Emails from Schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
js123

New

Emails from Schools

Post by js123 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Just out of curiosity, when a school sends you a letter to apply and/or information about the school, does that mean you have a stronger chance of getting in? I know I may be reaching here, but I was just wondering if anyone has found any sort of correlation.

It may be more wishful thinking than anything but worth asking lol. :wink:

Yea All Right

Silver

Re: Emails from Schools

Post by Yea All Right » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:18 pm

I would say there is little correlation.

Plenty of people, including myself, get fee waivers from T-14 schools but don't get accepted (based off mylsn.info). The schools give us these fee waivers to persuade us to apply and thus increase their application numbers.
Last edited by Yea All Right on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Candy Wrappers

New

Post by Candy Wrappers » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:26 pm

i don't think so. i got emails from columbia reminding me their prestige and app deadline. but my numbers are CLEARLY not what they are looking for.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 am

Yea All Right wrote: Plenty of people, including myself, get fee waivers from T-14 schools but don't get accepted (based off mylsn.info). The schools give us these fee waivers to persuade us to apply and thus increase their application numbers.
Yep. The more people they convince to apply, the more they can reject, and thus brag about how they only accept a relatively small percentage of applicants.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:01 am

Out of curiosity how much of a benefit is selectivity to the school? Does being 10 or 11 really provide any material benefit to anyone? I know admissions people are not compensated like law professors are, but it just seems like such a waste of resources for applicants, admissions and LSAC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 am

I think it's just a prestige thing. I don't see any tangible benefit. It's just nice to be able to brag that so many people want to attend your school that you only end up giving offers to 8% of them. If you're sending fee waivers to people who are almost certainly rejects, you're not really creating that much more work for yourself, since presumably the admissions officers can just take a cursory look at the application, see the person is under both 25%s, note no mind-blowing softs, and toss it in the reject pile.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:28 am

Selectivity is one of the factors that goes into the USNWR ranking (it's weighted the same as the peer assessment score).

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 am

-
Last edited by Optimist Prime on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:18 pm

I expressed knowledge that it's part of the USNews rankings, but how much value does this really have? There are many factors, and it's not like the medians. Also, employers do actually consider the medians on some level when hiring. The largest or at least 1 of the largest reasons the t-14 place more students is the assumption that the average student is fucking smart, which justified or not justified is based on their LSAT and UGGPA. Yes, prestige factors in, but I think that's secondary to the presumption 1 can't be an idiot to do the work, and that somehow LSAT and UGGPA are indicative of idiocy or lack thereof.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Progress01

New

Post by Progress01 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:32 pm

js123 wrote:Just out of curiosity, when a school sends you a letter to apply and/or information about the school, does that mean you have a stronger chance of getting in? I know I may be reaching here, but I was just wondering if anyone has found any sort of correlation.

It may be more wishful thinking than anything but worth asking lol. :wink:
If that's the case, then that would have meant I should be getting in everything from William and Mary to Michigan State. Not happen. :wink: It just means they're advertising. There is no correlation.

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:31 am

The letter I received from Yale Law inviting me to apply specifically mentioned the TLS forums and told me all of you were a bunch of idiots.

I didn't fall for it. No application fee for you, Yale! :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”