A Guide to Being Ridiculously, Ridiculously Good Looking Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kimikho

Gold

A Guide to Being Ridiculously, Ridiculously Good Looking

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:49 am

Last edited by Kimikho on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Re: A Guide to Being Ridiculously, Ridiculously Good Looking

Post by Marshmallow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:48 am

i don't get why this doesn't have, like, a hundred posts yet. bumping this back to the first page cause it's AMAZING!

btw, i did everything wrong. except put my hair half up. prettttty pleased with that. :D

FluffMonster

Gold

Post by FluffMonster » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:02 pm

I'm already ridiculously good looking, but I want to be ridiculously, ridiculously good looking. The goal is to be accepted before the questions start. :wink:

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Scoobs, wtf is this?

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 pm

pics or gtfo....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:15 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:pics or gtfo....

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

I'm ridiculously, ridiculously good looking. I'm also an excellent yagoogalizer.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:Scoobs, wtf is this?
This is GOLD, ohpo. Gold.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 pm

This is a guide to being ridiculously, ridiculously good looking [on Skype]

But obviously you don't need it ;)

ETA: But I made it shorter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angels2fly

Bronze

Post by angels2fly » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:56 pm

lets get this stickied

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:04 pm

<3 watt's up

is it ok if i wear my fav red lippy and do caviar nails
Last edited by wealtheow on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:06 pm

paging ratfukr

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:07 pm

angels2fly wrote:lets get this stickied
:lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:11 pm

seriously, this is actually really helpful. i didn't even think about the color of my clothes. i'm a heather-gray girl, usually... so perhaps i'll have to branch out, maybe even wear *cringe* red...

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:13 pm

scoobers wrote:
This is a guide to being ridiculously, ridiculously good looking [on Skype]

But obviously you don't need it ;)

ETA: But I made it shorter.
:P :P :P :oops:

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Scoobz, how about makeup tips for males? No lie, my SO put some on me last minute and i complained at first, thinking it would be noticeable, but then i saw my rediculously rediculous good looks (up to that point i was just rediculously good looking).

But then i got WL at chicago so maybe i was TOO good looking. 8)

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Balthy wrote:Scoobz, how about makeup tips for males? No lie, my SO put some on me last minute and i complained at first, thinking it would be noticeable, but then i saw my rediculously rediculous good looks (up to that point i was just rediculously good looking).

Outside of highlighter, I don't have many tips :/. But I know that Neprep wore some during his JS1 so....paging nep!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ambi-Turner

Bronze

Post by Ambi-Turner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:03 pm

scoobers wrote:
Balthy wrote:Scoobz, how about makeup tips for males? No lie, my SO put some on me last minute and i complained at first, thinking it would be noticeable, but then i saw my rediculously rediculous good looks (up to that point i was just rediculously good looking).

Outside of highlighter, I don't have many tips :/. But I know that Neprep wore some during his JS1 so....paging nep!
Foundation is good for both genders as a way to even out your skin tone, just make sure you're clean shaven prior to application!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:05 pm

gr9 post.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:31 pm

I clicked this thread while listening to Jenna Marbles' Bounce That Dick, which is appropriate considering the title of this thread and the YouTube video that put her on the map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9JFBYaZg4A

redbull12

Bronze

Post by redbull12 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:32 pm

lol @ this thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:56 pm

Ambi-Turner wrote: Foundation is good for both genders as a way to even out your skin tone, just make sure you're clean shaven prior to application!

Your tar is just perfect for this.

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

scoobers wrote:Having done five skype interviews this cycle, and several last year for internships, I figured I throw in my $0.02. For interview prep (questions, etc), see Regulus's thread.

All in all, none of this really matters. What matters is having an interview you blow out of the park. But looking your best on camera can make you feel more confident, and that will help you blow the interview out of the park. :D

Clothes:

What Types?
From what I've read, there are two trains of thought here:
1.) Full on professional-meeting-the-President-business-clothes
2.) Sweats and a button down 8)

I think it is all personal preference. Personally, I can be "stiff" in interviews, so I did mine with a nice shirt and yoga pants. I liked this because it let me sit cross-legged, and I just felt more comfortable. For some people, though, getting in full fancy wear can be helpful to put you in the right mindset.

What Colors?
Wear bright colors. Navy, brown, gray--they all look black on screen. I also would avoid white (it can be too harsh) and anything that blends into your skin tone (you don't want to be known as "that dude who may have done his JS1 shirtless"). If you have long, dark hair, the overall effect can be really drab. In addition to avoiding this issue, bright colors brighten up your face and make you look more alert.
On Skype, though, it's important to pay attention to what colors wash out your skin tone. Webcams can be really harsh, and the wrong colors can honestly make you look like a wax sculpture.

A nice, simple way to figure out your skin tone is to look at your veins under natural sunlight. In natural light, look at the veins in your wrist. If they are blue, you are cool, and if they are green, you are warm. If you can't really tell, then you are neutral.

Cool tones work well with these:

Warm tones work well with these:

Source for a lot of this

If you don't fit either of these categories, then you are lucky and are both. This may seem out of place on TLS, but trust me--if my friend wore a bright yellow shirt during her interview (like I did), she would have looked like she had jaundice.

Too confusing? When in doubt, wear red.

Hair:

Once you have thrown on a bright shirt, everything else becomes much easier. If you have long hair (especially if you have long, frizzy hair), I would suggest pulling it back slightly. If you don't, your face can look like it is swimming in hair, and the overall effect--especially if you have dark hair--ends up being similar to wearing dark clothes. I wouldn't suggest pulling it back in a tight bun, though, it could make you look too severe.

Face:

Makeup!

I think makeup goes a long way in Skype interviews. Video has a tendency to make us look very "flat" and washed out, and makeup--together with a nice, bright shirt--can really help that. Obviously, makeup is your own choice, but I would suggest three things (...for a genders, but obviously, it is optional).

1.) BB Cream/Concealer

2.) Highlighter - if you do one thing (looking at you, dudes), highlight! Seriously. It is so easy and it makes such a difference. All you need to do to highlight is buy a light-colored eyeshadow. I personally like a slightly-shimmery one, but if you are afraid to put shimmer on your face, you can skip that.
I used the free Benefit "Watt's Up!" I got from Sephora for their birthday gift this year--I would imagine that would fit most skin tones (since they gave it out for free and it is very neutral/transclucent), but it actually costs like $30 irl. A little eyeshadow thing will be like, $0.99, so go with that. Wet n' Wild makes really good, cheap makeup. Remember--you don't need the colors to last, this interview will only be like 15 minutes :).

Here's a perfect eyeshadow for highlighting from Wet n' Wild.

Here is a random picture from the internet with places I would suggest highlighting. All you do is put a little sweep of color over and blend it in. No one other than you should be able to see it. Unfortunately, I don't know what colors people with a different skin tone or color should use :(.

3.) Bronzer/blush

Lastly, sweep some blush over your cheekbones, and some bronzer in the hollows of your cheeks and up by your temples. Make sure it also matches your skin tone and blends in (when in doubt, google "Nars orgasm dupes," it supposedly looks good on everyone. Or if you have extra money, looking into buying it, then PM me for my address and send me the money).

Blush and bronzer will really help brighten your face up. Don't use too much!

If you actually know how to contour, Skype is a great place to do that. But I've seen people on Skype who don't realize how terrible their contouring looks so...be careful?

Makeup Don'ts

Don't wear eyeliner on your bottom lids. It weighs your face down. A thin line of liquid liner for the top lid is fine (I'd suggest brown).

Don't wear bright red lipstick--go for a natural look.

Don't wear too many sparkles :cry:
alinor wrote: Don't wear too much lipgloss
Your Beard

Dudes, shave. 5 o'clock shadow makes you look like an escaped prisoner.

Please feel free to add your other tips! I'll probably add more stuff in the future, too :).

Also, from your friendly, neighborhood, LS22. On lighting:
lawschool22 wrote:Professional lighting on the cheap for Skype interviews:
Change your computer background to a nice amber/orange color so your face looks warm and isn't washed out by the blue LED backlight. Get a lamp, take the lamp shade off, and position it to your left (about 10 o'clock position) and about three feet away - a 40-60 watt bulb is best for this. Turn on the overhead light in the room you're in (it will act as a "hair light" (technical term) and illuminate the top of your head with some shine to give depth). Then get a floor lamp (or put it on a shelf or something) with, preferably, a brighter bulb than the lamp on your desk (75 watts is good). Place it in the 4 or 5 o'clock position, about 5 feet away from where you are seated. For the best effect, place a white poster board or sheet behind the lamp pointed towards the back right of your head.

If you can do this setup in a room with window (covered w/ blinds or a light curtain) that is even better. Set it up so the window is to the right of you. This will give a pleasing contrast, as the lamp to your left will read on screen as a warm color, and the window will read as a cool color. This provides good definition to your face and is a pleasing set up. It is also important to only use one "type" of light in the room. By that I mean, mixing fluorescent with regular tungsten bulbs will cause color issues, as Skype cannot set the white balance properly. I would recommend using all tungsten (or "warm" CFL's) bulbs, plus the window, and you will get a nice contrast but proper color.

Keep your chin slightly up, with your face turned just ever so slightly to the right. But then relax and be natural :). You should always have a slight smile, and you should appear engaged, happy, enthusiastic, etc.

Also - make sure your background is free of clutter. This is very important. A simple, clean room as a backdrop is best. And by setting up the lighting as described above, the room will appear slightly dimmer than you, making you the part that stands out, and causing the background to be less distracting.

Finally, feel free to experiment! All rooms are different. Go to the preferences of Skype and you can see how you will appear. Play around with the angle and distance of the lights until it looks good to you.

This is not a thread I ever thought I would see on TLS; yet it might also be the most useful thread I've read on TLS.

Good job, scoobers. And nice Zoolander reference.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Vincent wrote:
scoobers wrote:Having done five skype interviews this cycle, and several last year for internships, I figured I throw in my $0.02. For interview prep (questions, etc), see Regulus's thread.

All in all, none of this really matters. What matters is having an interview you blow out of the park. But looking your best on camera can make you feel more confident, and that will help you blow the interview out of the park. :D

Clothes:

What Types?
From what I've read, there are two trains of thought here:
1.) Full on professional-meeting-the-President-business-clothes
2.) Sweats and a button down 8)

I think it is all personal preference. Personally, I can be "stiff" in interviews, so I did mine with a nice shirt and yoga pants. I liked this because it let me sit cross-legged, and I just felt more comfortable. For some people, though, getting in full fancy wear can be helpful to put you in the right mindset.

What Colors?
Wear bright colors. Navy, brown, gray--they all look black on screen. I also would avoid white (it can be too harsh) and anything that blends into your skin tone (you don't want to be known as "that dude who may have done his JS1 shirtless"). If you have long, dark hair, the overall effect can be really drab. In addition to avoiding this issue, bright colors brighten up your face and make you look more alert.
On Skype, though, it's important to pay attention to what colors wash out your skin tone. Webcams can be really harsh, and the wrong colors can honestly make you look like a wax sculpture.

A nice, simple way to figure out your skin tone is to look at your veins under natural sunlight. In natural light, look at the veins in your wrist. If they are blue, you are cool, and if they are green, you are warm. If you can't really tell, then you are neutral.

Cool tones work well with these:

Warm tones work well with these:

Source for a lot of this

If you don't fit either of these categories, then you are lucky and are both. This may seem out of place on TLS, but trust me--if my friend wore a bright yellow shirt during her interview (like I did), she would have looked like she had jaundice.

Too confusing? When in doubt, wear red.

Hair:

Once you have thrown on a bright shirt, everything else becomes much easier. If you have long hair (especially if you have long, frizzy hair), I would suggest pulling it back slightly. If you don't, your face can look like it is swimming in hair, and the overall effect--especially if you have dark hair--ends up being similar to wearing dark clothes. I wouldn't suggest pulling it back in a tight bun, though, it could make you look too severe.

Face:

Makeup!

I think makeup goes a long way in Skype interviews. Video has a tendency to make us look very "flat" and washed out, and makeup--together with a nice, bright shirt--can really help that. Obviously, makeup is your own choice, but I would suggest three things (...for a genders, but obviously, it is optional).

1.) BB Cream/Concealer

2.) Highlighter - if you do one thing (looking at you, dudes), highlight! Seriously. It is so easy and it makes such a difference. All you need to do to highlight is buy a light-colored eyeshadow. I personally like a slightly-shimmery one, but if you are afraid to put shimmer on your face, you can skip that.
I used the free Benefit "Watt's Up!" I got from Sephora for their birthday gift this year--I would imagine that would fit most skin tones (since they gave it out for free and it is very neutral/transclucent), but it actually costs like $30 irl. A little eyeshadow thing will be like, $0.99, so go with that. Wet n' Wild makes really good, cheap makeup. Remember--you don't need the colors to last, this interview will only be like 15 minutes :).

Here's a perfect eyeshadow for highlighting from Wet n' Wild.

Here is a random picture from the internet with places I would suggest highlighting. All you do is put a little sweep of color over and blend it in. No one other than you should be able to see it. Unfortunately, I don't know what colors people with a different skin tone or color should use :(.

3.) Bronzer/blush

Lastly, sweep some blush over your cheekbones, and some bronzer in the hollows of your cheeks and up by your temples. Make sure it also matches your skin tone and blends in (when in doubt, google "Nars orgasm dupes," it supposedly looks good on everyone. Or if you have extra money, looking into buying it, then PM me for my address and send me the money).

Blush and bronzer will really help brighten your face up. Don't use too much!

If you actually know how to contour, Skype is a great place to do that. But I've seen people on Skype who don't realize how terrible their contouring looks so...be careful?

Makeup Don'ts

Don't wear eyeliner on your bottom lids. It weighs your face down. A thin line of liquid liner for the top lid is fine (I'd suggest brown).

Don't wear bright red lipstick--go for a natural look.

Don't wear too many sparkles :cry:
alinor wrote: Don't wear too much lipgloss
Your Beard

Dudes, shave. 5 o'clock shadow makes you look like an escaped prisoner.

Please feel free to add your other tips! I'll probably add more stuff in the future, too :).

Also, from your friendly, neighborhood, LS22. On lighting:
lawschool22 wrote:Professional lighting on the cheap for Skype interviews:
Change your computer background to a nice amber/orange color so your face looks warm and isn't washed out by the blue LED backlight. Get a lamp, take the lamp shade off, and position it to your left (about 10 o'clock position) and about three feet away - a 40-60 watt bulb is best for this. Turn on the overhead light in the room you're in (it will act as a "hair light" (technical term) and illuminate the top of your head with some shine to give depth). Then get a floor lamp (or put it on a shelf or something) with, preferably, a brighter bulb than the lamp on your desk (75 watts is good). Place it in the 4 or 5 o'clock position, about 5 feet away from where you are seated. For the best effect, place a white poster board or sheet behind the lamp pointed towards the back right of your head.

If you can do this setup in a room with window (covered w/ blinds or a light curtain) that is even better. Set it up so the window is to the right of you. This will give a pleasing contrast, as the lamp to your left will read on screen as a warm color, and the window will read as a cool color. This provides good definition to your face and is a pleasing set up. It is also important to only use one "type" of light in the room. By that I mean, mixing fluorescent with regular tungsten bulbs will cause color issues, as Skype cannot set the white balance properly. I would recommend using all tungsten (or "warm" CFL's) bulbs, plus the window, and you will get a nice contrast but proper color.

Keep your chin slightly up, with your face turned just ever so slightly to the right. But then relax and be natural :). You should always have a slight smile, and you should appear engaged, happy, enthusiastic, etc.

Also - make sure your background is free of clutter. This is very important. A simple, clean room as a backdrop is best. And by setting up the lighting as described above, the room will appear slightly dimmer than you, making you the part that stands out, and causing the background to be less distracting.

Finally, feel free to experiment! All rooms are different. Go to the preferences of Skype and you can see how you will appear. Play around with the angle and distance of the lights until it looks good to you.

This is not a thread I ever thought I would see on TLS; yet it might also be the most useful thread I've read on TLS.

Good job, scoobers. And nice Zoolander reference.
+1

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 am

Tag.

Thanks scoobs. I've got a big phone interview coming up this week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”