Updating resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goterps123

New

Updating resume

Post by goterps123 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:02 am

I recently got an internship for 3-4 months leading up to law school in the fall. How should I go about notifying schools of this for which I have not received a decision yet? Letting them know can only help add to my overall application profile IMO

mx23250

Silver

Re: Updating resume

Post by mx23250 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 am

goterps123 wrote:I recently got an internship for 3-4 months leading up to law school in the fall. How should I go about notifying schools of this for which I have not received a decision yet? Letting them know can only help add to my overall application profile IMO
I recently did this for a school I haven't heard from yet after getting two additional publications in peer-reviewed journals. I basically just wrote a 1 page letter indicating my continued interest and informing them of the "new developments to my application" since submitting. I don't think you have to submit an entirely new/updated resume, just let them know of the internship and your continued interest, IMO.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 am

mx23250 wrote:
goterps123 wrote:I recently got an internship for 3-4 months leading up to law school in the fall. How should I go about notifying schools of this for which I have not received a decision yet? Letting them know can only help add to my overall application profile IMO
I recently did this for a school I haven't heard from yet after getting two additional publications in peer-reviewed journals. I basically just wrote a 1 page letter indicating my continued interest and informing them of the "new developments to my application" since submitting. I don't think you have to submit an entirely new/updated resume, just let them know of the internship and your continued interest, IMO.
I think this is a great answer. I would add that submitting a whole new resume would also be fine. If you do so, be sure to draw the school's attention to the new item(s) in your LOCI.

The advantage of the whole new resume is that new reviewers may look at this first. So, (and you have no way of knowing this) if everyone who will see your application has already seen it, then the new resume does nothing. The LOCI listing new strengths is fine. However, if your app will go under review again, the new resume may present a better "you" than your previous app on first glance.

I would personally do both if I'd submitted recently, but again, definitely not necessary. I would probably just do the LOCI if they'd been sitting on my app for a while.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:31 am

I'd just mention it in an LOCI. An internship probably isn't going to be a big enough deal to sway an admissions decision, but it'd be good as a line in an LOCI.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 am

More is not better in law school admissions. Adcoms read hundreds of files and don't like it when you give them stuff they didn't ask for and don't want. For example, an updated resume. Sometimes it's worth updating a resume if you have something substantial to add to it. A four-month internship is not one of these things. If you're going to send a LOCI after a WL then throw in some info about the internship. But don't update the admissions office with just an meager summer internship.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:37 am

mx23250 wrote:
I think that's the way to go. Btw, two publications is awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”