duke
10. cal state
11. northeastern
12. michigan state
13. cornell
13. grambling university law center
15. texas
16. vanderbilt
16. penn state
18. loyla-ucla
19. emory
19. george mason
21. university of washington
22. usc-columbia

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:58 am

Last edited by Kimikho on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:01 am

scoobers wrote:This is worse than posting a two-page-OP skype interview tips thread.
Hahahahaa that's funny because you did that! It's so self aware!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ThinkNegative

New

Post by ThinkNegative » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:41 am

HY
SC
C
What are these US news internals that lead you to put S below HY and with (either) C? Not flame, interested how S dropped after raising our lsat median higher, and also this kinda stuff.

Yale - Stanford - Harvard - Chi -CLS
82.0 — 91.2 — 87.1 — 94.9 — 93.4 — Employment Score
4.5 — 3.3 — 4.6 — 3.3 — 1.9 — Under-Employment Score
34.7 — 28.2 — 17.8 — 14.4 — 7.9 — Fed clerkships
9.5 — 2.2 — 3.2 — 7.9 — 8.1 — School funded

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:59 am

rpupkin wrote:
aboutmydaylight wrote:I think we've reached a point of USNWR ranking stability.
That point was reached the first year USNWR ranked law schools. In fact, it was reached even before then. Here are the results of the Blau-Margulies Reputational Rankings, which surveyed 104 law school deans. This is from 1974:

1. Harvard Law School
2. Yale Law School
3. University of Michigan Law School
4. Columbia Law School
5. University of Chicago Law School
6. Stanford Law School
7. University of California, Berkeley Boalt Hall School of Law
8. New York University School of Law
9. University of Pennsylvania Law School
10. University of Virginia School of Law

It's the same 10 schools that make up the current USNWR top 10. This is from 40 years ago, and nearly 20 years before USNWR started regularly ranking the law schools. Nothing really changes.
Wow. Awesome post. The decline of Michigan was dramatic, to say the least. Columbia and Chicago have pretty much always been peer schools. Stanford and NYU rose to the top steadily.

Based on what I've seen from the past rankings since 1987, I think YHS and CCN will keep their top 6 spots without any meaningful change for the next decade. Membership of t14 won't change.

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:18 am

SLS_AMG wrote:
aboutmydaylight wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
aboutmydaylight wrote:I think we've reached a point of USNWR ranking stability.
That point was reached the first year USNWR ranked law schools. In fact, it was reached even before then. Here are the results of the Blau-Margulies Reputational Rankings, which surveyed 104 law school deans. This is from 1974:

1. Harvard Law School
2. Yale Law School
3. University of Michigan Law School
4. Columbia Law School
5. University of Chicago Law School
6. Stanford Law School
7. University of California, Berkeley Boalt Hall School of Law
8. New York University School of Law
9. University of Pennsylvania Law School
10. University of Virginia School of Law

It's the same 10 schools that make up the current USNWR top 10. This is from 40 years ago, and nearly 20 years before USNWR started regularly ranking the law schools. Nothing really changes.
They've shifted a lot though. My point is there likely won't be any permanent change among the "sub-tiers" any time soon.
I just don't get why 0Ls get so obsessed over this "sub-tier" BS. There is literally not a single hiring partner in the world who would know what the hell "CCN" or "MVPB" means.
'
How do you know? All these "employers don't look at rankings" lack credibility. I recall Mike Spivey said that they do occasionally look at rankings. Plus employers obviously know what the top schools are. http://www.wlrk.com/summerassociates/

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:24 am

I predict that after next years rankings USNWR will go out of business, leaving future students scrounging for some other list to obsess over.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”