Deleted Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
R. Jeeves

Gold

Deleted

Post by R. Jeeves » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Last edited by R. Jeeves on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Gold

Re: Engineers and HLS admissions

Post by patogordo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:49 pm

sounds like fluff that i wouldn't worry about

but what are you gonna do at this point anyway?

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Their stated view would go against engineering degrees since it is all by definition a single area.

but really they can't care much because they don't know how hard or easy the NC State Nuclear Engineering degree is. Maybe people at NC State know the difference, but it's too much to account for. I doubt you get a whole lot of, for example, 3.8 Chemical Engineers applying to law school anyway because they are already getting baller jobs right out of undergrad.

hibye

New

Post by hibye » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:22 pm

It hasn't affected my cycle, as far as I know! I've gotten into HYS, and I pretty much only took science and math classes in college, though my activities outside the classroom were more relevant to law.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:53 am

pulstar1 wrote:Heard from another engineer that this could be something to be wary of. Is he right?

From the HLS JD admissions FAQ page:

What is the best "pre-law" curriculum? How does one prepare for law school?
The Harvard Law School faculty prescribes no fixed requirements with respect to the content of pre-legal education. The nature of candidates' college work, as well as the quality of academic performance, is taken into account in the selection process. As preparation for law school, a broad college education is usually preferable to one that is narrowly specialized. The Admissions Committee looks for a showing of thorough learning in a field of your choice, such as history, economics, government, philosophy, mathematics, science, literature or the classics (and many others), rather than a concentration in courses given primarily as vocational training. The Admissions Committee considers that those programs approaching their subjects on a more theoretical level, with attention to educational breadth, are better preparatory training for the legal profession than those emphasizing the practical.

Me:

School - North Carolina State University

Major - Nuclear Engineering
Minor - Political Science

GPA - 3.82
LSAT - 172

Will what HLS has to say about majors play much of a role when they consider my application?

Also, are there any T-14 schools in which my choice of major could work to my advantage?
sounds like you might be patent eligable (someone correct me if i'm wrong), which would be a pretty big plus for your career prospects.

very few t14s are going to say no to those stats. HLS might be one of them though.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:20 am

Engineering is an exception to the HLS statement on pre-law. There are plenty of engineering people at HLS. I think they are talking about physical therapy, early childhood education, nursing, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”