Full scholarships in the ABA 509s Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Silver

Re: Full scholarships in the ABA 509s

Post by BillsFan9907 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:27 pm

They were offered half at wustl. When they didnt respond they were given full.
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Re: Talk me out of attending WUSTL on full scholarship

Post by sublime » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:57 pm

I have no problem with the deadline. They got an infusion of cash so they splashed some to see if people who had withdrawn would re-consider. Only those who had withdrawn got the deadline. When they refused the money was re-distributed to those who hadn't withdrawn.

As to the interview. They should be selling it. Balancing employment outcomes versus cost is what applying to law school is all about. The "oh the quality of our library, our distinguished faculty, our blah blah blah." Is all nonsense, all that matters is job placement and cost.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:57 pm

sublime wrote:
Seoulless wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2013/06/law-scho ... es-tactic/

Apparently, last year WUSTL tried using hard-sell tactics by enticing holdouts with half scholarships to attend with full scholarships. They were given a 24 hour deadline.

This is the kind of shit that makes me nervous about WUSTL.

Thoughts?

I couldn't believe that they wanted to place conditions on their 150k.

I'm jk, I took one and had withdrawn, and didn't mind it. Although most who took the offer were people who were already pretty set on attending (already did both deposits and committed) so for them it was just kinda extra money.
Yeah, this. I just got a random email in the middle of June informing me that Wustl had given me another 55k. I was already totally committed and screamed like I won the lottery, you know, because I did.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Considering cost, geography, and jobs, either full tuition WUSTL is the best choice for you, or it isn't. Being offended isn't a luxury you can afford ITE. If you don't like the deal, then don't take it. It works for some.

It's a numbers game for them and it should be for you, too. I don't really understand the moralizing ITT - the LS game is far too deep down the rabbit hole for these concerns, imho.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:51 am

Seoulless wrote:
Unagi wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Seoulless wrote:It looks like only 5 students matriculated with a fullride according to the ABA 509. I guess this is an indication of the general thought process of those with my scores: it's not worth it to accept? Obviously, they didn't only offer 5 such scholarships.

Thoughts?
Those numbers are from the previous academic year, which I'm guessing means the current 2Ls. I personally know of at least a dozen students with full rides, and I haven't looked that hard. Plenty of people with great numbers were bought and paid for last year.
I think maybe the issue is what is considered a full ride. If you think at a full scholarship for all 3 years, then yes, maybe we only had 5 matriculated students.
What WUSTL does a lot is offer you a scholarship equivalent to that year's tuition for your 3 years. Technically that's not a full ride because tuition increases every year, so you could have to pay 2k in your 2L and 4k in your 3L, for example. I know way more than 5 students that had "full rides" for their first year and had to pay something for 2L and 3L. I'm one of them and don't regret my decision. Going to graduate debt free and am heading to a V50 this summer. Turned out to be a good bet for me.
Is it possible to negotiate a true full tuition scholarship? What is V50?
can't tell if stupid or troll

speaking of stupid i have no idea how to imbed pics.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”