Northwestern Interview - Ulterior Motives... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gmoney71313

New

Northwestern Interview - Ulterior Motives...

Post by gmoney71313 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:39 pm

I have my off-campus interview with a(n?) NU alum later this month. However, after hearing back from other schools, I am 100% sure I will not attend Northwestern. Additionally, any $ from NU will not affect my other acceptances/application decisions. My main goal in attending this interview is pick the brain of my interviewer, because she/he is in the exact field and position that I hope to enter.

So, should I feign a strong interest in NU law, or instead, be straightforward with my interviewer? I do not plan on hijacking the interview, but if she/he asks questions regarding my other applications, I would rather not lie just to receive an inconsequential acceptance.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Interview - Ulterior Motives...

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:45 pm

gmoney71313 wrote:I have my off-campus interview with a(n?) NU alum later this month. However, after hearing back from other schools, I am 100% sure I will not attend Northwestern. Additionally, any $ from NU will not affect my other acceptances/application decisions. My main goal in attending this interview is pick the brain of my interviewer, because she/he is in the exact field and position that I hope to enter.

So, should I feign a strong interest in NU law, or instead, be straightforward with my interviewer? I do not plan on hijacking the interview, but if she/he asks questions regarding my other applications, I would rather not lie just to receive an inconsequential acceptance.
I would get in contact with them and tell them you are accepting elsewhere, but that you are still interested to meet. Also, if they don't want to that is fine.

You are getting into a field that demands honesty and positive reputation and I don't find it prudent to start off poorly before you even start.

JJ123

Bronze

Post by JJ123 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Feign interest in Northwestern Law then ask them some questions. I asked my interviewer a couple of career-related questions. I think it actually flatters them a bit (as long as it isn't obnoxious).

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:27 pm

Money you receive from them might not affect your decision, but it might improve your leverage for more money with other schools.

I'd have to echo JJ123's thoughts. I also never planned on going to NU, but I got a lot from the interview by feigning interest and getting a lot of great career/school/life advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”