2015 USNWR T25 Prediction Contest (Winners Announced)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
patogordo

Re: 2015 USNWR T25 Prediction Contest (LEEKS)

Postby patogordo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:58 pm

lakers180 wrote:who won the contest?

you did, but the prize is now a kick in the balls, because the rankings CHANGED EVERYTHING

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:59 pm

lawschool22 wrote:There are plenty of things in life that don't matter and yet people still analyze and are interested in those things. I think we get the point that the rankings don't matter. But if someone is curious about the raw scores what's wrong with that?

I admit that all these mocking posts (mine included) are silly. The USNWR rankings are a spectacle, and it's natural to be curious about something that people--sensibly or not--like to focus on. But, man, there really is a lot of focus on these stupid rankings. And when you go to one of the admissions forums and see people making choices--in some cases, life-altering choices--because of the largely arbitrary rankings of a magazine, it's hard not to cringe. I don't see anything wrong with getting the message across that the rankings are meaningless and should be ignored by those making decisions about their careers.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:00 pm

lawschool22 wrote:There are plenty of things in life that don't matter and yet people still analyze and are interested in those things. I think we get the point that the rankings spankings don't matter. But if someone is curious about rawhide scores what's wrong with that?

Carry on.

Nothing.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:02 pm

rpupkin wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:There are plenty of things in life that don't matter and yet people still analyze and are interested in those things. I think we get the point that the rankings don't matter. But if someone is curious about the raw scores what's wrong with that?

I admit that all these mocking posts (mine included) are silly. The USNWR rankings are a spectacle, and it's natural to be curious about something that people--sensibly or not--like to focus on. But, man, there really is a lot of focus on these stupid rankings. And when you go to one of the admissions forums and see people making choices--in some cases, life-altering choices--because of the largely arbitrary rankings of a magazine, it's hard not to cringe. I don't see anything wrong with getting the message across that the rankings are meaningless and should be ignored by those making decisions about their careers.

See this may have been true once, but this particular set of rankings CHANGED EVERYTHING so hard that they now matter. Inform your friends.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:03 pm

rpupkin wrote:

I agree with you, but I think for the most part you're preaching to the choir ITT. Unfortunately the people making decisions based off USNWR are not reading these threads. This entire contest is a tongue and cheek way of mocking the rankings. I think people (like myself) who are just curious about the rankings as a spectacle in and of itself, just don't want to be mocked for discussing the rankings. We know they're meaningless.

Actually, I think I wouldn't mind so much if someone could come up with a joke other than the "DROVES" meme.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I agree with you, but I think for the most part you're preaching to the choir ITT. Unfortunately the people making decisions based off USNWR are not reading these threads. This entire contest is a tongue and cheek way of mocking the rankings. I think people (like myself) who are just curious about the rankings as a spectacle in and of itself, just don't want to be mocked for discussing the rankings. We know they're meaningless.

Actually, I think I wouldn't mind so much if someone could come up with a joke other than the "DROVES" meme.

Hey, fuck you, CHANGES EVERYTHING got the Spivey stamp of approval.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Carry on.

This coming from the guy who admitted to watching CNN on a regular basis.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:08 pm

i'm trying to think of a good word to describe how people flock to this thread to make the same repetitive jokes. any ideas?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Hey, fuck you, CHANGES EVERYTHING got the Spivey stamp of approval.

That's true. I forgot about that one. Proceed.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:

Carry on.

This coming from the guy who admitted to watching CNN on a regular basis.

Passing on taking the bait. Let's get back to talking about DROVES.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:10 pm

I know everybody says that ranking #'s don't matter, and I agree. but I was wondering what people thought about whether trends matter, over the course of 5...or maybe 10 years.

for example, if a school has dropped from low 20's to mid 30's in the past half-decade, does that indicate an actual drop in prestige that should affect 0L desireability, or are even trends as irrelevant as the specific yearly rankings, themselves.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:10 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:I admit that all these mocking posts (mine included) are silly. The USNWR rankings are a spectacle, and it's natural to be curious about something that people--sensibly or not--like to focus on. But, man, there really is a lot of focus on these stupid rankings. And when you go to one of the admissions forums and see people making choices--in some cases, life-altering choices--because of the largely arbitrary rankings of a magazine, it's hard not to cringe. I don't see anything wrong with getting the message across that the rankings are meaningless and should be ignored by those making decisions about their careers.

I agree with you, but I think for the most part you're preaching to the choir ITT. Unfortunately the people making decisions based off USNWR are not reading these threads.

I'm afraid that's not the case. Yesterday ITT, I posted a couple of comments suggesting that I had access to special "insider" rankings. The posts were (I thought) clearly outrageous. Nevertheless, several people PM'd me, asking for the "insider score" for a school they were interested in attending. Although these folks didn't post ITT, they were lurking.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:I know everybody says that ranking #'s don't matter, and I agree. but I was wondering what people thought about whether trends matter, over the course of 5...or maybe 10 years.

for example, if a school has dropped from low 20's to mid 30's in the past half-decade, does that indicate an actual drop in prestige that should affect 0L desireability, or are even trends as irrelevant as the specific yearly rankings, themselves.

Low 20's to mid 30's? I would say that would change things. Possibly EVERYTHING

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:12 pm

bjsesq wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:I know everybody says that ranking #'s don't matter, and I agree. but I was wondering what people thought about whether trends matter, over the course of 5...or maybe 10 years.

let's say teens to mid 30's then. when does a consistent annual drop start to matter for schools in that range, or does it?

hahaha i do appreciate the sarcasm but let's just consider this question seriously for a moment. if it still doesn't matter in your opinion, then say it.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:14 pm

I think if a school dropped many, many spots (I'm talking 30-50 spots) I would at least have some questions as to why that happened. I'd look very carefully at any trends in job numbers as well. Low 20s to mid 30s though? Irrelevant.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:14 pm

rpupkin wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:I admit that all these mocking posts (mine included) are silly. The USNWR rankings are a spectacle, and it's natural to be curious about something that people--sensibly or not--like to focus on. But, man, there really is a lot of focus on these stupid rankings. And when you go to one of the admissions forums and see people making choices--in some cases, life-altering choices--because of the largely arbitrary rankings of a magazine, it's hard not to cringe. I don't see anything wrong with getting the message across that the rankings are meaningless and should be ignored by those making decisions about their careers.

I agree with you, but I think for the most part you're preaching to the choir ITT. Unfortunately the people making decisions based off USNWR are not reading these threads.

I'm afraid that's not the case. Yesterday ITT, I posted a couple of comments suggesting that I had access to special "insider" rankings. The posts were (I thought) clearly outrageous. Nevertheless, several people PM'd me, asking for the "insider score" for a school they were interested in attending. Although these folks didn't post ITT, they were lurking.

Yeah, you're probably right. But those people probably don't get the sarcasm in this thead either, and think that this actually does CHANGE EVERYTHING. Lol

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:15 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

let's say teens to mid 30's then. when does a consistent annual drop start to matter for schools in that range, or does it?

hahaha i do appreciate the sarcasm but let's just consider this question seriously for a moment. if it still doesn't matter in your opinion, then say it.

I'm saying the rankings are a bad metric to judge whether or not to go. Other orgs do it in a more efficient and direct way that matter to a prospective's interests.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Doesn't really matter. When you get out of the T14, region and job placement trump ranking. Figure out where you want to practice, and go to the best school in that region for as little as possible. If that means going to #50 over #25 then so be it.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:17 pm

20 to 30? Bullshit cover. You're looking at attending American, aren't you?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:29 pm

Thing is, rankings do matter a little, because rankings help bring in higher-quality students. They may not be completely rational, but they have a real effect on student quality. And potential employers are concerned about student quality. They're not going to make any snap decisions based on 1 or 2 years of ranking data. But if your school is consistently and reliably pulling in higher LSAT/uGPA students for many years in a row, that's probably going to draw some attention to firms looking for a place to expand recruiting.

I'd be interested to see what happens to the UIUC classes that entered with a 160 median. The one that just graduated did pretty well, but they were I think the last class to actually have T25 credentials. C/o 2014 and beyond is where the bottom falls out on the medians.

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:32 pm

Bikeflip wrote:

20 to 30? Bullshit cover. You're looking at attending American, aren't you?

haha nah. i am wondering what has happened to the bc/bu thing over the last decade. obviously, they are still the "strong boston" schools, but i have noticed a serious downward trend over the past five years...for bc in particular.

wiz

Postby wiz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:34 pm

patogordo wrote:i'm trying to think of a good word to describe how people flock to this thread to make the same repetitive jokes. any ideas?

DROVES

Postby 04102014 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:35 pm

JCougar wrote:Thing is, rankings do matter a little, because rankings help bring in higher-quality students. They may not be completely rational, but they have a real effect on student quality. And potential employers are concerned about student quality. They're not going to make any snap decisions based on 1 or 2 years of ranking data. But if your school is consistently and reliably pulling in higher LSAT/uGPA students for many years in a row, that's probably going to draw some attention to firms looking for a place to expand recruiting.

I'd be interested to see what happens to the UIUC classes that entered with a 160 median. The one that just graduated did pretty well, but they were I think the last class to actually have T25 credentials. C/o 2014 and beyond is where the bottom falls out on the medians.

yup

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:37 pm

which brings me to another point that I do not think is brought up that often. take two strong schools in the same market. USC/UCLA or BC/BU. To a 0L, ranking might matter a ton when it comes down to deciding which of the two to go to (assuming one has gotten into both)...perhaps even more than scholly money. if the higher-ranked school's yield is gonna be way higher, they are gonna consistently get better-numbered students, and this will probably affect jobs and prestige, won't it? or do I have the connection in the wrong order?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:39 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:which brings me to another point that I do not think is brought up that often. take two strong schools in the same market. USC/UCLA or BC/BU. To a 0L, ranking might matter a ton when it comes down to deciding which of the two to go to (assuming one has gotten into both)...perhaps even more than scholly money. if the higher-ranked school's yield is gonna be way higher, they are gonna consistently get better-numbered students, and this will probably affect jobs and prestige, won't it? or do I have the connection in the wrong order?

NO NO NO NO

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”