Last minute applications Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cam2308

New

Last minute applications

Post by cam2308 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:13 pm

This is my first time posting here, but I have been reading for awhile and haven't seen any situations that mirror mine so I thought I'd jump in. I apologize for the length but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.

I graduated in May 2013 from a state school and moved to NYC. I had a lot of family issues throughout (mother's serious illness, sister's suicide attempt and subsequent institutionalization) and didn't like my school, and my GPA ended up at a 3.3. After graduation, I realized how stupid it was not to take school more seriously and this semester I began Columbia's Postbac program where I am retaking the classes that really tanked my GPA (all business classes, from my bus admin minor). Obviously it's still early in the semester but I am doing really well and expect straight A's. To complete the program requires 4 classes. I am taking two now and could complete the final two this summer.

My practice LSAT scores were consistently 175-179 before the Dec test, so I went in expecting to score in that range. I think the pressure got to me more than I realized and I ended up with a 167 (worse than I had done on any test except my first diagnostic). I retook in Feb and feel much more confident about a mid 170's score, but the games section tripped me up a little, and I'm not expecting over a 175.

My plan had been to sit this cycle out and apply for 2015. In fact, I assumed that I was passed the deadline already. However, I really am anxious to start school. I just learned that some schools have pushed back their deadlines to March 3, which I realize is a week away. However, with applicants at lower levels lately, I was curious if anyone thought it would be worth taking a shot and squeezing my application to Columbia in by the deadline. I know that my gpa is horrible but I was curious if my taking action to correct it at Columbia might carry any weight.

If I were to apply and not get in, would that have any impact on an application in the next cycle?

If I should wait, is there any situation under which it would be a good idea to retake the LSAT in June? Or are 3 tests too many? Also, is there anything I can do in the next year to help my candidacy? My softs are pretty nonexistent except for a summer US Senate internship in college, and I'm a white female. Columbia/NYU are my top choices. I want to remain in NYC if at all possible, but I feel like they're both long shots.

Thanks in advance if anyone has taken the time to read through!

butt-head

New

Re: Last minute applications

Post by butt-head » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:24 pm

It's very late in the cycle and your GPA is below Columbia and NYU's typical GPA floors for non-URM. You should go with your original plan and apply early (and broadly) next cycle. Definitely retake in June (or later) if you think you can improve your score. Schools don't care how many times you've taken the test. Also, your postbac work won't influence your results... all that usually matters is LSDAS GPA + LSAT. Sending out apps this cycle wouldn't hurt you in future cycles, but you will surely get better results next year.

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Last minute applications

Post by malleus discentium » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:53 am

The Postbac program classes won't affect your GPA and the fact that you're taking those classes won't matter to adcoms. So with a 3.3 you have an okay shot at CN with 175+
It's possible that scores will be released March 3, but that doesn't give you a lot of time to decide whether to apply once you get it given that the deadline is the same day. My advice would be to plan not to apply this cycle. Then once you get your score, if it's 175+, apply broadly and early in the fall. If it's not, retake in June. Three tests is not a problem.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”