Question about Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rdelaney

Bronze

Question about Addendum

Postby rdelaney » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 pm

So I'm finishing up my applications for the Fall cycle and I'm writing my personal statements, but also feel like I should submit an Academic and Diversity Addendum.

My question is would the addendum's hurt my application in the end if they end up seeming redundant? Most of what I have to write in my personal statements have an inkling of information from the addendum and they just go into greater depths themselves.

Thoughts?

Nova

Platinum

Re: Question about Addendum

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:04 pm

I don't think you have to worry about that

you should be more worried about whether the topics of your addendums are appropriate.

rdelaney

Bronze

Postby rdelaney » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Nova wrote:I don't think you have to worry about that

you should be more worried about whether the topics of your addendums are appropriate.

Well the academic addendum is explaining why there is a huge upward trend in my GPA in my last two semesters after I took two semesters away from school (when I completely bombed). The diversity statement is explaining my family background of being a foster home and adoptive family of four children, I didn't want to put it in my personal statement, but it had an impact on my choice to go to law school.

Nova

Platinum

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:11 pm

the diversity statement topic is really good

the academic addendum depends on why you bombed

rdelaney

Bronze

Postby rdelaney » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:13 pm

Nova wrote:the diversity statement topic is good

What about the Academic? Is it too much? My GPA went from an average of 2.5 to like a 3.8 in my last 53 credits...

Just leave the little I mention in the personal statement and leave it?

Nova

Platinum

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:15 pm

what reason are you saying caused your bad grades?

rdelaney

Bronze

Postby rdelaney » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Nova wrote:what reason are you saying caused your bad grades?

I was working 40+ hours paying for school. Basically I couldn't afford to pay for college and expenses and worked to the point I couldn't focus in school. After I left my job and went back to school, my grades went up.

Nova

Platinum

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:24 pm

that's legit, imo.

yeah I wouldn't worry about either addendum hurting you. You still shouldn't expect to outperform your numbers since law school admissions is pretty much just a numbers game. But the addendum at least gives some context and demonstrates that you have the ability succeed academically.

a lot of people's addendum's are poorly written, so I would recommend posting them anonymously in the PS forum for honest feedback.

rdelaney

Bronze

Postby rdelaney » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:25 pm

Nova wrote:that's legit, imo.

yeah I wouldn't worry about either addendum hurting you. You still shouldn't expect to outperform your numbers since law school admissions is pretty much just a numbers game. But the addendum at least gives some context and demonstrates that you have the ability succeed academically.

a lot of people's addendum's are poorly written, so I would recommend posting them anonymously in the PS forum for honest feedback.

Cool, Thanks so much!

malleus discentium

Silver

Postby malleus discentium » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:55 am

Counterpoint. Sure it's Y, but I doubt her advice here is ungeneralizable. If it's substantially similar, I would not submit it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�