baked

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wzimmer8

baked

Postby wzimmer8 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:36 pm

anyone ever taken the LSAT baked or even half baked? a buddy of mine took the June exam stoned out his mind and still got a 166.

Nova

Re: baked

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:38 pm

getting high generally slows & dumbs you down

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 pm

If for no other reason, I'd be afraid that it would mess with my sense of time, and that I'd find myself only halfway through a section at the five-minute warning.

sandwich

Postby sandwich » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:17 pm

wzimmer8 wrote:anyone ever taken the LSAT baked or even half baked? a buddy of mine took the June exam stoned out his mind and still got a 166.

....I mean, that's pretty amazing. Weird, but amazing. I kind of hope I don't end up competing on a curve with that guy, because I have the feeling I would lose.

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:52 am

is this like what every person says who didn't kill the SAT?

Dude! I was so wasted! Ha Ha! <looks around>

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:50 am

wzimmer8 wrote:anyone ever taken the LSAT baked or even half baked? a buddy of mine took the June exam stoned out his mind and still got a 166.

Is your friend John1990?

notalobbyist

Postby notalobbyist » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:00 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:

Is your friend John1990?

Would John1990 really risk that with the kill squads after him? Besides, everyone knows John1990 got a 170...

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:05 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:

Is your friend John1990?

Miss that guy

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 am

jk148706 wrote:Miss that guy

said no one ever.

bcbias

Postby bcbias » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 am

I know someone who did, scored a 174, and got accepted into the holy trinity.

Nova wrote:getting high generally slows & dumbs you down

I don't know if this is particularly true for some chronic users. Many of the high LSAT scorers and quite a few successful engineers I know were serious stoners in undergrad. I wouldn't recommend risking it but my friend who scored 170+ each try claimed it slowed things down for him. I'm assuming that maybe since the LSAT is based more on cognitive ability and how well you solve problems through habitual methodology (rather than simple memorization), it would offer some advantages on the LSAT for him. I have heard of being baked improving acuity in athletes, so maybe this effect can be paralleled in some academic performances. Obviously there is the possibility that these people and their experiences are anecdotal as it wouldn't be hard to find people with opposite experiences. My guess is that these people who used it and found academic success really didn't need it to do so. If they made it a consistent part of their everyday lives, they were probably used to handling the effects and there would be no net change in their abilities.

Personally I think the perception of marijuana is due to change in the near future. As a bio major undergrad, I used to always think my plant physiology and intro bio professors were just potheads when they talked about marijuana having far too of a negative reputation but they may be right. There isn't sufficient enough evidence of it's effects and there are many common misconceptions of it. The body of research behind it is minimal since it's still mostly illegal but there has been evidence that there are positive effects attributed to it's use, particularly some of the non-THC compounds found in it. As it continues to gain acceptance on state levels, hopefully more investigative research will culminate. However marijuana itself is federally and widely illegal on the state level and will most likely remain so. Its non-THC composing compounds are a different story and could be isolated and repurposed if there are identifiable benefits.

John Everyman

Postby John Everyman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:58 am

bcbias wrote:

I know someone who did, scored a 174, and got accepted into the holy trinity.

Nova wrote:getting high generally slows & dumbs you down

I don't know if this is particularly true for some chronic users. Many of the high LSAT scorers and quite a few successful engineers I know were serious stoners in undergrad. I wouldn't recommend risking it but my friend who scored 170+ each try claimed it slowed things down for him. I'm assuming that maybe since the LSAT is based more on cognitive ability and how well you solve problems through habitual methodology (rather than simple memorization), it would offer some advantages on the LSAT for him. I have heard of being baked improving acuity in athletes, so maybe this effect can be paralleled in some academic performances. Obviously there is the possibility that these people and their experiences are anecdotal as it wouldn't be hard to find people with opposite experiences. My guess is that these people who used it and found academic success really didn't need it to do so. If they made it a consistent part of their everyday lives, they were probably used to handling the effects and there would be no net change in their abilities.

Personally I think the perception of marijuana is due to change in the near future. As a bio major undergrad, I used to always think my plant physiology and intro bio professors were just potheads when they talked about marijuana having far too of a negative reputation but they may be right. There isn't sufficient enough evidence of it's effects and there are many common misconceptions of it. The body of research behind it is minimal since it's still mostly illegal but there has been evidence that there are positive effects attributed to it's use, particularly some of the non-THC compounds found in it. As it continues to gain acceptance on state levels, hopefully more investigative research will culminate. However marijuana itself is federally and widely illegal on the state level and will most likely remain so. Its composing compounds are a different story and could be isolated and repurposed if there are identifiable benefits.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”