2011 grad -- would it look bad if I have no academic lor? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ElliotNessquire

New

2011 grad -- would it look bad if I have no academic lor?

Post by ElliotNessquire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:32 pm

I was a communications major with a really poor GPA (2.8 to be exact). Am I far enough removed from college that it makes sense that I only have professional recommendations or should I exhaust all resources to try and track down a previous prof?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: 2011 grad -- would it look bad if I have no academic lor?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:37 pm

All professional recs is fine. A professor LOR is a "nice to have" in your situation but it's far from a dealbreaker. What schools really want to see is a high LSAT score.

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:All professional recs is fine. A professor LOR is a "nice to have" in your situation but it's far from a dealbreaker. What schools really want to see is a high LSAT score.

Thanks. I took the February LSAT and am waiting for my score. Based on my practice tests, I should score in the 155-157 range. That's without really having any grasp at all on how to tackle the logic games section. If I could truly master that and then retake in June with the same performance in my LR and RC sections, I think I could get myself positioned really nicely to be competitive for scholarship money to schools around the KS/MO/OK areas with a score north of 162.

BPlaura

Bronze

Post by BPlaura » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Tiago here - anyone who is a few years out should still have at least one academic LOR, but it's especially important in your case because of your lower GPA. You really need someone to speak to your academic qualifications.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:03 pm

I think it's really going to depend on the school. UVA will probably want to see one, but it probably won't matter for George Mason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:14 pm

BPlaura wrote:I'm going to respectfully disagree with Tiago here - anyone who is a few years out should still have at least one academic LOR, but it's especially important in your case because of your lower GPA. You really need someone to speak to your academic qualifications.
I think targeting the sub 160 LSAT + a sub 3 GPA is a bigger problem than his LOR. OP is not going to go to a law school worth going to.

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:29 pm

onionz wrote:
BPlaura wrote:I'm going to respectfully disagree with Tiago here - anyone who is a few years out should still have at least one academic LOR, but it's especially important in your case because of your lower GPA. You really need someone to speak to your academic qualifications.
I think targeting the sub 160 LSAT + a sub 3 GPA is a bigger problem than his LOR. OP is not going to go to a law school worth going to.

The majority of the best firms in Kansas care much more about where you finish in your class + involvement in law review than if you went to a T1.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:46 pm

I finished school several years ago, and I didn't use any academic LORs. I've been accepted at the schools for which I'm near the medians, meaning I'm not underperforming my numbers (thus far, knock on wood, no jinx).

However, my gpa is good and I have grad school experience. YOU can't settle for "not underperforming" your numbers, because that's not a good gpa. Ball out on the LSAT, that is crucial.

Perhaps others can speak to this, but I'd strongly consider a GPA addendum here. 2.8 in comm doesn't sound rull good.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:15 pm

I'd agree if I thought the schools this guy is applying to cared about academic qualifications.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Perhaps others can speak to this, but I'd strongly consider a GPA addendum here. 2.8 in comm doesn't sound rull good.[/quote]

I don't know that I really have all that great of an explanation other than that I worked 45+ hours a week + had a melanoma scare during my senior year. Would it still be worth it to mention this in an addendum?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Working 45 hrs/week is certainly a limiting factor. The melanoma bit could be worth mentioning if it corresponded with your worst semester. Regardless, don't be lengthy and don't sound like you're making excuses (even if you are, really).

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:17 pm

cron1834 wrote:Working 45 hrs/week is certainly a limiting factor. The melanoma bit could be worth mentioning if it corresponded with your worst semester. Regardless, don't be lengthy and don't sound like you're making excuses (even if you are, really).

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated. I actually sold cars throughout college to pay for school. Made more money my last year doing that than I probably will right out of law school. I never did find fulfillment in it though, but I'm grateful that it allowed for me to graduate from UG debt free. I still could have done better than I did in school though.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:19 pm

ElliotNessquire wrote:
onionz wrote:
The majority of the best firms in Kansas care much more about where you finish in your class + involvement in law review than if you went to a T1.
every firm cares about where you finish your class, but that's a lot harder to control than what school you go to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BPlaura

Bronze

Post by BPlaura » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Totally agreed with cron about the addendum. This is probably obvious, but make sure to include that job on your resume as well.

ElliotNessquire

New

Post by ElliotNessquire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:34 pm

BPlaura wrote:Totally agreed with cron about the addendum. This is probably obvious, but make sure to include that job on your resume as well.

Many thanks. Will work on the addendum this evening.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:35 pm

"You guys, you know that auto-admit with a 2.8/155? He doesn't have an academic LOR!"
"Oh shit. Ding."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”